MIB3 Map Updates - again!

stewartv

Hi,

There have been several historic threads on this topic and the last info earlier this year was that Skoda would publish a method using the usb C socket to update locally from a downloaded file. I zse that the portal for my VIN has a 25gb file (ECE2022 week 45 2021) but the 25GB ZIP file does not seem to exist!

Anyone else has any success?

Yes, I know that there are auto downloads when entering a new area but that is not much use if planning a longer trip before departing!

I've accessed the Skoda Update portal with my VIN after reading your post, and can confirm that there is now a manual detailing how to update the maps on MIB3 systems. This states that you have to download the 25GB file to a USB memory stick, and then leave the updated map file plugged into the USB-C port while you're driving. So this suggests that it will still only update the maps you need when you actually drive into a new area, rather than update the whole database, and so works in the same way as updating the maps online as far as I can see. 

There is a 25GB update file that you can download, but when I tried this using MS Edge it reported that it was an unsafe file, and I had to bypass the security check to start it downloading. However I am away from home at present and it was taking far too long to download the whole file so I'll have to abandon that attempt until Monday. 

Chris

Hi Stewartv,

I've seen some suggestions that you need the 0276 software to update files from a USB stick rather than the 0270 software I have in my car. You can check which you have by pressing Menu / System Settings / System Information. Again I've seen suggestions that this software update can only be installed by the factory or a dealer, and won't arrive via the online updates. 

Can you confirm which software you have in your car(s)?

Chris

OK, so trying to download the zipped file with MS Edge brought up a security check saying the file was unsafe! Was this the empty file you found? Bypassing the security warning by telling it to 'keep' the file downloaded the zipped file OK (In about 20 minutes for my home broadband connection). 

It then extracted to a myriad of folders (in about 40 minutes on my PC).

The manual then says to copy the contents of the already unpacked file (not the entire folder) to a USB Memory stick which has been formatted as Ex-FAT and is at least 64GB in size. (I used one with USB and USB-C connectors at each end to avoid needing a USB-C adaptor.) Now the illustration shows just one sub-folder selected, but I'm sure you need more than just the one sub-folder! So I'm assuming that what they meant to say was to copy the unpacked contents excluding the PACKAGE.SLIST file. So this is what I copied.

Now I'll plug it into the car for a while and see if my map version number changes!

Chris

Edited by CJJE

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

OK, so trying to download the zipped file with MS Edge brought up a security check saying the file was unsafe! Was this the empty file you found? Bypassing the security warning by telling it to 'keep' the file downloaded the zipped file OK (In about 20 minutes for my home broadband connection). 

The manual then says to copy the contents of the already unpacked file (not the entire folder) to a USB Memory stick which has been formatted as Ex-FAT and is at least 64GB in size. (I used one with USB and USB-C connectors at each end to avoid needing a USB-C adaptor.) Now the illustration shows just one sub-folder selected, but I'm sure you need more than just the one sub-folder! So I'm assuming that what they meant to say was to copy the unpacked contents excluding the PACKAGE.SLIST file. So this is what I copied.

Now I'll plug it into the car for a while and see if my map version number changes!

Chris

Hi .. Can confirm I did the procedure above and drove for around 45 mins and my maps updated, even though there was nothing in the display to say anything was going on, I have software version 0270 in my car..

1 hour ago, Bryfly said:

Hi .. Can confirm I did the procedure above and drove for around 45 mins and my maps updated, even though there was nothing in the display to say anything was going on, I have software version 0270 in my car..

Thanks Bryfly,

Did you copy the PACKAGE.SLIST file onto the USB stick as well? My maps are still back at 21.2 at the moment, so it'll be good if this will update them. And even better if software version 0270 will accept the updates :) 

Chris

Hi Chris , I copied everything that was there after I unzipped it, using "7 Zip", just checked and yes "Package.SList" is there..

I went from 19.11 to 21.7 on mapping

Edited by Bryfly
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CJJE said:

Chris

Thanks for the tip on Edge. Google Chrome just does nothing at all and does not even report the file as unsafe. I will download and try the suggestions offered here.

Thanks for the detail!

BTW - I have heard that my VIN has a notification about an upcoming update which I hope will fix the contacts as a destination from the phonebook. Skoda Exec are fully aware of the UK postcode issues translating to Off Road and a set of coordinates and there 'may' be an update at some point.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/11/2021 at 11:38, Bryfly said:

Hi,

Thanks for your help in advance, I am just going through the process of a map update on my MIB3 Amundsen sat nav. and I have extracted the files to my 64gb stick. The next step is to plug it into the USB C port by the Auto gearstick. You say that when it is updating there is no indication of anything happening??? i find that really poor, can you confirm i have read that right!!

So when you did all that and drove locally to update, have you any idea how long it took to upload into the sat nav to get your new maps?

