Start stop behaviour

andyste1

I've just switched from a '14 Octavia 2.0TDi to a' 69 Karoq Sportline 1.5tsi (both DSG). One difference I've noticed is with the start/stop feature. On the Octavia, it would only stop the engine if the brake was fully depressed, but the Karoq doesn't seem to be so easily fooled, and the engine stops whenever the car comes to a stop, regardless of how much force is on the brake pedal. 

Additionally, the Octavia would restart the engine on when I took my foot off the brake, but the Karoq only restarts when I start pressing the accelerator, which feels quite strange. 

It's not just me is it? Any idea why there is a difference in how the S/S operates? 

I replaced my 2104 Golf SV with a 2020 Karoq last year (both petrol DSGs.) I agree, the stop/start feature is more eager to stop the engine when you apply the brake, as with my Golf I could choose whether to apply the brake or stop the engine by the pressure I applied to the brake pedal. With the Karoq it is more likely to stop the engine, especially if I'm using the Eco drive mode. Both required a tap on the accelerator though to restart the engine (although the Karoq will also do that if I wiggle the steering wheel slightly.) In my opinion it is down to the more stringent fuel economy / emission control requirements on the newer cars. For the same reason, although you can disable the stop/start with the button, you have to do it every time you start the car, and can't just disable the thing completely by software mods. 

Chris

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CJJE said:

... For the same reason, although you can disable the stop/start with the button, you have to do it every time you start the car, and can't just disable the thing completely by software mods. 

Chris

At least it falls readily to hand, and can find it without looking.  Not buried away in a touchscreen.  I switch it off when at roundabouts on my regular routes, it's like Death Race 2000 on some of them,  but I generally leave it on.  

There are other ways of restarting engine with latest start-stop

turning steering a bit

easing brake pedal 

But like many, I hate the way they cut out when in traffic creeping towards a roundabout or junction just when road clears and then not being able to pull away quickly.

• Like 1

The change is to make the cars more friendly to the environment or at least to appear so under tests.

Difference is also with 'Autohold' and Autohold enabled is that this is actioned when the brake pedal is pressed harder.

Just a Light press of the brake pedal and Autohold does not then come on.

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

There are other ways of restarting engine with latest start-stop

turning steering a bit

easing brake pedal 

But like many, I hate the way they cut out when in traffic creeping towards a roundabout or junction just when road clears and then not being able to pull away quickly.

I was aware of this trait from previous complaints, but mine has never done that. So perhaps it's something reserved for the 1.5TSIs??

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

So perhaps it's something reserved for the 1.5TSIs??

Nope. My 2.0TSI did exactly what Mr SurreyJohn describes yesterday. The motor died as I was pulling up to a roundabout just as an opportunity to scoot out presented itself.

It's not the first time, either.

It would be nice to be able to turn the start/stop off permanently, but you can't on a late one like this.

Having said that, I don't think it's the massive chore to turn it off each time you start the engine that others seem to think it is.

Adding one small thing to add to an already short list of things you need to do before driving off isn't that onerous - it's not as if you have to walk round checking the control surfaces, priming the carburettors, dragging chocks out or swinging a propeller.

What is a pain in the panjandrum is forgetting to switch it off, because the roundabout quick-getaway dead-engine scenario has the potential to be rather more than just a nuisance.

Edited by Phutters
  • Like 1

My 190 ps tdi stops the engine before the car comes to a halt as well.

If you turn off the auto hold the engine will restart as soon as the brake is released without touching the accelerator.

In stop start traffic this can be more convenient combined with selecting manual 1st gear so the car creeps along at walking pace without touching the accelerator or going to second gear which can be too fast.

Same here on mine, engine shutting down before I’ve even stopped.   If I don’t remember to press the “kill the piggin’ SS button” MrsDSL will do so and give me that look!   🙄

Well I didn't think my hands were THAT shaky yet... but perhaps I must be wiggling the steering wheel so much that the Stop/Start doesn't kick in until I'm actually stationary??? ;)

5 hours ago, CJJE said:

I was aware of this trait from previous complaints, but mine has never done that. So perhaps it's something reserved for the 1.5TSIs??

