new wipers likely to help windscreen smearing?

hebdenwill

quick question - 

when my wipers wipe they leave a patch of not properly cleared glass which can be quite distracting (see photo)

is a new set of decent wipers likely to make this better, or is it due to damage on the windscreen? There are a few very small pits in it and some very fine scratches going the same direction that the wipers go.

thanks if you can help

PXL_20210927_084354449.jpg

2 hours ago, hebdenwill said:

is a new set of decent wipers likely to make this better, or is it due to damage on the windscreen

Likely new wiper blades, and at worst they'll do no harm and be way cheaper than a new windscreen.

Check that the rubber part of the wiper blades are clean.

You could use a 1" paintbrush with plain water or even an old toothbrush and some fairy liquid to get rid of any dirt build up on the rubber part of each wiper blade.

Check that the rubber hasn't split as that could also cause smearing as you can see in the photo.

Edited by Carlston

My reckoning is yes, you could clean the wipers and see a better result but if they are on their last legs, they will need replacing soon. As they are a service/consumable item and can be had quite cheaply, cleaning is usually normal maintenance but  getting new, quality wipers, will improve the visibility massively. If changing OR giving them the once over, make sure to do a good job on the screen as well as a filthy screen will not help in the least.

As well as new wiper blades, a given imho, I would give the screen a good clean.  I have used Barkeepers Friend powder - cheap from many hardware shops - followed by a coat of RainX.

Edited by Baxlin

thanks for the tip seriesdriver, I did use some vinegar on them when I got the car which helped a lot! but it's time for them to go I think

and yeah cheers baxlin, I gave it a really good clean then clay-barred it then cleaned again, then applied two coats of rain-x, which also helped a lot 

I do wonder if there's any worth to trying that expensive AutoGlym glass polish...

Looks like you've got some greasy patches on your screen too. Give that a wipe with the afore mentioned cleaning methods or dedicated glass cleaner or near screen wash if you have. If you have a clean screen and wipers and you still get smearing, new blades is the way to go.

Autoglym glass polish does give good results too.

Edited by HeavyMetalRich
Added info.