100w Main bulbs...

andy ellis

OK folks lets have your thoughts on the fitting on 100w H3 bulbs in the main position on a Fabia for some serious illumination! Turning a nelson eye to the legal issues the most pressing problem is wether the light can stand the heat, but I would have thought the air passing over it will cool it.... But the big problem is the wiring and fuses..... A 55w lamp will draw 4.6amps approx and a 100w will draw 8.3amps. So can get round this by just putting in a bigger fuse.... But can anyone see a flaw apart from maybe a melted wire or two!!!!!

I'd say no it's not possible, but then I'm just fecked off by being constantly dazzled by lights which are unnecessarily bright, Xenons, poorly adjusted or just plain wrong (eg. fog lights).

It probably would work, but you'd be antisocial for doing it... :p

Rob.

Admiral Nelson was blinded in one eye during some battle or other, and always had a cap over one eye like a pirate, so turning a "Nelson Eye" is like turning a "blind eye" - This is a good phrase, and one I hadn't heard before. :thumbup:

I guess if you don't know about British Naval history and the battle of trafalgar and the sorts it's not going to mean a thing?

DevonT...

Thanks for the info on "Nelson's Eye."

I know of Nelson & Trafalgar. I had forgotten he was blind in one eye!!! It makes sense once you understand the connection. What a great phrase to remember and use!

I've read all the CS Forrester "Hornblower" and Patrick O'Brien books. I just love a great "sea-story." Especially stories about "iron men and wooden ships."

The Royal Navy has a great tradition and history. Some of those traditions have found their way to the US Navy.

Too bad about the RN's loss of the grog ration. I don't think the service is the same since its passing.

Cheers!! :coder:

I'd say no it's not possible' date=' but then I'm just fecked off by being constantly dazzled by lights which are unnecessarily bright, Xenons, poorly adjusted or just plain wrong (eg. fog lights).

It probably would work, but you'd be antisocial for doing it... :p

Rob.[/quote']

Can't see why 100Watt main-beams should dazzle anyone, 'cos they'd be dipped BEFORE they would be an inconvenience to anyone else....

As for the fogs, a brick tends to turn them off quite nicely ;)

But the big problem is the wiring and fuses..... A 55w lamp will draw 4.6amps approx and a 100w will draw 8.3amps. So can get round this by just putting in a bigger fuse.... But can anyone see a flaw apart from maybe a melted wire or two!!!!!
You have answered your own questions! Fuses are there to protect the wiring - not to be uprated so that you can push the wiring looms beyond what they were designed to handle. You might be OK, but read the thread about the wiring loom fire on a Felicia. The bill for that repair would make anyone's eyes water.

And I agree with Rob about dazzle. Brighter lights = more dazzle. There are far too many people driving around with maladjusted headlights AND with foglights on when they shouldn't be. One of my pet hates is people using front foglights instead of headlights for 'visual effect'. It used to be youngsters in Novas and the like but the disease is speading to all age groups and car types... :mad2:

Don't see how it affects you Den :confused: Aren't you usually tucked up in your bed with a nice warming cup of cocoa by the time it gets dark?

:D

So, the WRC bonnet pod I've been offered with 6 HID lamps would be fine, if I use the right wiring? Oh goody! :D

Don't see how it affects you Den :confused: Aren't you usually tucked up in your bed with a nice warming cup of cocoa by the time it gets dark?
Dazzle can be a day time phenomenon as well as a night time one, Jon, and is worst at dawn and dusk - particularly when roads are wet. And you know my answer about yet more lights on the front of your car......... :mad2:

Dazzle from low lights is no worse than low sun.

Well quite. However we don't have much control over the sun, whereas we do over anti-social drivers who put in daft bulbs and don't learn how to adjust the direction of the headlamp beam... :rolleyes:

Rob.

Well quite. However we don't have much control over the sun' date=' whereas we do over anti-social drivers who put in daft bulbs and don't learn how to adjust the direction of the headlamp beam... :rolleyes:

Rob.[/quote']

But we are talking Main beam bulbs - the dipped beam are left as the standard 50watt(?) jobbies, so no dazzle should happen...

Admiral Nelson was blinded in one eye during some battle or other, and always had a cap over one eye like a pirate, so turning a "Nelson Eye" is like turning a "blind eye"

Doesn't it come from the Battle of Copenhagen? When Nelson was given an order to surrender from his commander-in-chief, but famously put his telescope to his blind eye and proclaimed he saw no surrender signal...

And yes Ant, I know you're talking about main beams, but it doesn't fit in with my argument so I'm ignoring you... :p

Rob.

Never mind the wiring , what about the alternator ? My Fabia suffers from light flicker when the power steering chips in , with standard bulbs, shudder to think what would happen with 100w ! Really winds up the blue headlighters though....

Fuses are there to protect the wiring - not to be uprated so that you can push the wiring looms beyond what they were designed to handle.

No!No! Guys!!! The "wire" protects the "fuse." Its Murphy's Law. The most expensive and hardest to replace component "protects" the least expensive and easiest to replace part. It true, its true, I say! :shocked:

• 4 weeks later...