Opinions on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5's on VRS

Hi all, as above - I need to change my tyres and these have come up at a good price on a 235/35 R19 fitment (OEM is 225/35). Car is a family car, which I abuse occasionally but not that often. I'm after opinions on overall wet & dry grip, noise and longevity. I've obviously checked the usual review sites but wondering what you folks have to say.

Any feedback appreciated

I asked this question on social media not long ago, Asymmertric 5' and Piliot Sport 4s seem to be the most popular.

I need to change mine soon as it was supplied with ditch finders and i have no confidence in the car! Be good to see what people recommend.

Edited by MATT0693

1 hour ago, weyland said:

I've got MP4s on my other car and they are fantastic but are a bit overkill for MY needs on this. 

I have Asy 5s on mine in 235 35 R19. They give excellent feedback and grip in all weathers, well apart from the obvious snow where no summer tyre really works. Most reviews put the Asy 5 and the Michelin counterpart side by side in terms of grip and wear. But they do say the Asy 5 give better feedback and sportier feel due to the stiffer sidewall. I have been over some bumps in the road and the sidewalls are holding up with no bulges or damage. Plus the tyre wears well and appears to be lasting.

1 hour ago, MATT0693 said:

I asked this question on social media not long ago, Asymmetric 5' and Pilot Sport 4s seem to be the most popular.

I need to change mine soon as it was supplied with ditch finders and i have no confidence in the car! Be good to see what people recommend.

Much below 10 degrees Centigrade, UHP tyres are ditch finders as the performance drops off a cliff.

All-seasons will have a lot more grip in the winter.

Probably best to drop down to 225/45R17 for the winter and keep the 19s for the summer.

Thanks all, I'm inpatient so have ordered them now 😆

For anyone interested that is a Costco member, they have these for a fantastic price - 4 fitted for £397.56 & I didn't want to miss out 😲

Worth a gamble as I have 2 original Pirellis on the rear which are now showing signs of cracks and 2 mid-range tyres on the front

image.thumb.png.2a013c1d57420ce743ad4719f4046914.png

You've done it now, but I can only add that I changed from PS4 to ASY5 recently. 

Both are brilliant tyres and I don't regret the change. It was all down to price (£70 for set of 4) and for me I would not be able to find/exploit any minute difference official testers find during the group tyre tests you find.

The ASY5 are a perfect all rounder. I've ran ASY2 & 3 before, were excellent all year round as the 5's are proving to be.

I’ve always had PS4’s, even on my older car. Great tyres but a little pricey for some. 

Just had them fitted to my VRS last week and ATS Euromaster are doing a set of four and get a free dash cam (I sold mine as I already have one) and if you bank with Lloyds they are on the cashback offer as well. Just a heads up. 🤙🏻

7 minutes ago, Rudden91 said:

I am looking at Costco now and seen that the offer is still on.

Should I be purchasing XL or SL tyres? or does it not make much of a difference?

They are offering four choices:

Goodyear 225/40 R18 (92) Y EAGLE F1 (ASYMMETRIC 5)

Goodyear 225/40 R18 (Y) 92 EAGLE F1 SUPERSPORT XL

Goodyear 225/40 R18 Y (92) EAGLE F1 (ASYMMETRIC 3) XL * BMW

Goodyear 225/40 R18 (88) Y EAGLE F1 (ASYMMETRIC 2)

I have not replaced wheels in a very long time, so feeling like a total noob on this one xD which one should I opt for?

7 hours ago, Rudden91 said:

They are offering four choices:

Goodyear 225/40 R18 (92) Y EAGLE F1 (ASYMMETRIC 5)

Goodyear 225/40 R18 (Y) 92 EAGLE F1 SUPERSPORT XL

Goodyear 225/40 R18 Y (92) EAGLE F1 (ASYMMETRIC 3) XL * BMW

Goodyear 225/40 R18 (88) Y EAGLE F1 (ASYMMETRIC 2)

I have not replaced wheels in a very long time, so feeling like a total noob on this one xD which one should I opt for?

If you want Asy 5 then go with the top one. The Supersports are like the MP4 S are to the MP 4.

I have GF1A5 on my 2015 RS and i really like them, i had crappy random tyres on it when i bought the car and swapped them quickly for these and i think they're great, can't say i do much spirrted driving these days ( month 4 of lockdown now!) but i can happily say for general use they have been great! 

Just to let you know I had these fitted today. Costco tyre service is fantastic & I won't be going anywhere else from now on. 

So far tyres are quiet and grippy, even with release agent on. Look g forward to seeing what they are like with a few miles on. 

Well worth checking out if you ever need to replace yours. Also, went up to 235 from 225

• Like 1