2021 Dacia Sandero Stepway

camelspyyder

• camelspyyder changed the title to 2021 Dacia Sandero Stepway

700kms on it now, mostly on LPG. The engine is tight and we live in a hilly area but the first tank estimate is 36mpg on LPG which is the cost equivalent of 65mpg at unleaded prices. Once it's run in I expect it will loosen up and do better.

Drives nice, very roomy compared with similar small Skoda's & SEATs. And it's cheaper obviously. The only downside (in the UK) is the shocking delivery delays.

Phone integration is excellent, using Google Maps and media apps from my Android. Going to give Waze a try tomorrow.

• Like 1

Clearly, if you have to travel across the channel that often, then the cost benefits of LPG are of no use. 

Living on an island where a full tank of LPG is €18, I'm most happy to have found this version in stock here.

• Like 1

Of course they can travel, have you not seen all the Motorhomes queing up?

They put a sign on your vehicle to alert the pompiers in the event of another fire, that is the only reason that the question is asked during the booking process, it does not say that you cannot travel with an LPG fuelled vehicle.

• Like 2

I was wrong in thinking it was the same model, but the Duster gets a good write up in this week's Express too.  Positive nod to LPG as well:

86A3B33B-EFE1-4931-8700-623A3AEAD819.jpeg

641CB9BF-0933-4441-B62E-434F57545AA6.jpeg

• Like 2

On 19/09/2021 at 12:12, Gaz said:

the Duster gets a good write up in this week's Express too.  Positive nod to LPG as well:

We've got a Duster in the household that replaced a positively knackered Toyota Auris TR that we had before. The little 100hp TCe engine is surprisingly nippy for such a big car! The turning circle on this behemoth is on par with my 2006 Fabia too - in it being easy to manoeuvre. :D

I have a relative who is looking at one of the new bog standard Sanderos for himself, his wife, and the niece he has for most of the week. He had a top of the line Bi-Fuel Sandero to try recently and I got to have a seat in it. It's a very comfortable car I thought, at least.

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
Spelling errors etc.

• 2 months later...

3500kms in and the Dacia is running fine. Unfortunately the mountainous terrain here is savaging the mpg  figures.  I already know from owning a 1.0TSi that these little petrol turbo motors hate hills and headwinds, but the 1.0TCe Stepway has settled down at 31mpg overall which is awful. The only saving grace is the price of LPG. 

Can't imagine how this little motor will do dragging the much bigger Dacia Jogger about from next year.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, camelspyyder said:

but the 1.0TCe Stepway has settled down at 31mpg overall which is awful.

That's about what my Mum gets in her Duster (same engine heavier car) while I jaunt about happily in my Fabia getting 40mpg :D

• 1 month later...

I took one out on test last weekend,  intrigued by the price, styling and standard equipment of the prestige trim stepway, and I'd say there are a lot of good things going on in those regards, was a bit anxious it would feel glacial on the move coming from a 170 diesel yeti we drove in with....and that wasn't the case either, sure its not going to tow a trailer over dartmoor with the same ease as a big turbo diesel but as a family runabout, minor roads and city work it was more than adequate

But.....

I found the steering over assisted and vague and the clutch was also a little fluffy in feel, overall it lacked a lot of what I've always enjoyed in smaller cars over the years, which is a very direct and engaging drive albeit driving at much lower speeds (but my first car was a classic mini and I had numerous small Italians after that)

So nice enough....but not my cup of tea

• Like 1

@Stickysidedown  You didn't happen to check the pressure the tyres were at did you?

There is an issue only too often if taking out a demonstrator, hire car or even a new car and that is the tyres are overinflated to the point of being dangerous in some cases because the dealership pre is lax. 

(With EV demonstrators it is very common as they want the potential customer to think it will go further on less electricity.)

55 minutes ago, roottoot said:

@Stickysidedown  You didn't happen to check the pressure the tyres were at did you?

There is an issue only too often if taking out a demonstrator, hire car or even a new car and that is the tyres are overinflated to the point of being dangerous in some cases because the dealership pre is lax. 

