Replacement Battery

Brijo

My Yeti's battery is the original, nearly eight years old now, and I think a replacement would be prudent before another winter.  My annual mileage is only around 5K nowadays, mainly on a few local journeys a week under 20 miles, but with three or four a year over 300 miles.  The car lives outside, and it can sometimes get very chilly round these hills. 

The AA are offering me alternative Bosch batteries: the S4005 60ah at £127 or the S4E08 70ah at (wow!) £215, member rate, delivered and fitted at home (almost essential for me).  Is the extra amp/hr worth the big jump in price?  Your thoughts would be welcome, guys.

• Groan 1

Hi Brijo. I hope the following may be useful to you:

Firstly, just to be clear: I have no connection to Tayna batteries, but have had good next day delivery service from them on the two occasions I have used them. There are other similar online suppliers.

They are offering the two batteries you mentioned as follows:

Bosch S4 005 at £54.50 + £7.97 delivery

Bosch S4 E08 at £105 99 + £8.37 delivery

These prices do not include fitting, but on my TDI 170 this was a straightforward 20 minute job, without any reprogramming needed as I do not have 'Stop / Start' - I imagine yours will be the same (although I could be wrong) as it is also a 2013 model. If you are unable to fit it yourself, perhaps a friendly neighbour or local garage could do so for a small fee, I would think it would still work out a good bit less expensive than your quoted figures.

I seem to remember (you may need to check,) that some Varta batteries are identical to Bosch, with a different 'badge,' but at even lower prices.

Goosd luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brijo said:

My Yeti's battery is the original, nearly eight years old now, and I think a replacement would be prudent before another winter.  My annual mileage is only around 5K nowadays, mainly on a few local journeys a week under 20 miles, but with three or four a year over 300 miles.  The car lives outside, and it can sometimes get very chilly round these hills. 

The AA are offering me alternative Bosch batteries: the S4005 60ah at £127 or the S4E08 70ah at (wow!) £215, member rate, delivered and fitted at home (almost essential for me).  Is the extra amp/hr worth the big jump in price?  Your thoughts would be welcome, guys.

Those prices are ridiculous! Even Halfords would be cheaper, and they'll fit it too, however I'd go to one of the local tyre and battery places and get them to do it.

And I would agree with Trevor M, Tayna Batteries are an excellent company and sell a good range of batteries. I've bought a few from them 

Edited by Llanigraham

I bought my battery from Tayna last year, a company I'd never heard of before I read about it on here and they are excellent! 

I got an "027 Varta silver top 63Ah".  It was on my doorstep for £67 and yes the Varta is the same as the Bosch.

8 hours ago, Brijo said:

The AA are offering me alternative Bosch batteries: the S4005 60ah at £127 or the S4E08 70ah at (wow!) £215, member rate, delivered and fitted at home.

After 8 years, and Given your self confessed need of help with the job of changing it, I think a new battery would be a prudent investment but to hell with the AA, at those predatory prices it's hard to think of a better reason to NOT shop with them!!!!!!

In any case you don't need 60 or 70Ah, 45/50Ah is perfectly adequate. Buying bigger than necessary is a waste both in terms of money and extra weight to be dragging around.

Find a local independent car accessory shop, a good one will give you a good price and and free fitting on the spot, you're looking for a 26R battery.

I recently replaced mine from Amazon and with Prime free delivery it only cost me just €49 (£42).

I should perhaps add that being in Spain cold starting is not a phenomena I face so with my demands on a battery being more modest then they would be in UK I'm perfectly happy to buy on price alone.

Batteries these days come pre-charged and ready to go.

battery.JPG

Edited by KiNeL

Does the OP's  Yeti not have Start-Stop? ... not sure at 2013MY if it had been introduced by then ... if so does it not require an AGM battery  (similar to the S4 E08) rather than just a std "Wet" battery like the first one being quoted? 

Edited by TruckbusUK

Again can only recommend after purchasing several batteries from here. 

Normally next day delivery. 

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/096xd-advanced/

Advanced 096XD Type Car       £75.00  free delivery.

With 5 year warranty.

Weight 19 kg

Warranty (Years) 5

Ampere Hours 77

CCA (SAE) 780

Voltage 12

Length 278mm

Width 175mm

Height 190mm

Edited by Carlodiesel

There is a battery supplier on the industrial estate in tewkesbury, they supply nationwide and also to europe, I got a good deal for a varta job delivered to me here in finistere, been looking for the details but can't find em!