And just to be certain, after you unzip the main file and get loads of sub folders, it is the contents of EACH of these sub folders that has to be tranferred to the stick? I would appreciate your confirmation on that too!

Very many thanks for helping with my update

Regards

Eric

The maps generally just update in the background as and when the system finds a relevant update. I'm pretty sure it only updates local maps even from the USB memory stick, and not the entire database. (Yes you need to copy the contents of all the folders and subfolders from the zipped file to the memory stick.)

I left the memory stick for a while without seeing any updates so removed it. But since then the database has been updated to v 21.9. My dealer did update the system software to 0276 recently, so I'm not sure if it was part of his software update or an online update.

Chris

1 hour ago, Jelugs said:

Hi,

Thanks for your help in advance, I am just going through the process of a map update on my MIB3 Amundsen sat nav. and I have extracted the files to my 64gb stick. The next step is to plug it into the USB C port by the Auto gearstick. You say that when it is updating there is no indication of anything happening??? i find that really poor, can you confirm i have read that right!!

Yes you have read it right there was nothing on my screen to say anything was happening, agree that is poor from Skoda

1 hour ago, Jelugs said:

So when you did all that and drove locally to update, have you any idea how long it took to upload into the sat nav to get your new maps?

After driving for 45 minutes I'm not sure how long it took to get onto the sat nav, but it had updated next time I started car, one member here has had no luck updating by the same method though.

1 hour ago, Jelugs said:

And just to be certain, after you unzip the main file and get loads of sub folders, it is the contents of EACH of these sub folders that has to be tranferred to the stick? I would appreciate your confirmation on that too!

Unfortunately I cannot check what was unzipped as I deleted the files after I installed but from memory I just unzipped the download with zip7 and copied all those files to my key....good luck

1 hour ago, Jelugs said:

Very many thanks for helping with my update

Regards

Eric

Just found the key I used for my update, the first file listed is MIB31_EU.ROOT and the last is MIB31_EUWO.UR5001

Edited by Bryfly
More info

On 06/01/2022 at 17:37, Bryfly said:

Yes you have read it right there was nothing on my screen to say anything was happening, agree that is poor from Skoda

After driving for 45 minutes I'm not sure how long it took to get onto the sat nav, but it had updated next time I started car, one member here has had no luck updating by the same method though.

Unfortunately I cannot check what was unzipped as I deleted the files after I installed but from memory I just unzipped the download with zip7 and copied all those files to my key....good luck

Just found the key I used for my update, the first file listed is MIB31_EU.ROOT and the last is MIB31_EUWO.UR5001

Thats great those are the files that I have used, plus the package file.Not sure if the last one is needed but its gone on anyway. I have just to go out soon and have a decent drive to see what happens then. Thanks a lot

Eric

On 09/01/2022 at 09:20, Jelugs said:

Thats great those are the files that I have used, plus the package file.Not sure if the last one is needed but its gone on anyway. I have just to go out soon and have a decent drive to see what happens then. Thanks a lot

Eric

Hiya,

Just to double check I put in my vin number again to get up the zip file on the update portal and downloaded it again. This was extracted to a 64 gb stick and plugged in to the USB C near the gearstick. I have just completed an hours journey and checked the system info after the journey. Yet another complete failure!!! No update carried out, really am fed up with Skodas Sat Nav system! It’s a good job it’s a great car otherwise! Also pleased I kept my Garmin as its use gets closer and closer.

Any further ideas anyone, you can sense the desperation in my text!!

Thanks to all

Eric

stick

Also I could not upgrade my Amundsen system in my Karoq from 05/2021.

I have tried all options since sept/oct. The Skoda dealer does not know how to upgrade and made last week a report to inform Skoda NL.  very currious

Now I am very curious what will happen next!!!

Trust I must have some more patience. ( it is now already 3 months going on)

Regards,

Peter Hamers

4 hours ago, Jelugs said:

... pleased I kept my Garmin as its use gets closer and closer. Any further ideas anyone, you can sense the desperation in my text!!

If you wanted to bypass the Skoda in-built Sat Nav and ditch the Garmin, you could use Android Auto or Apple Carplay, which gives you access to either Google Maps or Waze for navigation.

I've been using Android Auto for the past month and can't see myself going back to the in-built Sat Nav. Waze is very fast at updating navigation en-route, warns me of speed cameras, vehicle breakdowns and other traffic incidents. And it uses hardly any mobile data at all. Waze is owned by Google.
-----

How Much Data Does Android Auto Use?

Android Auto will consume some data because it draws in information from the home screen, such as the current temperature and proposed routing. And by some, we mean 0.01 megabytes. The applications you use for streaming music and navigation are where you’ll find the majority of your cell phone data consumption.

How much data does WAZE use per hour?

