Shortages UK

@Lee

Shortages UK  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK rejoin the Single Market and Customs Union to help alleviate impacts of Brexit?

• Yes
    • No

25 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

I listened to Lord Frost today.  He certainly can talk. 

Clear why he has been a negotiator, a pretty guff one but he can talk. 

I think we'll be hearing a lot more about Lord Frost today on Newsnight etc and in the coming days how Lord Frost is pretty ****ed off with the great deal that Lord Frost negotiated. He's playing with fire IMO. 

He is a dude.

I like one papers article that David Frost tells David Frost what a terrible agreement David Frost negotiated.

I will remember him for his stuff said back when he was not in the employ of a Government.

One of the kind that plays the tune the piper is paid to play.  It is just a job.

https://thenational.scot/news/19641263.one-quote-brexit-minister-lord-frost-wants-forget/

• Like 1

"Hospitality is the sector with the most vacancies per 100 workers"................................

Not surprising considering that the industry like my own went from 100% to zero percent overnight and has remained at that level for 18 months, the majority of staff were always temporary, hired for each job, the few permanent staff will have been forloughed but most simply laid off or the company ceased trading.

It would not surprise me to learn that for every person currently employed there are 100 vacancies for contract workers, or will be when companies start spending on hospitality again, they will have to get their own employees back to work first!

Edited by J.R.

No shortages of Lynx Africa. Not sure why Asda put it all in the George clothing section though. Reminiscent of Soviet era shops where all that was on offer was jars of pickles.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, @Lee said:

Maersk are now diverting container ships from Felixstowe due to a backlog caused by a lack of HGV drivers. More shortages/ delays to come?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/ports-congestion-hgv-drivers-maersk-ships-b1936927.html

I was reading last night that council HGV drivers including those who would normally drive gritting lorries are taking better paid jobs elsewhere. Best make sure your tyres are ready for winter. 

There's clearly some selective reporting going on with regard to this issue...

Typical articles below:

Felixstowe port says HGV shortage a factor in container logjam - BBC News

Christmas shortages loom as Felixstowe struggles with backlog | Supply chain crisis | The Guardian

But buried within them are statements such as:

image.png.5d907e4bb6a75f41690183096b7da9c6.png

image.png.5fef9870b89ad1c278d77b08a182296a.png

So clearly it seems to be a combination of factors and not just a driver shortage issue, but also poor ship scheduling and delayed arrivals plus shipping lines not collecting their empty containers that are then taking up space.

• Like 2

That is what all issues are with shortages, or delays, a combination of factors.    A Driver shortage is a on land issue that is not an imaginary one.     Tin ear Government ministers is another factor. Lack of leadership within government Crown Agencies is another. 

8 hours ago, skomaz said:

So clearly it seems to be a combination of factors and not just a driver shortage issue, but also poor ship scheduling and delayed arrivals plus shipping lines not collecting their empty containers that are then taking up space.

I think a good Bellwether is asking 'is there a problem with X in Northern Ireland?' If 'no' then more likely due to brexit. 

So a UK Government U turn to come on Visa requirement and the English Language requirement.

Obviously it is a World Wide Shortage of Butchers even China and the USA short and no way is it to do with the B word. 

So lets see this time how many take the opportunity of Temporary Visas to come help out the UK's people. 

All those fewer Unemployed in the UK that are going to not be able to get a job now butchering Pigs and other animals because of people from overseas taking the well paid jobs.

50 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Unemployed in the UK that are going to not be able to get a job now butchering Pigs and other animals

I wonder how many unemployed butchers there actually are in the UK?

• Like 1

Rishi Sunak's 'confident' that there won't be any shortages of Christmas present this year. That's me sold then. If Rishi Sunak has confidence in the supply chains, possibly because they've had to bring in a boss of Tesco to sort the supply chains out, then there's no reason to worry is there? 
https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/sunak-promises-christmas-presents-available-for-everyone-amid-supply-issues/

tumblr_64d0c32520b98c8bdb3e778fa8195a98_46b213f4_640.jpg.ba5b8b574763a2e76ff9cd74627bfded.jpg

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Been going through this thread wondering what the hell a "cabotage" is. Honestly thought that this was some sort of cabbage uprising... :speechless:

Cabotage (/ˈkæbətɪ, -tɑːʒ/) is the transport of goods or passengers between two places in the same country by a transport operator from another country.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Cheers Lee. It's just never been a word I've encountered in my life. Oh well, as they say, you learn something new every day. Until now when looking through this thread I thought it was some sort of sabotage move by cabbages... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So until today it was that they needed more EU drivers.. Now that EU drivers who are here are allowed to do unlimited deliveries for 2 weeks it’s going to take business away from the UK companies.

