Problems with updating sat nav on 2013 Yeti

gillycat

The sat nav which came with my lovely 2013 Yeti in started  not to recognise new speed zones in Central London where it went from 30 to 20mph. I asked my local Skoda dealer if they could update. They ordered a new SD card which cost £200.  After the update it was worse than the original system. It still didn't completely recognise those 20 mph zones but it also didn't accept  3 out of 4 post codes, you couldn't input them. So when I took it in yesterday for a service and MOT I asked them to try to resolve this. There is a more up to date SD card (which apparently isn't compatible) but I knew this wasn't the problem. They have tried various things but now the sat nav is even worse than at any time, the maps are the wrong way round and it won't accept any post codes. The dealership have said I need a Tom Tom which has infuriated me. Firstly I have an iphone so don't need a Tom Tom but would like to at least get my sat nav back to where it was initially when it just didn't recognise speed limits in Central London!

Any suggestions?

1 minute ago, Kenny R said:

You could have downloaded and transferred  updated map data to the SD card you already  had from the Skoda update portal for free.

https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com

That depends on him having the Amundsen II unit, and a 2014 will probably be an Amundsen +

• Like 1

Hi Rusty Nuts

Here is an image of the unit. Skoda in Leeds are wanting to delete all the info again and reinstall failing that they are suggesting a 'Kenwood' unit? At present it will not allow most post codes and shows on the screen a road going horizontally when it's straight ahead. They have refunded for the SD card but I just would like a working sat nav.

Thanks

Gill

IMG_1579.jpeg

Hi Kenny R

I'm not even sure my 2013 Yeti had a card? I have been refunded for the new SD card which seems to have completely messed up the brain of the sat nav. Can you go backward or is it like an iphone once updated can you only go forwards?

Gill

3 hours ago, gillycat said:

..... and shows on the screen a road going horizontally when it's straight ahead.

IMG_1579.jpeg

I'm sure there's a preference setting where you can choose to have either Car heading 'up' or North 'up'. Your photo shows it is set to North 'up'

• Like 2

That is an Amundsen+.

There are sd cards available on ebay, from poland or the like, they are around £30, I have used one earlier in the year without problem, cannot remember if it was a copy of the latest software as problems have been reported of regular rebooting, Rustynuts will probably be able to assist with that info! --  good luck!

Edited by Frenchtone

22 hours ago, muddyjim said:

I'm sure there's a preference setting where you can choose to have either Car heading 'up' or North 'up'. Your photo shows it is set to North 'up'

Exactly and it always showed roads as you were driving, straight up ahead and now they are horizontal when you're driving straight ahead as if you need to turn

12 hours ago, gillycat said:

Exactly and it always showed roads as you were driving, straight up ahead and now they are horizontal when you're driving straight ahead as if you need to turn

Have you done as suggested above and pressed the North direction in top right corner to switch between the two?

We have a 2013 Yeti with the Amundsen sat-nav, and gave up trying to update the maps years ago, after what can only be described as a protracted fiasco with various factions of Skoda.

Starting off from new we understood from the sales person that maps were updated every three years, so after three years I was advised to go online to the update portal and enter the VIN. The message came back "there are no updates for your vehicle, please contact your local dealer"

So we contacted our local dealer where an over-enthusiastic lady told us we had to go online to the update portal and put in our VIN etc...

I told her we had tried and had been redirected to the dealer, but she wouldn't have any of it. After a lot of arguing, she reluctantly agreed to ask someone and get back to me. That was 2017 and we haven't heard from her yet.

I phoned Skoda UK where a chap in the help department told me they didn't know anything about what issue maps they were up to, it was something Skoda weren't informed about and he didn't know anything about updating the sat-nav. He recommended going to our local dealer. Brilliant!

As the sat-nav is not very good anyway, especially when compared to Tomtom devices and now mobile phone technology, we gave up with trying to updatethe Skoda sat-nav and just accept it for what it is as a sort of third rate back-up to the alternative technologies.

We still crack up when the lady says "stay on this road - for a very long time".

Thanks Frenchtone, it's some years since I did any searching for updates, and you're right there's SD cards available online with newish maps for £31.

But... There are reports of v9 and later causing system problems, so I may just stick with the old (stable) maps rather than take a risk, especially as the Yeti is out of warranty.

Mine came with V4 installed and I updated it to V9 about 3 years ago. Please would you let me know how you get on with V12.

mine has V9 apparently later versions worked fine in europe ie ver 10 but were unreliable in the uk sphere, it kept rebooting  -  i never pursued later versions so wouldn't know the situation with 11 / 12!

On 05/10/2021 at 13:11, RickT said:

Mine came with V4 installed and I updated it to V9 about 3 years ago. Please would you let me know how you get on with V12.

V12 SD card arrived yesterday, installation was started and after two time-outs from the car electrics I had to give up for the day as I couldn't leave the car open with the keys in overnight! It got up to nearly two thirds complete according to the green bargraph. The installation process was easy to set up and the installation resumed fine after each time-out.

I started it again this morning at 10.07am, and it decided it had to start from scratch!

I left the keys in, with the ignition on and a battery charger connected to make sure the battery didn't flatten itself, and by 13.23 it had finished installing. That's three and a quarter hours to install! There must be a Sinclair calculator chip in there processing the instructions.

I kept checking on it every 15 minutes or so, and at one stage the screen had gone blank. Switching the ignition off made it resume the installation, and switching it back on caused it to go blank again. However on the previous day, switching the ignition off allowed the  watchdog timer switch the satnav unit off!

So apart from the time-outs and the 3.25 hours it takes, all installed fine and the menu confirms it now has V12 installed.

The satnav appears exactly as it did, except now both the Destination Memories and Last Destination Memories will not work! They show up in the lists, and all the details show up when interrogated, but if selected for navigation, the message " This destination memory cannot be selected" or "This last destination cannot be selected" comes up.

There is a workaround - if you rename or edit each entry, it then saves it as a workable destination, but that's a lot of work to fix a serious bug.

Edited by RodDuggan

Hi RodDuggan, Thanks for the update. I remember the issues you mention about the destination memory but figured a way round it though. Mine carried on installing from where it left off so it took few journeys to complete.