Anyone got a woodburner stove?

slicendice

Getting a woodburner (well...multifuel) installed in Dec and just going through the process of trying to nail down exactly which one to get. 

Aware that it needs to be EcoDesign ready and Defra approved - but still loads of options!

Anyone got one? Any advice on which brands/models are any good?

I bought mine 5 years ago to replace my open fire 200 quid from ebay 5 kw only got a small living room ,folk talk lots of bumf about they should be this and that,mines never missed a beat and its red hot ,truth is its a fire in a metal box

• Like 1

once its installed properly and the size suits the room, then it should be fine. 

we got an 8kw installed Feb last yr, and its brilliant. even without being lit, it just closes a massive heat loss source in the middle of the house.

weve only lit it maybe a dozen times, as we havnt had time to sit in front of it really since it was put in the same week spud jr made his debut...

its a multi fuel, i use kiln dried canadian maple* as kindling, then a couple of 4inch diameter logs and a shovel of coal to start it. then just well dried blocks of timber.

need to get a fan still

*not as exotic as it sounds, its the  left over unreusable timber floor from the sitting room. the good bits are in the attic to be refinished and laid in the hall ;)

42 minutes ago, slicendice said:

Thanks for the info 🙂

Did you go for cast iron? Or steel? Or a combo? 

black gloss finished cast iron.

was advised against the matt finish i wanted as they are near impossible to clean them properly. the gloss just wipes off. 

the multifuel option is just a liner that goes inside the firebox to better contain the increase in heat output. 

7 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

black gloss finished cast iron.

was advised against the matt finish i wanted as they are near impossible to clean them properly. the gloss just wipes off. 

the multifuel option is just a liner that goes inside the firebox to better contain the increase in heat output. 

Not heard that about cleaning - interesting, thanks

There seems to be differing views (as always!) re steel or cast iron - cast iron holds the heat better, steel heats up quicker. Then some say cast iron can end up cracking, whereas others say steel warps or the welds fail. Guess it's down to personal preference - although from what I can tell, the longer warranties (10 years or lifetime) tend to be with steel.

We had a Rayburn but mum sold it to Lady Fiennes, the wife of Sir Ranulph Twiselton-Wykeham-Fiennes. I only mention this as it's not every day you get such a pretntiously named person buying your old Rayburn.

He did slice half his own hand off due to frostbite off so fair play.

Lady Fiennes turned up in an old Subaru IIRC

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, @Lee said:

We had a Rayburn but mum sold it to Lady Fiennes, the wife of Sir Ranulph Twiselton-Wykeham-Fiennes. I only mention this as it's not every day you get such a pretntiously named person buying your old Rayburn.

He did slice half his own hand off due to frostbite off so fair play.

Lady Fiennes turned up in an old Subaru IIRC

I'm not going to lie....that was not a direction I saw this thread heading! 🤣

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

My Clearview "Vision 500" is now 27yrs old ...on its second set of internal bricks, numerous door gaskets, new blanking plate on top..& two resprays....

Still looks like new & burns cleanly & efficiently..😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fabdavrav said:

My Clearview "Vision 500" is now 27yrs old ...on its second set of internal bricks, numerous door gaskets, new blanking plate on top..& two resprays....

Still looks like new & burns cleanly & efficiently..😎

...Trigger's Broom? :D

On 03/11/2021 at 22:07, AnnoyingPentium said:

...Trigger's Broom? :D

Nope...... not when all the metal (except the top outlet blanking plate), & the glass, is original & 27yrs old.....

Edited by fabdavrav
spelling
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

That's very good going! :)

Its very well designed & quality metal & glass....the bricks inside & the rope gaskets for the doors are always known as consumables in stoves regardless of the brand/make...

• Like 1

We had an old Moreso Squirrel that came with the house. It was okay, but previous owners had abused it and it didn't really work well, even for the small room it was in.

We ended up ripping it out and now just use an open fireplace. It's notably better, but not ideal and still only heats that one room rather than the whole house.

We have a Stratford boiler stove (Arada stoves) in the house. Think it’s about 21Kw in total or thereabouts. Has been keeping me toasty warm for the last 13yrs or so. I’ve replaced a few grate pieces and some rope in that time, but otherwise it’s been serving us very well each winter without hassle. 

• 1 year later...

Maintenance time on ours in France....vertical joints need attention,scorching hot fire = being able to see inside.

Whole thing is slotted together and tied with 4 vertical rods in the corners so steel is warping enough to open up and not be able to control airflow.

Fire cement, new rope for door and painted Matt Grey or Black and x fingers it lasts a few more years.

20230603-115359.jpg

• Love it! 1