Dash Cam

Helipilot

Skoda dealers supply and fit dashcams, pity you hadn’t negotiated the fitting of one as part of your deal.

My son got the dealer to connect in wiring kit for dash cam as part of his Enyaq deal and he transferred the dashcam from his previous car.

It is to get the best premium. The Enyaq and my Land Cruiser will have a combined premium of £428 comprehensive. It is the same price as the LC and my 7 year old Mazda CX5 which both have dash cams. It is not mandatory but there is a discount with it.

• Thanks 1

Does the Enyaq have an option for a USB type C port next to the rear view mirror? It looks like most other Skoda models are now offering this as an option from Model Year 2021 models onwards. But I didn’t see this as an option on the Enyaq. This USB type C port next to the rear view mirror is perfect for a dashcam. But if I remember correctly, it wasn’t a cheap option on the Karoq, and probably costs more than paying to have a dashcam professionally fitted by Halfords.

I have a Nextbase 522GW dashcam, together with the optional rear window add-on camera, and I have been very pleased with it. I paid about £145 for the set, from Halfords. I also bought the kit for hardwiring it into the car’s electrics, and I paid Halfords to install it. I’ve heard lots of other people complaining about Halfords’ installation of dashcams, but they did a nice, tidy job on my BMW 2-Series Gran tourer.

On my BMW, the 12V port is turned off when the ignition is turned off, but on Skoda vehicles I believe the 12V port remains live even when the ignition is off. So I assume this means that if you just use the 12V port for your dashcam, the dashcam will remain turned on permanently, and potentially drain your battery if you don’t unplug it?

On 20/08/2021 at 10:25, Mark-Surrey said:

Does the Enyaq have an option for a USB type C port next to the rear view mirror? It looks like most other Skoda models are now offering this as an option from Model Year 2021 models onwards. But I didn’t see this as an option on the Enyaq. This USB type C port next to the rear view mirror is perfect for a dashcam. But if I remember correctly, it wasn’t a cheap option on the Karoq, and probably costs more than paying to have a dashcam professionally fitted by Halfords.

The 2021 Enyaq does not have an option for a USB port of any kind in the housing for the rear view mirror.  Well at least none of the Enyaqs I have driven recently didn't have one.   

Apparently the USB port is only an option ( bit pricey £60) on the higher trim levels of the 2021 Superb, Kodiaq, Karoq, Kamiq and Scala.  Why Skoda chose not to offer one to the new Enyaq is anyone's guess !  It would have made life so much easier for anyone wishing to fit a dashcam. 

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/kodiaqrs_usb_c_mirror/

53 minutes ago, TigerTony said:

The 2021 Enyaq does not have an option for a USB port of any kind in the housing for the rear view mirror.  Well at least none of the Enyaqs I have driven recently didn't have one.  

Apparently the USB port is only an option ( bit pricey £60) on the higher trim levels of the 2021 Superb, Kodiaq, Karoq, Kamiq and Scala.  Why Skoda chose not to offer one to the new Enyaq is anyone's guess !  It would have made life so much easier for anyone wishing to fit a dashcam.

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/kodiaqrs_usb_c_mirror/

I seem to recall people not liking that the USB position didn't change over with RHD cars.

An excellent idea that could have been fine tuned - or even added as a 'better than nothing' option on the Enyaq.

they didn't incliude the USB on the Enyaq but it is really easy to fit yourself. The glovebox is easier to remove than on an Octavia and you  can wire it in to the fuse box in about 15 minutes no problem. If you want to see how look up ID3 dashcam hardwire in youtube. The Enyaq ID3 and ID4 are basically the same in terms of the fuse box

• Like 1

Not sure about easy. Routing the dash cam wire from the screen to the fuse box is not straightforward. The a pillar trim on the Enyaq is very securely fitted, and you’ve got curtain airbags to route around. Having watched the video on YouTube, I’m not convinced how the guy routes the cable behind the airbag then into the rubber seal. He has clearly damaged his headliner and the part of the seal he puts the cable in is surely meant to be compressed when the door closes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, classic said:

Not sure about easy. Routing the dash cam wire from the screen to the fuse box is not straightforward. The a pillar trim on the Enyaq is very securely fitted, and you’ve got curtain airbags to route around. Having watched the video on YouTube, I’m not convinced how the guy routes the cable behind the airbag then into the rubber seal. He has clearly damaged his headliner and the part of the seal he puts the cable in is surely meant to be compressed when the door closes.

Which video have you watched ?  Can you enclose a link ?

He has performed a typical dash cam install.  

The A post trim has special fixing clips which are a right pain to remove.  There is a special procedure for removing and replacing them to prevent damage.  These are designed to limit movement of the trim piece if the side curtain air bag goes off. You dont want to be smacked in the face with a piece of plastic !

Getting the cable round the back of the curtain airbag at the top is the most critical part, its fiddly but not impossible. You need small fingers and no sharp objects.

He has fed the cable correctly down the inside of door seal and not against the compressible part of the door seal.  it doesn't show it very clear in his video. He's using his thumb to push it in place.

I usually pull this rubber door seal away from the vehicle to give greater access to install the cable neatly.  It just simply pushes back in place afterwards.

The headlining is quite resilient, you can pull and bend it and it will usually pop back into shape ok.   All edges are usually covered by other trim.

Wait till you have to install the rear camera as well, now that is a challenge !

• Like 2

Never understood why the dash cam isn't part of the car nowadays - it has a camera in it anyway for all the driver assist stuff, so it just needs somewhere to put an SD card for recording and some menu updates.

• 2 months later...
On 23/08/2021 at 20:16, classic said:

IMG_3612.thumb.JPG.01f7ac5d0a5fa82a2b2d4fed58ba54f8.JPG

That video link is good. I had already done my install before watching it and also used fuse 36 (rear wiper) and the Nextbase fuse jumper kit.

I used a much nearer and neater grounding screw on the left side of the fuse box in this photo.

Due to the airbag question he mentions, I had already routed by cable up the other side of the pillar next to the windscreen. You can just see it on the dash at the bottom of the pillar. Might move it later, but notice that doing his install in the video did mash up the roof liner a bit.... and the car is only days old....

• Thanks 1