Shortages UK

@Lee

Shortages UK  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK rejoin the Single Market and Customs Union to help alleviate impacts of Brexit?

• Yes
    • No

6 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I agree, but it is a reason not to rely on 5G as an alternative to fibre for many people.

Oh and what happens when there is a power cut of longer than an hour when you've been moved onto BT's Digital Phone system and you're in a mobile 'not spot'. Not being able to provide exchange power, as the old copper analogue system did, is a risk to life & limb as people found in the storms of last winter.

Totally agree not providing power to call when down, was a massive oversight. I still have a copper line despite having fibre and a wired old phone for the times we have no power.

If we were to get solar/battery in the future I could see that being less of a worry mind.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, @Lee said:

If people are worried about power outages or are in areas prone to them might I suggest considering a UPS? 

That was my home solar/battery point.

it was however an own goal, enhanced by removing the backup battery from the pon (and the voip to pstn phone port too)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, @Lee said:

Pretty sure my sat nav update SD card wouldn't be held up by customs if the UK was still in the Single Market 🙄

Mine wasn't for the Suzuki the other month...

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

Mine wasn't for the Suzuki the other month...

That's probably because the UK has failed to implement brexit import checks five times and counting. Can you imagine the chaos if they did?
Next date is end of January 24. I'm sure they'll delay again. My card is coming from the UK.

Edited by @Lee

On 08/08/2023 at 21:40, cheezemonkhai said:

Totally agree not providing power to call when down, was a massive oversight. I still have a copper line despite having fibre and a wired old phone for the times we have no power.

If we were to get solar/battery in the future I could see that being less of a worry mind.

The wired old phones are being cut off by 2025, has this been mentioned on here?

https://bionic.co.uk/business-connectivity/guides/digital-switchover-analogue-phone-switch-off/

9 hours ago, Stonekeeper said:

The wired old phones are being cut off by 2025, has this been mentioned on here?

https://bionic.co.uk/business-connectivity/guides/digital-switchover-analogue-phone-switch-off/

I think after a storm that cut off power to large parts of the country and left vulnerable people with no contact there is some review taking place.

TBH it’s a bit of a joke that it can be turned off when the answer to emergency calls is use your mobile. Plenty of areas with almost no signal and for companies that provide both landline/data services and mobile services there should be penalties if there is no mobile signal or backup power.

Copper wire going isn’t an issue, but not providing access to emergency services in a power cut is.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Not defending the issue but I think the SP are looking at savings of providing 50v to service copper lines ,the number of people with mobiles in the uk and the chances of needing emergency service and a power outage at the same time being pretty minimal,as I say not defending but fibre is the way forward and a high speed network comes at a cost.

• Groan 1

1 minute ago, Sad555 said:

Not defending the issue but I think the SP are looking at savings of providing 50v to service copper lines ,the number of people with mobiles in the uk and the chances of needing emergency service and a power outage at the same time being pretty minimal,as I say not defending but fibre is the way forward and a high speed network comes at a cost.

Current landlines can use the fibre cables. A lot of the country is already fibre to the box in the street.

That correct,it’s fttc,(fibre to the cab) and the power is required to the cab anything from a few metres up to hundreds,so with many companies providing FTTP (fibre to the premises)they will take the opertunity .

There is a topic already running about the switch off if you guys would like to discuss that there rather than this unrelated topic.

Thank you 👍 

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/516416-digital-switchover-2025-end-of-landlines-just-2-years-away/#comment-5798002

• Like 1

• @Lee locked this topic
  • @Lee unlocked this topic
  • 1 month later...

With the Brexit import checks that have already been delayed five times due to come in from the end of this month I thought I'd share a few pieces I've read over the past week. These are the checks that Jacob Rees-Mogg said would be 'an act of self harm' if imposed.
Prepare yourselves for possible shortages. Usual caveat; just because you haven't seen any shortages doesn't mean others haven't.

The price of many fruits and vegetables on sale in the UK is predicted to rise again when new post-Brexit import controls are introduced later this year.

The government is due to start bringing in new paperwork requirements for EU businesses sending animal and plant products to the UK from next week, with physical inspections beginning in April.

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-01-25/fruit-and-veg-prices-predicted-to-rise-in-uk-when-new-post-brexit-controls-bite

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e3f0515c-e974-4037-a6ee-e2bf77ad451d?shareToken=f14b3ee0525306ee82881e935c3ffe61

https://www.ft.com/content/3188a79b-9252-4ad3-99c8-21b24d6ba654

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-68098177

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

Fascinating listening to James O'Brien's show on LBC this morning on the lies/ ignorance of some for so many years.

On those checks that are due to come in from Thursday, the BBC are finally catching up. No wonder Robbie Gibb wants to make cuts to Newsnight. 

• Like 1

On 27/01/2024 at 11:25, @Lee said:

Just because you haven't seen any shortages doesn't mean others haven't.

And conversely just because you have seen some doesn't mean they are everywhere or it's an issue caused by something like import checks - it could just be a localised issue caused by something as simple as a local warehouse problem or a delivery wagon breaking down.  🙂😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People might just need to shop for what they need, what is in season for their locality and what they can afford and maybe the discount super markets and local business's will see them OK around much of the UK. 

As to Londoners then maybe time to get gardening, get into the allotments or any waste ground & dig for Britain. 

Even dig up the lawns and flower beds of Boris & Jacob and others Brexiteer politicians. 

Lets forget the Lobbying for outside interests like the Business producing Hydrogen for running buses among his other paid work. 

(An Ex transport & health minister.

Can we maybe get a Just Giving Page going for George Freeman MP to help him with his £800 mortgage now £2,000 a month mortgage which a Ministerial Pay of £118,000 a year is not enough to cover it. 

What a shame for someone who's eating and drinking through the week can be subsidised as is his travel for work and other expenses. 

We also help with heating their homes. 

He will just need to get on with being a Venture Capitalist or go back to lobbying for the Farmers Union. 

That should get him by if his good lady is still gainfully employed in Entertainment industry, theatre, TV , Radio etc. 

Keep them in Houses & Homes...

• Thanks 1

I don't think it's a coincidence that with the new border checks coming that the DUP have been given a £3 billion bung and a deal made to get Stormont running again. 

Something fishy about it IMO. 

36 minutes ago, @Lee said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that with the new border checks coming that the DUP have been given a £3 billion bung and a deal made to get Stormont running again. 

Something fishy about it IMO. 

From talking to people I know in NI all they're concerned about is getting a devolved government back up and running...   So the country functions again without the politicians playing silly buggers 

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

DUP, Sir Jeffrey Donaldson. 

The term 'Silly buggers' refers to them and him in this era. 

People might think Jacob Rees-Mogg has his head up his own backside looking backwards but the DUP are on a different level of ignorance.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 07.00.09.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Haha 1