(With EV demonstrators it is very common as they want the potential customer to think it will go further on less electricity.)

The steering is quite overly assisted on these, George. Our Duster feels like a small car in terms of steering feel and has quite a small turning circle too.

Dacia only let us have a 20 min test drive which we only discovered on arrival (wouldn't have bothered as it would be pretty irresponsible to commit new car money without a little more)

Needless to say I didn't spend that time doing the tyre pressures for them 

I think it's a little bit true that more and more modern cars will feel this way now electric racks and semi autonomous Lane keeping are becoming standard

• Like 1

I'm sure it's of no concern to the OP unless they build a tunnel over to Grand Canaria but surprised nobody picked up on this...

On 18/09/2021 at 17:04, Routemaster1461 said:

I wouldn't buy a bi-fuel car, as it is important that I can travel through the Channel Tunnel (normal times) ans, as far as I am aware, LPG cvehicles cannot travel.

On 19/09/2021 at 01:37, J.R. said:

Of course they can travel, have you not seen all the Motorhomes queing up?

They put a sign on your vehicle to alert the pompiers in the event of another fire, that is the only reason that the question is asked during the booking process, it does not say that you cannot travel with an LPG fuelled vehicle.

Seems odd that a Brit living in France has no idea of the rules, which to the best of my knowledge, have been in place since the tunnel opened.  It's made very clear on their website that Le Shuttle will not accept any vehicle powered by LPG ( fully or hybrid ).  I have a friend who travels by ferry for that very reason. Just double checked the rules after reading JR's response...

LPG.JPG.e9d5ad748c5e4c9dc25ef7854c5f9295.JPG

What has motohomes got to do with it?  The rule relates to vehicles powered by LPG, not gas stoves or heaters.  As long as the LPG canister on a motorhome meets the requirements, you can travel on the Shuttle.

Its an occupational hazard of being determined to lecture others that I know better than anyone else.

5 months in, the Dacia still hums along, still guzzling LPG though due to the 1500 foot hill on the way to the shops.

It really is the automotive value and performance equivalent of cheaper branded white goods, just doing everything required to an OK standard and nothing more.

Although unlike BEKO electricals, it hasn't tried to burn down the kitchen yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

yet.

YET. :D

4 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

It really is the automotive value and performance equivalent of cheaper branded white goods, just doing everything required to an OK standard and nothing more.

I feel the same way about both of the family Dacia's. They do what they say on the tin, they're a car. They don't have to be anything else, just basic transport from point A to point B. I like them for that reason. :)

Edited by AnnoyingPentium

4 minutes ago, roottoot said:

I like Dacia as a brand, just wish they'd bring out a new Logan now. They'd be able to bring in some of the folk expecting a Mk4 Fabia Estate I reckon, but I think we discussed that in the Mk4 estate thread, actually. :D

On 22/01/2022 at 22:51, AnnoyingPentium said:

I like Dacia as a brand, just wish they'd bring out a new Logan now. They'd be able to bring in some of the folk expecting a Mk4 Fabia Estate I reckon, but I think we discussed that in the Mk4 estate thread, actually. :D

There is a new Logan saloon in the showrooms in Europe but not UK. The long body version of the range is the Jogger 5/7 seater, currently available to pre-order.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

There is a new Logan saloon in the showrooms in Europe but not UK. The long body version of the range is the Jogger 5/7 seater, currently available to pre-order.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to wait and see if we get the estate though. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Romanian wheeled white goods update.

8000km done and it's still just OK, fingers crossed it remains free of the UK market reliability woes, but after 10 months it's clear that I prefer my ancient Seat Toledo (née Rapid) 1.0 TSI.

The engine, handling, and especially the perceived quality are all superior in the old-tech VW product. 

And both cost me the same brand new, so Dacias volume models dont now seem so cheap really.

The saving grace for the Dacia is the price of LPG, 50p a litre with the Spanish Government fuel rebate until the end of the year.

• Like 4