Personalised Plates... Cool, or Sad?

Yogi-Bear

Personalised Plates... Cool, or Sad?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the idea of personalised plates?

• Cool!
    • Cool, but not on a Skoda...
    • Depends on the plate and the car
    • Sad!

9 hours ago, DaveMiller said:

I think that was the joke being made …

Spot on.  

Although mine is a ‘personal’ plate as well as it being unique...

Expensive classic plates which are worth several times the value of the car they are on, get the nod of approval from me.  None of this dodgy spaced, naff plates which just try too hard to say or spell something.   Worse when these dodgy plates are on an expensive car.   If you can afford the expensive car, just get a decent plate.

Edited by MASS1

2 minutes ago, MASS1 said:

Expensive classic plates which are worth several times the value of the car they are on, get the nod of approval from me.  None of this dodgy spaced, naff plates which just try too hard to say or spell something.

Where I worked, a senior member of staff, J F K~~~~~~, had several rather beautiful 20s/30s Rolls-Royces.

He also had the registration 1 JFK.   On a bog-standard Metro.   In beige!

• Love it! 1

1 hour ago, MASS1 said:

Expensive classic plates which are worth several times the value of the car they are on, get the nod of approval from me.  None of this dodgy spaced, naff plates which just try too hard to say or spell something.   Worse when these dodgy plates are on an expensive car.   If you can afford the expensive car, just get a decent plate.

I would agree with the exception that some "incorrect" spaced plates, as long as it's not too much, are clever and look great.

L1V FC for a Liverpool fan for example (though obviously would mean limited parking options in Manchester! ) ;)

Edited by xspartx

I don't get the personal number plate thing myself but if it makes the owners happy or gives them that sense of self impotance they obviously crave, then no harm done. It's their money, they can spend it how ever they like.

What annoys me are the ones who believe they're so special they're above the law, in other words, those with illegal plates.  Now I woundn't bother fining them, I'd just send their cars to the crusher. Problem solved.

Sorry Spivo, like DaveMiller I'm wondering what that's all about or if living in Newcastle plays any significance ( I assume the SU isn;t Sunderland then? 😂) but if you were to mount the plate as displayed on the rear of your new car, you'd be looking for a new car under my rule as it's illegal.

12 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

but if you were to mount the plate as displayed on the rear of your new car, you'd be looking for a new car under my rule as it's illegal.

Why is it illegal? XX00 XXX is the proper spacing for current style number plates...

12 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

I don't get the personal number plate thing myself but if it makes the owners happy or gives them that sense of self impotance they obviously crave, then no harm done. It's their money, they can spend it how ever they like.

What annoys me are the ones who believe they're so special they're above the law, in other words, those with illegal plates.  Now I woundn't bother fining them, I'd just send their cars to the crusher. Problem solved.

Sorry Spivo, like DaveMiller I'm wondering what that's all about or if living in Newcastle plays any significance ( I assume the SU isn;t Sunderland then? 😂) but if you were to mount the plate as displayed on the rear of your new car, you'd be looking for a new car under my rule as it's illegal.

Sorry but this is the type of sour faced nonsense that is destroying this country.  Can't cough thesedays without someone taking offence, somewhere.

L1V FC   MUS1C, DAV1D

All "illegal" but fun.   Send to the crusher?   WTF?   

btw I have no idea what that Leeds numberplate is!  :D

6 minutes ago, xspartx said:

All "illegal" but fun.

Without wanting to delve too far into a philosophical discussion that takes us away from the point... where exactly would you draw the line? At what point does illegality stop being fun and start being serious?

For what it's worth, I don't disagree with you (mostly) - spacing on number plates really shouldn't make a difference and it sure as hell won't fool an ANPR camera anyway. But using crappy cursive fonts or making characters look like something else by way of the number plate bolts or other trickery... that's the line for me.

• Love it! 1

1 hour ago, Yogi-Bear said:

Why is it illegal? XX00 XXX is the proper spacing for current style number plates...

Apart from the British Standards code and the supplier of the plate, no other letters or words are legal.  The extra wording on the bottom, about “Marching on Together” is what makes it illegal?

Edited by DaveMiller

7 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

The extra wording on the bottom, about “Marching on Together” is what makes it illegal?

Ah, I'd completely ignored that. Assumed it was just some dodgy mockup of a number plate - didn't realise that actually meant anything 🤦‍♂️.

13 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Now I woundn't bother fining them, I'd just send their cars to the crusher. Problem solved.

1 hour ago, xspartx said:

Sorry but this is the type of sour faced nonsense that is destroying this country.

Nicely matched levels of overkill! :D

• Like 1
  • Love it! 2

1 hour ago, Yogi-Bear said:

Without wanting to delve too far into a philosophical discussion that takes us away from the point... where exactly would you draw the line? At what point does illegality stop being fun and start being serious?

For what it's worth, I don't disagree with you (mostly) - spacing on number plates really shouldn't make a difference and it sure as hell won't fool an ANPR camera anyway. But using crappy cursive fonts or making characters look like something else by way of the number plate bolts or other trickery... that's the line for me.

Exactly my stance.

If a number plates needs any of the following so that it makes any sense at all:

Strange Fonts

Strategically placed bolts

Mis-spacing

Obvious Letter/Number replacement (Show plate purchased and you know it)

Then the number plate is simply not cool, it's extremely sad, go get rid of it now.

Our Ignis came with a private plate on it when we bought it back in 2013.  It has no relevance to either me or the Mrs and has been valued at about half the car's worth!

I worry that people will think we've got ideas of grandeur by driving around town with a private plate on a 16 year old Suzuki.  I'd happily replace it with the original '05 registration but haven't got round to sorting it out plus I never seem to have the spare £80ish pounds to give to the DVLA anyway. 

Edited by skinnyman