Shortages UK

@Lee

Shortages UK  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK rejoin the Single Market and Customs Union to help alleviate impacts of Brexit?

• Yes
    • No

I hope that George Eustice, Grant Shapps, Priti Patel, Kwasi Kwarteng & other Government Secretaries of State are down at the South Coast with Job Centre Plus employees and getting people signed up for training courses and driving license application forms.

Plenty people wanting into the UK for a better life and obviously hard workers, many of whom will be high skilled which is just what the UK needs. 

• Like 1

I've always thought it's stupid to bring in immigrants while there are millions of unemployed UK citizens.

We should only bring in people where there are no UK people who could do the job, either straight away or with some training.

If costs have to go up to pay UK people, that's fine by me.

• Haha 1
  • Groan 1

@Yearofthegoat

That is the old UK.

Now you have special citizens.

Not going to leave their phones alone.

Too posh to catch chickens, or process them in 2 Sisters factories.

Not going to rear pigs and slaughter & butcher them.

Not going to spend hours in fields bending in all weathers and in sheds packing.

Not going to wipe others arses or clean up after them. 

Not going to p1ss in a pot while living in a lorry for days on end.

Lets see Boris have every person on Job Seekers, ESA or EMA or what ever sanctioned if they are not queued at a Job Centre on Tuesday with a packed lunch and ready to be processed to go to work someplace or to training or go litter picking, gardening etc.

Lets see the 650 MP's acting as Gang Masters or Supervisors in their Constituency working along with the people doing a hard days work for a fair days pay.

Even one week a month at the Job Centre processing those that are going to be working.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

I hope that George Eustice, Grant Shapps, Priti Patel, Kwasi Kwarteng & other Government Secretaries of State are down at the South Coast with Job Centre Plus employees and getting people signed up for training courses and driving license application forms.

Plenty people wanting into the UK for a better life and obviously hard workers, many of whom will be high skilled which is just what the UK needs. 

Speaking of the South Coast, I noticed that's where most of the food and fuel shortages are located. 
I also saw that people in Kent and Surrey are having to boil water due to high levels of e-coli. I don't know if that's related to the shortage of processing/ treatment chemical that was mentioned a couple of weeks ago. Maybe, maybe not. But lots of untreated sewage also being dumped into the sea along the south coast.
https://news.sky.com/story/e-coli-warning-as-tap-water-in-thousands-of-homes-in-surrey-and-kent-could-be-contaminated-officials-say-12428882
https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/wastewater-chemicals-shortage-may-see-partially-treated-effluent-flushed-into-english-rivers/4014397.article
https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2021-10-07/warning-issued-as-23-cornish-beaches-are-polluted-with-sewage
https://todayuknews.com/science/water-industry-calls-for-cleaner-bathing-rivers-amid-fears-over-raw-sewage-overflow/

• Like 1

I watched a couple complaining about people arriving in Nike Trainers and with Smart Phones.  How can they be refugees they asked?

Maybe that is because they worked and earned and were not in poverty.

Do that couple not know that dossers in their area that have never worked might not be seen dead in Nike Trainers and have only the best Smart phones.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

I watched a couple complaining about people arriving in Nike Trainers and with Smart Phones.  How can they be refugees they asked?

Maybe that is because they worked and earned and were not in poverty.

Do that couple not know that dossers in their area that have never worked might not be seen dead in Nike Trainers and have only the best Smart phones.

I've met quite a few refugees during my time here. One from Yemen was a book keeper. Another, also from Yemen, was an airport manager. I've met tailors, bankers, nurses, teachers etc etc. It's a myth to think they are all unskilled scroungers. All the ones I've met just want a peaceful family life and to make a better life without the sounds of gunfire or drones or bombs.

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 2

Thats a farmer on the telly saying the Military are going to have to dispose of pigs and they need Military Vets to help out now.

No way,

they are too busy getting ready for the Celebrations for the Queen next year.  Loads of training of Horses and Riders needs doing.

https://bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0010fjx

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Thats a farmer on the telly saying the Military are going to have to dispose of pigs and they need Military Vets to help out now.

Direct them to the Cabinet Office on Whitehall ;) 

So is the truth 27 HGV drivers visas applications or, as Johnson claimed, 127 HGV drivers visas? It seems the Government have refused to answer that question.

Why did the PM say 127 visas had been applied for?

Bizarrely, the Cabinet Office and other Government departments have refused to officially confirm why Mr Johnson said 127 visas had been applied for. So it’s unclear whether he misspoke, or was instead giving an accurate figure for the total number of HGV drivers applying for visas (rather than just fuel tanker drivers, which was what The Times’ story referred to).

https://fullfact.org/news/boris-johnson-HGV-driver-petrol-crisis/

I was watching Dan Walker & Boris and posted on here after i heard what Boris said.  He tried to make it like Dan Walker was wrong repeating what was in the times.