Make your minds up.

I do think there’s a bit of the unions upset because this undercuts their talk of strikes. Just as much however it appears there’s at least some truth in the big companies not wanting to pay what it costs in the UK.

Of course Tesco went rail freight, which I presume means booker did too 👍

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Quality Street shortage scare story greatly exaggerated as far as Supermarkets in Scotland.  Maybe the idea of the manufacturer's manufacturing the story has not resulted in panic buying if that was the ploy. Hero and Celebrations a plenty as well. 

It is Roses that concern me.  Bought a £4 drum last weekend but nearly all gone except the fudge ones.  How many drums should I buy now so I still have some left at Xmas I wonder, at least 12 I am thinking, are they already rationed ie only 3 drums per household ?

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Quality Street shortage scare story greatly exaggerated as far as Supermarkets in Scotland.  Maybe the idea of the manufacturer's manufacturing the story has not resulted in panic buying if that was the ploy. Hero and Celebrations a plenty as well. 

If we tell people they won’t be able to have our product for Xmas hopefully they will panic buy. Oh crap turns out people don’t like our modern rubbish versions of classics… 

Loads of them here too btw 👍

• Like 1

There is obviously a cardboard shortage, a shortage of cardboard to recycle into cardboard.

About time that the UK Government had the makers of Quality Street, Roses, Hero's, Celebrations etc taking back the plastic boxes.

There is no Oil shortage yet for those producing the plastic for producing these Plastic Containers that the sweets are in.

I doubt people will reuse these and have them still in their kitchen cupboard like some have biscuit tins decades after they bought the biscuits or got them as a gift.

Maybe the Plastic Sweet boxes are to be commonly found used in sheds or garages to hold stuff.

There must be at least a couple of tins my mum still uses that are at around 60 years old or more.

Cardboard Shoe Boxes as well that have been in the decades with shoes in or papers, sewing bits and bobs etc.

Edited by e-Roottoot

Put items in tins, put tins in cardboard packs on a pallet👍

Kit cat is a prime example of something that was easy to unwrap and recycle, then it got a plastic wrapper. Now they say they’re working on making better packing, but why not just go back to foil/paper.

btw here are our shortages in two different piles😂😂

A28CDBE9-E2A7-4A5A-9773-CB3CCF31A1C6.jpeg

65FFF931-300F-48E0-B280-F6726CC0B899.jpeg

16 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Put items in tins, put tins in cardboard packs on a pallet👍
Kit cat is a prime example of something that was easy to unwrap and recycle, then it got a plastic wrapper. Now they say they’re working on making better packing, but why not just go back to foil/paper.

btw here are our shortages in two different piles😂😂

Tin are not tin.  Number of importers who classify the metal containers as tin is a major area of customs mis declaration and could result in further supply chain delays.

These containers are nearly always ferrous material mainly and then plated so must be classified as ferrous material.  Use a magnet to determine in ferrous/iron/steel and not actually tin.

Nearly all materials have increased by half or more in the last view months, oil of course, aluminium, wood etc.  What ever one seems to pick the packaging material and the transports costs have sky rocketed recently.  Container prices from China to UK are up around 6 to 8 fold in the last year or two, if you can get it out of China and in through European container ports and before Xmas is already a big challenge.  Air freight still not back to normal pre-covid levels.  The Silk (train) route slowly developing. 

Massive infrastructure build needed.   US ports going 24 hours a day under Presidential order.

Honestly, I don’t believe the suppliers currently.

That plus from an environmental point of view why is is good to buy stuff for Christmas, throw it out and buy new stuff shipped half way around the world.

I know tins are steel or aluminium, but all these bull excuses from companies are pathetic. It all shipped like that in the 70’s 80’s and early 90’s. Are we saying we’re not longer able to do things now?

• Like 1