HELP! Superb 3.6 steam from exhaust pipe

The car releases steam with light gas smell stationary in the 30 min drive tonight. There's No smoke when driving. Car serviced and mot in Sep. everything normal on dashboard. Does anyone know what could be happening?

9C76542B-0E07-49C2-BF31-AE8A59D1485A.png

Check for loss of engine coolant from the expansion tank, but otherwise nothing to worry about.

Steam and carbon dioxide are the two main reaction products from burning hydrocarbon fuels. Neither are visible in warm weather; but in cold weather the steam can become visible as it condenses.

Is this your first winter with this car?

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

How long have you had the car and is the first time you have had condensation from the exhaust and it maybe running a little rich?

Sounds like the car is running as might be expected on a November evening. 

What was done at the servicing, has it had new spark plugs, air filter and not just the Oil & Filter changed.

• Like 1

The ari filter, oil and oil filter were changed at the servicing, I've been having it since Jan this year, it do has the type of steam last winter and it passed the most. Maybe I was overreacting about it but it steamed quite a lot today

13 minutes ago, Wino said:

Check for loss of engine coolant from the expansion tank, but otherwise nothing to worry about.

Steam and carbon dioxide are the two main reaction products from burning hydrocarbon fuels. Neither are visible in warm weather; but in cold weather the steam can become visible as it condenses.

It is my second winter with it. And this do happen in previous cold weather. I would try to check the coolant level when it cools down. The steam doesn't come when the engine starts but after one minute or two.

22 minutes ago, Wino said:

The coolant level is normal. I've been driving the car almost everyday but only around 5-10 miles daily. It's been pretty wet during the week so it might be the problem?

Condensation in the silencer box, completely normal.

Am I correct in saying that when the engine is up to operating temperature there is no steam?

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Condensation in the silencer box, completely normal.

Am I correct in saying that when the engine is up to operating temperature there is no steam?

Hope it would be fine. The picture was taken after around 30mins of drive and arrived at home. Could be too much water left in the exhaust 

One difference between last year and this which might make no difference is that you are using E10 Unleaded 95 ron rather than E5 95 ron unless you buy Super Unleaded.

Probably no difference smell wise from the exhaust but then we will learn as the winter does on if anyone does report any differences.

More Bio being used and now & it should be Winter Formula petrol being sold from filling stations.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, roottoot said:

One difference between last year and this which might make no difference is that you are using E10 Unleaded 95 ron rather than E5 95 ron unless you buy Super Unleaded.

Probably no difference smell wise from the exhaust but then we will learn as the winter does on if anyone does report any differences.

More Bio being used and now & it should be Winter Formula petrol being sold from filling stations.

Been using the same gas station all the time. Would be on a journey later this week. Car runs like the day 1 I got it. It might be me worried too much about it😂 Thank you!

That filling stations unleaded pumps now put E10 into your tank and not E5.

It will very very unlikely make any difference biu when anyone is considering a car doing anything they think is different then it is simple to consider what is different other than the car being a year older.

Edited by roottoot
  • Love it! 1

Mine has done this for the last 3 years I've owned it. - it's very common at this time of year and is almost certainly just condensation forming in the cold air.

Hope that helps.

D

• Love it! 1

Mine does this and I can condensation blowing out when I give it full beans and red line it.  All fluid levels spot on, doesn't use anything, I just think the exhaust hold moisture from lots of short journeys.

• Like 3

Don’t worry. On very cold weather mine does the same…seven years in. Just check nothing is leaking from gearbox or somewhere else as fluids tramline along wires and channels to peculiar places and can drip on a hot exhaust…I’m thinking the smell, that’s all. Otherwise, normal fare sir 👍🏻