It was clearly about the 300 Tanker Drivers and nothing to do with 5,000 HGV drivers.

Boris made out that those asking for drivers were the ones doing wrong as they had nobody lined up to come in.

You and Ken posted earlier.

Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 18.35.08.png

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

I was watching Dan Walker & Boris and posted on here after i heard what Boris said.  He tried to make it like Dan Walker was wrong repeating what was in the times.

It was clearly about the 300 Tanker Drivers and nothing to do with 5,000 HGV drivers.

Boris made out that those asking for drivers were the ones doing wrong as they had nobody lined up to come in.

You and Ken posted earlier.

Yeah I remember posting it and Ken's reply. TBH I don't believe a damned thing Doris says. Some journalists would do well to check the weather themselves if he says it's raining.

Edited by @Lee

I have waited on some come back on Grant Shapps on Sky news yesterday on saying how quick driving license applications are being processed.

Those that have not applied online have been told 6-10 weeks, and many can not apply online or put relevant information online.

This week just those needing a provisional renewed have been  on the media saying they have waited all year.

Get the Military into the DVLA, or more staff and break the industrial actions, or pay the Skilled & Efficient staff higher wages,

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58171769

Pay everyone higher wages or stop deducting so much from the lowest paid in the country that are those most needed.   'Not serious there'. 

What i mean is cut the wages of the best paid.  Those that are Civil Servants getting more than 3 times the average salary.

Conscription for anyone not employed / paying Tax & NI, or a carer, parent with care of children or in training for work which they will do after qualified.

Get the UK working, fill the vacancies. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

4 hours ago, Yearofthegoat said:

I've always thought it's stupid to bring in immigrants while there are millions of unemployed UK citizens.

We should only bring in people where there are no UK people who could do the job, either straight away or with some training.

If costs have to go up to pay UK people, that's fine by me.

The jobs typically filled are low skilled minimum wage. 

They fill the void UK workers shun. 

The ones who moan most about having jobs stolen are the career unemployed and the retired. 

Even offering over the odds UK farms can't get pickers happy to do manual labour in a field in all weather's. Cleaning companies have suffered the same struggle finding workers to clean toilets. 

So many of these workers, paying taxes to fund the NHS etc, are here doing the tasks we don't want to. 

Market forces 😉 

• Like 2

I see as the UK faces crises after crises of fuel and food shortages, rising energy prices etc etc etc brave Sir Doris has bravely run away to a fridge in Marbella for a week. Yes, that Marbella that's in the EU. I bet a pound to a pinch of **** he didn't have to wait for ages in the non EU queue at the airport. And he likes to compare himself to Churchill who led from bomb shelters under Whitehall. Pah! He's frit and couldn't even lead a horse to water never mind get it to drink.

Edited by @Lee
  • Groan 1

5 hours ago, @Lee said:

Yes, we can just train people up to use a scalpel and perform open heart surgery. What could possibly go wrong :thinking:

Most of those are British born children of immigrants or parents whose parents were immigrants. Most of those who are imported come from outside the EU.

As for just training them… the number of doctors each year is limited, so they could increase that and train more quite easily without a problem.

Of course most jobs we have a current shortage of don’t require a 5 year degree and then years of on the job training. This is at least not unrealistic to get some people into new jobs with training.

• Like 2

Interesting article in the papers that the fuel stations ran down their stock of E5 fuel by one quarter so stock were relatively very low......

E10 farce as switch to greener fuel 'major factor' behind petrol crisis

E10 PETROL was a "major factor" behind the UK's fuel crisis, industry chiefs have claimed.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1502750/e10-farce-petrol-shortage-switch-greener-fuel-major-factor-crisis-retailers-ont?utm_source=mantis_rec&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=more_like_this

Head of petrol Association said " 

"For weeks, we had been emptying our tanks of E5, the old fuel, as fast as we could to get ready for E10," he said.  "We had all run our petrol stocks down.  "

And of course the E10 fuel is less calorific value so drivers would need to carry more to go the same range.

• Groan 1

25th September BP had to close filling stations   tanker driver issue according to them.  One of the biggest suppliers as bx producers and filling station owners   A better  explanation is required as to why Filling Stations were holding less E10 in their tanks compared to the E10 they usually get in.  Was it because Winter Spec E10 was due to start being delivered in October.  Was it because they were concerned about E10 stocks and issues storing it.  Condensation in tanks?  Or why?        The running down tanks is not an excuse really, it was September 1st that E10 was introduced, and with lots of notice given. 

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Most of those are British born children of immigrants or parents whose parents were immigrants. Most of those who are imported come from outside the EU.

As for just training them… the number of doctors each year is limited, so they could increase that and train more quite easily without a problem.

Of course most jobs we have a current shortage of don’t require a 5 year degree and then years of on the job training. This is at least not unrealistic to get some people into new jobs with training.

