E-drive sound generator deletion/silencing?

timster

Soooo. Driving on electric cars. Silent and nice to drive. Octavia IV. Annoying noise from the  noise generator on slow speeds. Is there a way to make it a bit more silent so it would not be audible to cabin? 

Perhaps even completely disable it. Our 2nd car is a 2021 model EV which does not have this noise generator and is much nicer to drive without the annoying synthetic sound.

56 minutes ago, TheUltraRunner said:

Cant see the UK FB post since not a member. Could you paste the important parts?

Also i'm aware of it being mandatory, Just not a fan of how they did it in Octavia. Other brands seems to have more sophisticated frequency which does not annoy inside the cabing. I really dont like the sound which i hear inside when driving on EV mode.

I think that if I had an EV or PHEV I wouldn't want to silence it.
However it would perhaps be fun to be able to reprogram with sounds from something else... I'm thinking something like the sound of KITT from the old Knight Rider TV show. ;)

• Like 1

Pedestrians often rely on hearing a car driving up behind them (we don't wear mirrors after all) and it can be extremely annoying to all concerned to find a silent electric car about to run you down! So if you drive a silent electric car you'll have to get used to using your horn a lot more to make sure people know you are there. Otherwise you are just as bad as cyclists who expect you to know they are there without calling out to you or using a bell :)

Chris  

You can disable it by unplugging it (drivers side wheel arch) but it generates an error.

2 x 15 ohm, 10w resistors will remove the error.

it’s heaven to drive without it…..

you just have to take a few torx bits out, reach up and unplug it.

took me around 15 minutes

741DEC48-DC27-4476-851E-82A5D1F4FC7B.jpeg

C4384BCC-FF87-49CC-A17F-F294BC5E3501.jpeg

CF558D3E-3ED0-40F8-95E0-1E4C13CB7C04.jpeg

Edited by xpower

Hmm

On 16/10/2021 at 00:33, xpower said:

You can disable it by unplugging it (drivers side wheel arch) but it generates an error.

2 x 15 ohm, 10w resistors will remove the error.

it’s heaven to drive without it…..

you just have to take a few torx bits out, reach up and unplug it.

took me around 15 minutes

741DEC48-DC27-4476-851E-82A5D1F4FC7B.jpeg

Thanks. Good to know. Even if i'm  not comfortable perhaps totally disabling it. Indeed its good to have to have for pedestrians but i hate the tone.

3 hours ago, MiniNinjaRob said:

How did you wire in the resistors?

I used a male plug so it was plug and play, something link this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08P9J9V1H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ZSD88GD34KFDEKYEASY3

Then just 2 15 ohm resistors in parallel soldered to that connector.

quite easy in the end.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, OZ-racing said:

Hi, please can you show me, where this sound box exactly is? Under what? I can not find it 😞

It’s in the drivers side wheel arch if I remember correctly 👍🏻

19092071-169A-4CAF-816C-40DF01BE090A.jpeg

Edited by xpower

10 hours ago, OZ-racing said:

OK, and the last question, why are necessary two rezistors? Isn't one enough?

You need to mimic the resistance of the speaker.

for this you need a 7.5 ohm resistance.

7.5 ohm at 12v in theory would produce 19.2w of heat.

if you can find a 7.5ohm resistor capable of dissipating 20w of heat that would be fine, but lower heat ones are available cheaper.

I chose to split the heat dissipation in half, with each 15 ohm resistor carrying 10w of the heat.

total resistance in parallel is then 7.5ohm.

For me it would be much more reliable long term.

Edited by xpower

If you do have an incident where a pedestrian,  cyclist, horse rider, mobility scooter rider etc. is injured or heven forbid killed and you have removed the sound generator or silenced it a side from possible criminal liability your 3rd party insurance may be invalid leaving you personally liable for damages or costs. I'm no legal expert but I'd consider carefully before disabling a specific safety device designed to protect 3rd parties. I woukld say it is reasonably forseable that an accident could occur due to a totally silent car in motion and therefore not taking reasonable precautions to limit the risk would mean your risk is not ALARP. Where bereaved families do not get what they consider justice through the criminal courts they are increasingly seeking redress through the criminal courts. If they can't see you in prision they will take your, house business or other assests to punish you. Caution is advised. 

Edited by BRSEngineer
  • Like 1

If you know your car / vehicle is 'Silent Running'  then you know that people and animals might not hear you and you need to be just as careful as if your vehicle makes a noise and there are deaf people or animals or stupid ones, or ones with headphones / plugs in ears, or headgear / muffs on. 

Total pillocks around on phones, in conversations are common walking out without looking.

In Forfar there are Guide Dogs out under training constantly and i am aware that they seem to not know there is an EV coming to a halt at the lights / crossing and i see that the Guide Dog Trainer / Walker is not apparently aware the car is silent.  That is even when they are not walking blind folder or without a blind fold.