My late '19 1.5 TSi doesn't cut out unless I'm holding it firmly on the footbrake, if it's creeping on a trailing throttle is stays running.  But there is a fraction of a second delay after lifting off the brake and hitting the accelerator before th eengine fires, no matter how fast I change pedals.   IIRC on my previous 2014 Octavia vRS, perol DSG, as soon as I lifted off the brake the engine fired.

29 minutes ago, FlyingGecko said:

My late '19 1.5 TSi doesn't cut out unless I'm holding it firmly on the footbrake, if it's creeping on a trailing throttle is stays running.  But there is a fraction of a second delay after lifting off the brake and hitting the accelerator before th eengine fires, no matter how fast I change pedals.   IIRC on my previous 2014 Octavia vRS, perol DSG, as soon as I lifted off the brake the engine fired.

Waggle the steering wheel gives you that half second you are craving. 

tom

Good tip about wiggling the steering wheel. Tried it today and it does indeed work! 

Regarding comments about autohold, is that a feature avaliable to turn on & off on all models, as I don't recall seeing that on mine? It would be nice to revert to the behaviour that I'm used to, of the engine starting as I take my foot off the brake.  What are the downsides of turning this off, assuming I can do so? 

@andyste1   Does your car actually have 'Autohold' and a button with a yellow light,  light lit and Autohold enabled, light out, off.

?

Or is it Hill Hold Assist / Hill Hold Control you have, press the brake hard enough when on a slight slop and hold the car a few seconds.

vw-golf-mk7-electronic-handbrake-with-autohold.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot

6 minutes ago, andyste1 said:

Good tip about wiggling the steering wheel. Tried it today and it does indeed work! 

Regarding comments about autohold, is that a feature avaliable to turn on & off on all models, as I don't recall seeing that on mine? It would be nice to revert to the behaviour that I'm used to, of the engine starting as I take my foot off the brake.  What are the downsides of turning this off, assuming I can do so? 

It should be the button next to the parking brake. When off you can’t take your foot off the foot brake without the engine starting and the vehicle moving forward if on the flat without touching the accelerator. However in stop start slow traffic I turn off the stop start and auto hold and use this feature to creep along at walking pace.

You can crawl along at walking pace with Autohold enabled and Stop / Start switched off.

Autohold only comes on when you press the brake harder when stopped, light touch enough to stop or slow the car does not have it apply the brakes to hold the car automatically with no foot on the brake pedal or e-Brake applied.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@andyste1   Does your car actually have 'Autohold' and a button with a yellow light,  light lit and Autohold enabled, light out, off.

?

Or is it Hill Hold Assist / Hill Hold Control you have, press the brake hard enough when on a slight slop and hold the car a few seconds.

vw-golf-mk7-electronic-handbrake-with-autohold.jpg

I have the electronic parking brake but not that second button. I was looking around in the infotainment menus!

2 hours ago, andyste1 said:

Autohold button on my Karoq (red arrow):

2021-09-06_212337.png

Edited by agedbriar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since this is start/stop topic…did anybody experienced following..when car is “in need” for more electricity (ac on) and while beeing stationary (idle) revs go to ~1000 rpm start-stop still kicks in and switches off the engine. Seems unlogical to

me to switch off engine., At least my car doing it. Normal? 

• 3 weeks later...

On my  new Sportline 2.0 in traffic the engine will restart once the car in front starts moving. I've also found that the Stop Start seems to come back on after a time of being switched off possible once a certain speed has been achieved for a certain amount of time?

• 2 years later...
On 02/10/2021 at 09:46, DirtyBigBjelke said:

On my  new Sportline 2.0 in traffic the engine will restart once the car in front starts moving. I've also found that the Stop Start seems to come back on after a time of being switched off possible once a certain speed has been achieved for a certain amount of time?

I’ve found this. It’s a pain when the car in front is only moving a couple of feet in a long queue. Overall I like the stop/start facility, but hate the car in front start bit - have you found a way to disable just that aspect?