It was more a throwaway comment to YearoftheGoat, Mark. 
Lots of academics who do the training are leaving academia or have left. Uni's are cutting courses left right and centre at the moment. There are 'fast track' courses for medics but then you need people who want to do those courses. Lots of students from overseas, including the EU, are no longer coming to UK unis so unis are losing income. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

An explanation is required as to why Filling Stations were holding less E10 in their tanks compared to the E10 they usually get in.  Was it because Winter Spec E10 was due to start being delivered in October.  Was it because they were concerned about E10 stocks and issues storing it.  Condensation in tanks?  Or why?        The running down tanks is not an excuse really, it was September that E10 was introduced, and with lots of notice given. 

And why wait until two weeks after the shortages hit to start coming up with E10 as an excuse? Why not say from the start 'look, we're switching to E10 so please be patient'?

• Like 2

The UK government went out of their way to make sure that those with the language requirement as in speaking English and the income level and if Tory supporters with the wealthiest that visas are not an issue.      The language and pay level is an issue.  Now that butchers can get £40,000 plus a year just the language issue and their  nationality obviously.

And not being from commonwealth countries.   (A good knowledge of English is required to be able to know when the PM or ministers are telling lies.)

The government wanted non EU economic migrants from around the world.

Anyplace but those nearest in countries that usually economic migrants might come from.

There was a good point made this morning on a BBC programme. 

There were plenty highly paid Polish & other nationality plumbers in the UK and now there are not.  

High paid, high skilled and made very very unwelcome by some in the UK. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

Kwasi Kwarteng MP & Business Secretary lying! 

Surely not,  must just of been mis-speaking in error, poorly briefed, told porkies by others even. 

Nobody would set him up as a fall guy would they.  Highly Skilled, Highly Paid, highly connected and well married after leaving his ex girlfriend who is an Energy & Cyber Consultant and former Home Secretary and former Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change.

People moaning about the Poles annoys the hell out of me. They were cheaper because even though the hourly rate was the same or more, they do it in less time. They did not charge me for waiting for it to dry or for newspaper/tea breaks all the time.

Generally the did a bit, left to go to another site whilst it dried, then came back whilst the next was drying etc. Not only did it cost less, it was generally a better job too.

I think we have a good chunk of people who don’t like competition, because they’d have to work for it. Those who are genuinely good here are worth every penny, but we seem to have many doing no more than the bare minimum.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cheezemonkhai said:

People moaning about the Poles annoys the hell out of me. They were cheaper because even though the hourly rate was the same or more, they do it in less time. They did not charge me for waiting for it to dry or for newspaper/tea breaks all the time.

Generally the did a bit, left to go to another site whilst it dried, then came back whilst the next was drying etc. Not only did it cost less, it was generally a better job too.

I think we have a good chunk of people who don’t like competition, because they’d have to work for it. Those who are genuinely good here are worth every penny, but we seem to have many doing no more than the bare minimum.

James mays car program on the BBC summed it up when discussing the fall of British car manufacturers through strikes and poor workmanship whilst the likes of VW worked with unions to improve standards. 

Like you say they do the work and don't shirk or complain. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

25th September BP had to close filling stations   tanker driver issue according to them.  One of the biggest suppliers as bx producers and filling station owners   A better  explanation is required as to why Filling Stations were holding less E10 in their tanks compared to the E10 they usually get in.  Was it because Winter Spec E10 was due to start being delivered in October.  Was it because they were concerned about E10 stocks and issues storing it.  Condensation in tanks?  Or why?        The running down tanks is not an excuse really, it was September 1st that E10 was introduced, and with lots of notice given. 

Perhaps if users found that the E10 was doing 2,3,4, or 5% less mpg than E5 then drivers would switch to the 97 or 99 octane fuels, ie Momentum etc that does not have the corrosive elements of E10 and the lower calorific value.  We know that is about 2% but it depends how the Engine Management system adapts.  Old Autocar article seems to give the worst side of the change. The history of the E10 roll out in many other countries seem to suggest 2 to 5% worst mpg.  I would suppose the newer the better it is at remapping itself to E10.     https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-e10-fuel-could-reduce-cars-economy-10-cent

Fuel consumption and emissions tests by What Car? found E10 can impact fuel economy by up to 10 per cent
The introduction of new E10 fuel could increase motorists' fuel consumption by more than 10 per cent. The new fuel, which contains 10 per cent bioethanol, will be rolled out across the UK as part of the government’s commitment to reducing emissions.  But real-world testing by What Car? magazine found that vehicles running on E10 are less efficient than the current E5 (up to five per cent bioethanol) blend of fuel across every engine type tested. This means cars have to use more of the new fuel, costing drivers much more each year. What Car? tested E10 against pure unleaded using a Dacia SanderoHyundai i30Toyota Prius+ and a Mini Paceman. The Sandero registered a 11.5 per cent drop in economy, while the i30’s consumption increased by 9.8 per cent.