Kamiq 1.5tsi which gearbox

Petzl

I am going to buy 1.5tsi, but there is a question which gearbox to choose - manual or DSG? Driving Experience is better with DSG but there is DQ200 gearbox, which is not know as reliable from the past.. 

Does anyone has experiences (after 100k, 150k km..) 

If buying  new car get an Extended Warranty from the outset be it for a DSG or Manual fitted to a 1.5TSI. 

If a used one then you need to check if any updates have been done on the engine or DSG.

Maybe consider if a 1.0TSI with a DQ200 DSG would suit your needs.   Take the 1.5TSI with ACT out of the equation with a DQ200 DSG.

If Skoda / VW are still turning out ones new now with poor quality components like clutches or MCU's or software then cover yourself with a warranty. 

Skoda have been building millions of DQ200's for VW vehicles in the past years. 

The percentage of the 2,200 or however many DQ200 a day they produce that have issues might be low, but even if that is only 22 of each days production that is an issue.

The past goes back over a decade since VW Group had to recall millions of DQ200 DSG's world wide and just do a service campaign in Europe. '34F7', 

then another recall '34H5', then TPI's on software and clutches and another recall in Australia in 2019 on the DQ200's that had already had Recall / Service Campaign actions.

Surely Vorsprung Durch Technik means finally there is more reliability and longevity with DQ200's.

Many tens of thousands with a Skoda or millions across the VW Group Brands  will have no issues with 1.5 TSI's or with DQ200 DSG's,

sadly when some do the issue that is really the problem is dealership staff that do not take issues seriously.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/484873-dsg-noise

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/474989-terrible-start-to-ownership

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/483020-kamiq-gearbox-problems-at-hendy-skoda-bournemouth

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/486782-15-dsg-issues

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would go for the manual. I have a 1.5 SEL DSG and the wheel spin when picking away is horrendous to the extent that I have to pick away really gently. I don't know if the 18 inch tyres or the DSG box are the problem but it's a pain. 

I have a 1.5 SEL DSG and the wheel spin when picking away is horrendous to the extent that I have to pick away really gently

I have the same model and I completely disagree with this. I would say that it's a lively car though, but getting slowly or quickly away can be easily mastered.

If the OP has any doubts, then a test drive is in order.

11 hours ago, olderman1 said:

I have the same model and I completely disagree with this. I would say that it's a lively car though, but getting slowly or quickly away can be easily mastered.

If the OP has any doubts, then a test drive is in order.

I’ve seen this topic of wheel spin in our model being raised a few months ago and a fair percentage of owners said they had the same problem. It can happen in any weather/road conditions. I’m a fairly gentle driver and was an emergency response driver for 30 years. I’m not saying this makes me a better driver or anything , I’m just mentioning to give a fuller picture. Any way glad you don’t have the same problem.

I’ve seen this topic of wheel spin in our model being raised a few months ago

I saw that too, so I was wary when I took my test drive.

I can understand why someone coming to this car with a DSG might find it lively from a standing start, but unless a driver doesn't have full control over their right foot, then it's easy to learn how to get a smooth getaway.

I’m just mentioning to give a fuller picture

Absolutely, I think the person asking the questions should be given all of the facts and they can then make their own decision about what suits them. In any car, a test drive is essential as even though any given model has the same body, a different drivetrain, gearbox and even seating can alter the driving experience considerably.

I love the 1.5 and DSG, someone called it "waft drive" and this fits its modus operandi. 

I believe the accelerator can be made to react more slowly for those with a nervous

disposition or heavy right foot, personally I love it, I'm not a wheel spinner but love the

way it moves when you need it to and wafts along when you don't.

3 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

I love the 1.5 and DSG, someone called it "waft drive" and this fits its modus operandi. 

I believe the accelerator can be made to react more slowly for those with a nervous

disposition or heavy right foot, personally I love it, I'm not a wheel spinner but love the

way it moves when you need it to and wafts along when you don't.

Excellent description. My last car , a Kodiaq, was my first self owned automatic in over 50 years of car ownership. Any future prospectives purchases would have to be very special for me to even consider reverting to a manual box

I have a question about that DSG 7 Automatic. What type of 7 Speed Automatic DSG use Octavia 2018 1.4 G-Tec? Because I have seen a lot of taxis which have 400k-500k km on the dashboard and still running smoothly and without problems. Is it same DQ200 or it is a different DSG? Because if they can run 500k km with this gear box, it means it is very reliable and maybe the problems is coming from the ECU of the gear box (because of the emission reasons) and one nice tune maybe will fix the problem. 

So anyone knows what DSG use 2018 Octavia 1.4 G-Tec? 

32 minutes ago, Wiegott said:

I have a question about that DSG 7 Automatic. What type of 7 Speed Automatic DSG use Octavia 2018 1.4 G-Tec? Because I have seen a lot of taxis which have 400k-500k km on the dashboard and still running smoothly and without problems. Is it same DQ200 or it is a different DSG? Because if they can run 500k km with this gear box, it means it is very reliable and maybe the problems is coming from the ECU of the gear box (because of the emission reasons) and one nice tune maybe will fix the problem. 

So you own a Scala and you're asking a question about an Octavia on a Kamiq forum. Probably better to ask an Octavia question in the Octavia section of the forum.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

Okey, obviously you missed the main reason why I asked… anyway. I did not know I could’t write on the Kamiq forum after I own a Scala… Scala and Kamiq are absolutely same cars just in different shape. 😉
I will know now, sheriff! 

👍

Edited by Wiegott
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiegott said:

Okey, obviously you missed the main reason why I asked… anyway. I did not know I could’t write on the Kamiq forum after I own a Scala… Scala and Kamiq are absolutely same cars just in different shape. 😉
I will know now, sheriff! 

👍

You can ask what you like where you like, but the actual question you asked was the one above which was about an Octavia.

Although the cars you mention may or may not have  the same gearbox, they can be configured differently for different models and markets. An Octavia can be up to 300kgs heavier than a Scala, so the same gearbox will have more work to do in the Octavia than it will in the Scala by dint of the extra weight it has to deal with.

It follows that if you want to know about a DSG in an Octavia, you would be better served asking the question of people who own Octavias and they generally reside in the Octavia section of the forum.

And there's no need to be facetious, I was just try to point you to the place where where you're more likely to get an answer.

No idea what a 1.4 G-Tech is and not going to use a search engine to find out.  But if the DSG needs no oil changed then it is a DQ200.   And if a hybrid 1.4 TSI as sold in North America years back it was a e-DQ200.    Lots of DQ200,s do high miles / km.  But then VW have had 12 years to fix the faults they often built in with the millions they and Skoda have built. 

EDIT.

OK so now i know.

Edited by roottoot