On 12/09/2021 at 20:16, Brijo said:

"the S4E08 70ah at (wow!) £215,"

As he was interested in a higher power the  ABS was 77ah and with a five year warranty.

Still better value than the Tanya. Even if Brijo has a petrol the small extra would still be worth it. (as long as it will fit)

IMO.

Whilst the prices quoted by the OP are extortionate, the first battery appears to be a normal 12 v battery and the second appears to be an EFB suitable for stop/ start.

Does the OP’s yeti actually have stop/ start? If it does it will require the correct EFB or AGM battery and most likely coded to the vehicle.

I fitted an AGM battery to my Stop/Start Yeti 1.2 DSG after the original EFB battery failed at 4 years old. I got a Varta 096 AGM Battery from Tayna (570901076). I had to recode the Battery Type and I set the serial number to the install date using VCDS. I'm sure it was only about £120 with delivery. Fitting and coding must of taken me about 15 minutes. It's a simple procedure.

I wasn't sure if an AGM was much better than the original EFB type but for the little bit more I thought I'd may as well go for the better battery.

Edit: Battery link https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e39/

Edited by aubrey
Added battery link

Thanks to all of you for your responses - I really didn't expect so many and such thought and detail.  I should have know better!  Sorry to be so long replying, but to answer a few points you raised.... 

Thoughts of a new battery are precautionary, as I have to be as confident as possible that the car will start, without problem, when necessary.  And there must surely be a question mark about an eight-year-old unit.  Just for the record, the car's not a Stop/Start model; it must have been one of the last Classics (Dec 2013).

I stopped doing more than day-to-day maintenance some years ago.  A visiting engineer/mechanic could deal with the car while I carried on working (and earning!) at home, and would get the jobs done quickly and right first time.  Now I'm well retired, but home circumstances have changed and I'm not free to be out without cover.  In more recent times, the dealer would collect and return the car for servicing.  Because of Covid, and new management, that's no longer on offer - something else to replan. 

Don't knock the AA; membership isn't cheap but they've got me out of a couple of serious situations over the years.  I did guess that their quote would be high, for a quick and easy solution, but you've given me some real comparisons!  I'm going to have to do some local market research. 

Thanks again to all of you. 
  • Like 1

Further to Graham's comment earlier, I have always used Halford's batteries (though fitted myself) and have been happy with them, they have all lasted many years.

I don't know exactly where you are located, but I notice that Halfords do offer a Mobile fitting service in the Chilterns area. Might be worth a call to them?

halfords.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm no expert (at anything) but my take on the battery matter is:-

When the car won't start it goes from being ... a useful, convenient and sometimes enjoyable thing to have at your disposal  .... to being ... a useless pile of metal taking up space on your driveway. And we all know the battery will fail at the least convenient time (which often happens to be at the first cold snap of the winter).

I have the luxury of a small, not very valuable, second car which could be used if the Yeti were to stop working for any reason and having that

second car gives me peace of mind but I still have an earnest desire to keep both of them in a fit state to fire up when needed.  So I'm reasonably happy to spend money on a new battery providing I've had, say, five years out of it. And to that end I've changed the batteries on both cars before either have shown serious intentions to fail ... but I reckon I can tell when a battery isn't at its best and is coming to the end of it's days.

I have a little battery powered thingy called a Draper Computer Memory Saver which plugs into the ciggy lighter and keeps the settings intact whilst I disconnect and reconnect the old/new battery. It works perfectly but you can't, easily, get the same thing any more but similar things are available. So that makes installing a new battery foolproof and means I can easily order a battery online at the best price I can see (combined with buying from a company I trust from previous experience) and fit it at home at my convenience.

The two companies I've used most recently and would recommend are Tayna and Battery Megastore.  The most recent battery for the Yeti was a Varta D24 (027) and cost me £67 from Battery Megastore in October 2018.  Mine is not a Stop Start and is a 1.2 petrol DSG.

The only other thing I would mention is that I bought a further 'belt and braces' gadget recently - it was called an Overland 18000mah  5volt /12 volt /19volt Power Bank and Jump Starter and was sold by a company called Mobile Solar Chargers.  I keep one in each car and make sure it's charged up every six months.  It takes the place of a set of jump cables and it got my neighbour out of trouble recently and he was suitably impressed and vowed to buy one for himself.  I'm so impressed I'll leave a link (which the mods will remove if it's considered inappropriate)   https://www.mobilesolarchargers.co.uk/shop/details/overland-waterproof-car-jump-starter

Here ends the first lesson.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...