Parking brake releasing itself.

daveh44

The electronic parking brake on my Karoq has released itself on several occasions. I put it into the local dealer who couldn't find any problem and it was ok for a few weeks but today the problem has reoccurred - traffic lights, parking brake on, then red "brake on" warning light goes off and car rolls forward ! Has anybody else heard of or experienced this problem ?

Autohold applies the EPB automatically when you turn the ignition off.

What gearbox has @daveh44 got?

If its a manual, and you are waiting at the lights with EPB on. If you are in gear with the clutch down and you lift the clutch ever so slightly the EPB will release.

If you have autohold on, then everytime you stop and if the brake pedal is pressed firmly enough, the autohold will engage all brakes hydraulically (not the EPB) and the brake light will illuminate green on the dash.

Again if in gear and lift the clutch a bit, the autohold will release. To avoid this happening unintentionally, put the car into neutral.

Don't know how things work with DSG but I suspect it something similar, if you are in gear, EPB or Autohold will release if you touch the throttle. So put it in neutral.

7 hours ago, xman said:

Autohold applies the EPB automatically when you turn the ignition off.

What gearbox has @daveh44 got?

If its a manual, and you are waiting at the lights with EPB on. If you are in gear with the clutch down and you lift the clutch ever so slightly the EPB will release.

If you have autohold on, then everytime you stop and if the brake pedal is pressed firmly enough, the autohold will engage all brakes hydraulically (not the EPB) and the brake light will illuminate green on the dash.

Again if in gear and lift the clutch a bit, the autohold will release. To avoid this happening unintentionally, put the car into neutral.

Don't know how things work with DSG but I suspect it something similar, if you are in gear, EPB or Autohold will release if you touch the throttle. So put it in neutral.

Many hundreds of years ago I was taught that when you are sitting at lights you always engage neutral and apply the parking brake.

Sitting with the clutch depressed and the foot brake applied puts unnecessary wear on the clutch release bearing, and if you have been braking heavily before coming to a stop the brake pads will be putting all that heat back into the disc.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vegit8 said:

Many hundreds of years ago I was taught that when you are sitting at lights you always engage neutral and apply the parking brake.

Sitting with the clutch depressed and the foot brake applied puts unnecessary wear on the clutch release bearing, and if you have been braking heavily before coming to a stop the brake pads will be putting all that heat back into the disc.

That's still true for manual cars.

Never a day goes by without me seeing cars 'creeping' forward at traffic lights.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vegit8 said:

I do this in my automatic too.

When an automatic car gets rear-ended at a junction, if in drive, the car can end up shooting off out of control post-collision.

Not necessary with a DSG if 'Autohold' is enabled to put in neutral as long as you have your foot off the accelerator or brake, the car is held there.

If the Stop / Start is enabled then in D with 'Autohold' touching a pedal will fire up the engine, and if the engine is running you can just move off.

If you want to use N and the Parking Brake / E-PB then you can.  Just as you can have Stop / Start functioning if you want.

Some VW Group vehicles have the brake lights on when 'Autohold' is functioning and some do not have them on.

Regarding Parked cars and the Parking Brake releasing & letting a car run away, then there are cases of that happening.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/427195-handbrake-release-close-shave

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/443202-electric-parking-brake

• Like 2

9 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Not necessary with a DSG if 'Autohold' is enabled to put in neutral as long as you have your foot off the accelerator or brake, the car is held there.

I've just checked my car as I didn't think it acted the same as above.

It turns out I was correct too. If I come to a stop with the autohold on then putting the gearbox into neutral causes the brake to be released and the car to roll.

Maybe others can check their car's operation?

• Thanks 1

Thanks Xman and all for the info. My Karoq is a manual and I was in a queue of traffic with EPB on and car in gear with clutch depressed so maybe I had slightly released the clutch without realising ; I'll try to replicate later ! As a matter of interest, I did find a report on Autoinsider.co.uk that there was a recall for Karoqs in November 2018 relating to cars built between 1.7.17 and 31.8.18 for what appears to be this same problem : "Parking brake may be released inadvertently when disengaging clutch", recall ref 45H5. It required a software update to fix.

Anyway, car is in local dealer week after next so maybe then I'll get clarification.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have manual Karoq.

2 points - mine was recalled for software change to stop unwanted brake release (never experienced myself). The other point was my wife, when driving it, inadvertently switched off the auto brake function - the switch on my car is beside the actual brake lever/ switch. Took a while to realise what had happened. Had called Skoda support before noticing the system had been switched off.

• Like 1