Enyaq v Kia EV6 test

domhnall

Another couple of tests between the Enyaq and the Kia EV6 now on line. Not a fair comparison between a 58 kWh Enyaq and a 77 kWh EV6 but the UK doesn't get the 58 kWh EV6 

• 3 weeks later...

the things you've mentioned about the ev6 are only  small niggly  things that dont matter too much, i'm sure the enyaq will have some annoying things too

the ev6 is better looking, , has more power, can cost less to buy and has a 7 year warranty

why would anyone buy the enyaq 

• Like 1

Time will tell how Enyaq owners in the UK get on charging when it is actually cold like maybe some places this morning and near freezing temps and below as in areas in the South of Scotland & not in the balmy teens.

Screenshot 2021-11-22 08.49.51.png

Edited by roottoot

On 21/11/2021 at 10:38, 310golfr said:

why would anyone buy the enyaq 

Because the EV6 is a hatchback, so you can't fit boxy things like dog crates in the boot as easily. Same reason why a lot of us aren't interested in Ionic 5, Model Y etc. 

There may be more reasons for choosing a model of car than you might first think of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 22/11/2021 at 14:15, RichR said:

Because the EV6 is a hatchback, so you can't fit boxy things like dog crates in the boot as easily. Same reason why a lot of us aren't interested in Ionic 5, Model Y etc. 

There may be more reasons for choosing a model of car than you might first think of.

more, because in Enyaq tall adult with feet size 12/46 can sit behind himself and still got some space for feet. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2021 at 00:48, wr0na said:

more, because in Enyaq tall adult with feet size 12/46 can sit behind himself and still got some space for feet. 

+1. I´m 202cm tall (that´s 6 foot, some inches and a cup of tea in the UK) and uses a size 50 (is that 15 in the UK?) - and I don´t fit in an EV6. The seats in the EV6 is mounted so low, that you can´t get your feet under them. The roofline in the back is low and the boot is smaller. The exterior looks great in some colors, but the car is a lot smaller than the Enyaq.

"Why would anybody buy an EV6"?

(It´s a joke; but what a silly comment.)

• Thanks 1

EV6 is nice if you like Piano Black inside - fingerprint city.

My friend has one and it's already back at Kia getting deep diagnotics done, the 12 v battery died leaving him waiting for the RAC to recover him. There's also issues with the heating not working so a lot of EV6 owners are having to plug fan heaters into the 240v socket to heat the car.

as for the charging both the KIa and the Enyaq suffer from the cold because there is no pre condition option.

I did another trip recently starting at minus 5 360 miles. It was a doddle

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2021 at 20:30, domhnall said:

EV6 is nice if you like Piano Black inside - fingerprint city.

My friend has one and it's already back at Kia getting deep diagnotics done, the 12 v battery died leaving him waiting for the RAC to recover him. There's also issues with the heating not working so a lot of EV6 owners are having to plug fan heaters into the 240v socket to heat the car.

as for the charging both the KIa and the Enyaq suffer from the cold because there is no pre condition option.

I did another trip recently starting at minus 5 360 miles. It was a doddle

I'm told the EV6 has pre-conditioning (by two dealers), so can you give me a heads up as to if it's not there or there but not working?

Certainly the car has heaters in the battery pack and so everything is there for it.

Admittedly I'm looking at heat pump equipped cars, but it would be good to know.

I was ready to go on an EV6 but decided to wait 3 months as everyone is releasing new EV/refreshes.

Most EV at the moment have a compromise on handling/ride, range, charging speed or just how it feels when you’re sat it it.

The EV6 was far ahead, but this is another “it’s there but doesn’t work yet” feature. Glad I’m waiting until 2022 now. 👍

Edited by cheezemonkhai

I remember back in the 1960s you could buy a small paraffin heater that you put under the car's sump overnight in order to stop the car freezing and make for easier starting in the morning.  People bought these even though the car had antifreeze in the cooling system. 

tom

Edited by Sanqhar

On 06/12/2021 at 10:42, roottoot said:

They are quite a length of a car.

DSCN0154.JPG

DSCN0155.JPG

DSCN0509.JPG

DSCN0156.JPG

DSCN0157.JPG

They're really wide too. My friend with one can only get his in and out of the garage using the remote control as it's too wide to open the doors once it's in. 

• Like 1

@domhnallCould anyone just plug into the 3 pin and charge their phone, e-bike etc while the car is sitting charging?

Or is it inhibited in some way?

From my poor picture it looks lie the 3 pin should have some 'Little finger house socket protector' stuck in it to keep the weather out if charging in torrential rain, blizzards sandstorms etc.

Screenshot 2021-12-29 08.43.57.jpg

DSCN0156.JPG.17278e52a7d366d7862e9a566bf466d2.jpeg

Edited by roottoot

Those 

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

'Little finger house socket protector'

things are not necessary with standard UK plugs as the live and neutral holes are closed until the earth pin is firmly inserted. In fact, by snapping the lower two pins off the plastic protector, you can insert it upside down into the earth hole and open the other two holes to stick your little fingers into...

With regards to the EV6, if it is the same as the Ioniq 5, the three pin socket inside the car is also covered by a lockable sliding cover.

Whether you can charge from it whilst the car is being charged externally, I don't know. But it would be strange if you couldn't!

• Like 1

I've just noticed what looks like a socket in the charging bay in the photo, so I've checked what the situation is! I guess this is what you were referring to?

The EV6 does have a socket inside, under the back seats where your legs dangle.

From outside, you use the adaptor in the main port.

From the short video I watched: "however for safety reasons, it cannot be used while charging".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@snalbansed  the comment on the 3 pin plug was about keeping the environment out of the socket, not really toddlers little fingers or such.  Open charge ports in climatic conditions.   As to UK sockets,  They were necessary at the hotel the other week.  They stopped my Granddaughter plugging in her phone charger, the waiter said they needed passed and were sick of guests having wires trailing.      If I turned up at a Charge Place Scotland free charger that was blocked by a fully charged EV with a 3 pin socket I might have tried plugging my 3 pin charger into that car.  Pity the Merc that was blocking a charger last night had not one.  It had been on the charger 4 hours. I did get on a 7kW charger luckily to get enough charge to get me home 

Edited by roottoot

On 25/12/2021 at 09:17, Phil245 said:

Clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the EV6 looks don't appeal to me,  but very happy for those that like it......!

Indeed...   Personally I think it's a much better looker than then Enyaq

Edited by skomaz

I worked out that that was what you were referring to (the apparent external three pin socket) after I'd posted my first comment.

I'm sure that what we can see in the photo isn't actually a three pin socket. It seems to be a picture of something. See the attached, taken from https://www.eurekar.co.uk/articles/2021-10-25/kia-on-charge-with-ev6

IMG_20211229_121048.jpg

• Thanks 1