Google Maps consumes around 0.6MB of data each hour. On the other hand, Waze consumes just about 0.23MB.

https://w3codemasters.in/how-much-data-does-android-auto-use-benefits-of-android-auto/

-----

Cheers

PJ

1 hour ago, PHamers said:

Also I could not upgrade my Amundsen system in my Karoq from 05/2021.

I have tried all options since sept/oct. The Skoda dealer does not know how to upgrade and made last week a report to inform Skoda NL.  very currious

Now I am very curious what will happen next!!!

Trust I must have some more patience. ( it is now already 3 months going on)

Regards,

Peter Hamers

I have been chasing Skoda uk and CZ Head Office for over a year and so far got nowhere. I find it pathetic that after over 18 months they still haven’t got an upgrade system that consistently works for each model. Not sure where to go now!!
Thanks for your input

Eric

On 07/11/2021 at 23:35, CJJE said:

Hi Stewartv,

I've seen some suggestions that you need the 0276 software to update files from a USB stick rather than the 0270 software I have in my car. You can check which you have by pressing Menu / System Settings / System Information. Again I've seen suggestions that this software update can only be installed by the factory or a dealer, and won't arrive via the online updates. 

Can you confirm which software you have in your car(s)?

Chris

Hi Stewart,

I have gone through what is supposed to be the correct update procedure but like many it has failed. I am on 0270 software so that may be the reason!! ( clutching at straws!!). How do i get 0276 software onto my sat nav to try the update and see if that helps?

Thanks to anyone who contributes

Regards

Eric

24 minutes ago, Jelugs said:

Hi Stewart,

I have gone through what is supposed to be the correct update procedure but like many it has failed. I am on 0270 software so that may be the reason!! ( clutching at straws!!). How do i get 0276 software onto my sat nav to try the update and see if that helps?

Thanks to anyone who contributes

Regards

Eric

Feel everyone's pain who cannot update, I cannot explain why mine updated when others will not, can confirm though that I am on 0270 software before and after update, I guess everybody formatted their key to exFAT as required on update instructions, before loading update to key, could it be that different parts of the country have larger / smaller updates, so therefore takes a different time to complete the update onto the system, who knows, obviously Skoda don't.

Yes I agree, Skoda must surely be aware of all the aggro. that people are having regarding what should be a simple issue...i.e. Updating maps!! they seem to have a very couldnt care less attitude over the issue. Since i got the car Sept20, I have been in touch with UK Head of Customer Services, CZ Head office customer services, and currently again with UK Customer Services but NONE of them have come up with a definitive consistent working procedure or explanation about the update inconsistency. I find this totally unacceptable but cant seem to find a way to get any sense out of them. To my mind its like buying a washing machine but one of the programmes doesnt work...except its quite a bit dearer!!!!!

Pity we cant get their customer services to spend a day reading the Briskoda forum!!

Regards to all.

Eric

I've read that VW will be making major changes to the MIB3 systems in their cars this spring, with new processing hardware for new cars. The software updates will be reportedly be offered to existing VWs, Skodas, and SEATs later in the year. 

As the system is designed by VAG, Skoda can only fit what they are given - although this doesn't excuse their refusal to accept and handle customer complaints better! 

See 2022 VW Golf gets major infotainment upgrade to fix speed issues (motor1.com) for more details.

Chris

Last Sunday and today I have driven some hours with the USB-C stick in the port and just now I have checked the software.
I do not know what happened but the software 9/21 has changed into 11/21 and software version is now 0276, so it seems to be upgraded.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PHamers said:

Last Sunday and today I have driven some hours with the USB-C stick in the port and just now I have checked the software.
I do not know what happened but the software 9/21 has changed into 11/21 and software version is now 0276, so it seems to be upgraded.

Makes me wonder if I had left my key in longer would I have updated to 0276 as well as my maps updating, instead of staying on 0270..maybe I should put the key back in for a couple of days?

Edited by Bryfly

Hi,

Thanks for that info.Potentially it’s good news but if they don’t handle it better than the simple map updates we may not move forward.

We will have to wait( again) and see!

Regards

I will try that as well leaving it in for longer than my one hour journey!

But when you reflect on it, if it did work what an absolute dogs dinner of a system having to leave it plugged in all that time. 
Let’s see what happens, if you could report what happens to yours?

Regards

Eric

21 minutes ago, Bryfly said:

Makes me wonder if I had left my key in longer would I have updated to 0276 as well as my maps updating, instead of staying on 0270..maybe I should put the key back in for a couple of days?

I will try that as well leaving it in for longer than my one hour journey!

But when you reflect on it, if it did work what an absolute dogs dinner of a system having to leave it plugged in all that time. 
Let’s see what happens, if you could report what happens to yours?

Regards

• Like 1