Change to 18" Gemini from 19" extreme alloys.

47 minutes ago, BERKSHIREVRS said:

I'd be really interested to find a set of alloys that definitely fit/clear the calipers.. I take it most are very close and at best require slim weights. 

Just to let you know standard VW or Skoda MQB 17" wheels fit over the VRS 340mm brakes just fine. I have used Skoda Teron alloys for my winter tyres now for 5 years over the 340mm (f) 310mm (r) with no issues, in fact in some markets the VRS came with 17" wheels as standard

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, flybynite said:

Just to let you know standard VW or Skoda MQB 17" wheels fit over the VRS 340mm brakes just fine. I have used Skoda Teron alloys for my winter tyres now for 5 years over the 340mm (f) 310mm (r) with no issues, in fact in some markets the VRS came with 17" wheels as standard

Also presumably there is no difference on the calipers between the one you have and the 2018 VRS estate? Thanks again.

5 minutes ago, BERKSHIREVRS said:

Also presumably there is no difference on the calipers between the one you have and the 2018 VRS estate? Thanks again.

I'm not sure how accurate it is but the compatability checker from a firm selling them on Ebay say that they are compatible with the 2017 but not the 2018? Not sure how accurate that is mind?

1 hour ago, BERKSHIREVRS said:

AFAIK they used the same TRW caliper on all the 340mm cars up until the MK4 in 2021 part number 5G0615123B. 

There are offset changes with the FL but that should not affect the radial clearance

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BERKSHIREVRS said:

How do you find the difference in ride and did you need the low profile balancing weights?

I don't know, but you're back to a 1" (say 25mm) increase in sidewall height, and the best riding car I've ever travelled in was a Skoda Superb on 17".

Okay great, thanks. It soudn

10 hours ago, flybynite said:

AFAIK they used the same TRW caliper on all the 340mm cars up until the MK4 in 2021 part number 5G0615123B. 

There are offset changes with the FL but that should not affect the radial clearance

Thanks so much, that's really useful to know.

1 minute ago, Kenny R said:

Just to show 17” wheels fit just fine over the 340mm brakes, well on my Kodiaq anyway.

5D846021-F620-4C44-A8E7-3272FEDC6015.jpeg

Thanks Kenny. That's really helpful. For reference do you know if the calipers a similar size?

1 hour ago, BERKSHIREVRS said:

Thanks Kenny. That's really helpful. For reference do you know if the calipers a similar size?

The Kodiaq's 340mm front calipers are the same as the Octavia MK3's 340mm front calipers, except the colour is sometimes different. The Kodiaq uses red or silver, whereas the Octavia MK3 only uses red.

340mm TRW Front Calipers 5G0615123B (Kodiaq, Octavia MK3)

thumb?id=7488952&m=0&n=0&lng=en&ccf=94077812

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/trw/7488952

340mm TRW Front Calipers 3C0615123 (Kodiaq, Superb MK2, Superb MK3)

thumb?id=2184642&m=0&n=0&lng=en&ccf=94077812

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/trw/2184642

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, BERKSHIREVRS said:

Thanks flybynite, that's very handy to know. How do you find the difference in ride and did you need the low profile balancing weights?

Most, if not all, fitting places use low profile stick on weights anyway (about 3.8 mm) and clearance is fine. (as the Kodiak above)

Difficult to judge the ride as most of the difference is down to the difference between the TS860 winters and the PS4 summers but there is a noticeable difference between them in ride and steering feel. I am happier when the summers go on though.

45 minutes ago, Carlston said:

The Kodiaq's 340mm front calipers are the same as the Octavia MK3's 340mm front calipers, except the colour is sometimes different. The Kodiaq uses red or silver, whereas the Octavia MK3 only uses red.

Thanks very much. 

46 minutes ago, Carlston said:

Okay great, all looking good for some winters 🙂

17" Dorado OEM Alloys

As mentioned before the MK III vRS was offered with the above 17" wheels on the continent. 

spacer.png

Gotta admit I like the look of them - I have the Geminis and I love them but Irish roads aren't really meant for anything close to low profile tyres.

Edited by foregonereality
  • Like 1

I wonder if the Mk2 Octavia 17" pegasus or 17" VRS would fit.

I'd imagine they're quite inexpensive at breakers these days (Ditto for other previous generation models) and if they do fit they'd be a simple way to test with a set of all seasons/winters on over the winter.

If you like them you have your answer and if not you can sell them on as winters for a similar amount to your outlay.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, foregonereality said:

17" Dorado OEM Alloys

As mentioned before the MK III vRS was offered with the above 17" wheels on the continent. 

spacer.png

Gotta admit I like the look of them - I have the Geminis and I love them but Irish roads aren't really meant for anything close to low profile tyres.

I agree they do look good.

6 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

I wonder if the Mk2 Octavia 17" pegasus or 17" VRS would fit.

I'd imagine they're quite inexpensive at breakers these days (Ditto for other previous generation models) and if they do fit they'd be a simple way to test with a set of all seasons/winters on over the winter.

If you like them you have your answer and if not you can sell them on as winters for a similar amount to your outlay.

Thanks, I think that's how I'll go, If they aren't for me, then I'll sell them on. 

9 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Just remember to get the right pcd/offset etc as not every car is the same as each other 👍

Thanks. That's where is gets a bit confusing to me, if it's a 7.5 alloy and that takes a 225, would that mean the offset would be the same?

49 is standard fit for Octavia 17s.

The Dorado's are Octavia wheels so don't see any issue. Should bolt straight on provided they are original parts and not copies. 

If they are original and got over your brakes I'd say they will serve you well. 17 tyres are a lot(!!) cheaper too so any expense will be gained back the first time you need new rubber.

When looking at old wheels I seem to remember the MK1 used a PCD of 5x100 and the MK2 onwards used PCD of 5x112.

As such to fit your car, it must be a PCD of 5x112.

If this doesn't match up, then the bolt holes on the wheels won't match up with the bolt holes on the hub and the wheels won't be able to be attached to the car.

As above if the factory fit option is as detailed on the Dorado, I'd find something from a skoda in a scrap yard that is as close as possible to that as a trial set.

Condition of the tyres isn't relevant, as long as they're road legal for the purpose of a quick test before deciding.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

9 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

When looking at old wheels I seem to remember the MK1 used a PCD of 5x100 and the MK2 onwards used PCD of 5x112.

As such to fit your car, it must be a PCD of 5x112.

If this doesn't match up, then the bolt holes on the wheels won't match up with the bolt holes on the hub and the wheels won't be able to be attached to the car.

As above if the factory fit option is as detailed on the Dorado, I'd find something from a skoda in a scrap yard that is as close as possible to that as a trial set.

Condition of the tyres isn't relevant, as long as they're road legal for the purpose of a quick test before deciding.

Thanks, that's really useful to know.