fault code p0130

Stewartasb

1 minute ago, Stewartasb said:

Lol this car is stone cold sober compared to my other car which is why I'm starting to use this more with these fuel prices atm.

Jesus, got a hole in the tank of the other one? :D

I think I paid £1.629(?) a litre tonight, I don't normally notice, for BP Ultimate petrol but I think it's always an expensive petrol station, M&S Shop now too I noticed.  If we come back the same way tomorrow I'll refill there again and take more notice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nta16 said:

I think I paid £1.629(?) a litre tonight, I don't normally notice, for BP Ultimate petrol but I think it's always an expensive petrol station, M&S Shop now too I noticed.  If we come back the same way tomorrow I'll refill there again and take more notice.

Season 4 Pain GIF by The Simpsons

That's me looking at that price! I was paying £1.48 a litre for Morrison's Super Unleaded for my Fabia as a test. I found no benefit from it so I went back to basic petrol from Jet at £1.40 a litre currently and the car feels fine. Ah well, it was nice to try one of the finer things in life... :D

You might want to ask them about memory tests too, just in case.

My wife told me we get an extra 300 points (of what and with who I don't know) if we call in there tomorrow but thinking about it now I don't need to as tomorrow is the last day and I don't need a full tank as my wife will be back in her Fabia.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

It's like a few weeks ago when those of us who work couldn't buy any fuel to get to work because those who no longer work had bought it all and stashed it on their driveways in vehicles they barely use.

Go figure.

We had this issue. My mother works in care and requires her car to get to and from work, but was very close to having no fuel because all the folk with their Range Rovers were sucking the land dry because the Daily Mail told 'em to do it. Anyway, I shall stop being so angry and go back to the hole from whence I came.

This area wasn't so bad as there was fuel around to be had, I'm not saying there wasn't "panic" buying but I never saw it, not that I was about much anyway,  local Tesco was shut one night but other stations were still open and if anything less queues than usual.  By coincidence my wife didn't have her Fabia for a couple of days and mine was away for a week having rectification work "fitted in with other work".

In there, only a (literally) back street body/spray shop,  I saw an axle for an electric conversion vehicle for the Silverstone lot (forget the name), it was big but I don't think it was for the rumoured £1.5m restoration/conversion vehicle they were talking about.

3 minutes ago, nta16 said:

This area wasn't so bad as there was fuel around to be had, I'm not saying there wasn't "panic" buying but I never saw it, not that I was about much anyway,  local Tesco was shut one night but other stations were still open and if anything less queues than usual.  By coincidence my wife didn't have her Fabia for a couple of days and mine was away for a week having rectification work "fitted in with other work".

In there, only a (literally) back street body/spray shop,  I saw an axle for an electric conversion vehicle for the Silverstone lot (forget the name), it was big but I don't think it was for the rumoured £1.5m restoration/conversion vehicle they were talking about.

We had tons of diesel but no petrol in most places. Which would have been great if I had bought that 1.4 TDI I looked at. Hindsight and all that. :D

Not necessarily, there was going to be a diesel refinery problem at one point, well before this year.

I learnt at an earlier age, my mother must have been a major contributor to the potential sugar "shortage" of the 1970s, she had never less than 6 lbs in the living room sideboard (cupboard) for many years.  There never was a shortage as I remember but rumour of one was enough.

Soon, in not already, it'll be the shouts and screams of "I must have it for Xmas" and this for many things that could have been bought at anytime.

"What will we do if we don't get if by Xmas, so-and-so will be heartbroken / Xmas will be ruined!" - I wonder how many have thought to put petrol on their Xmas list - or sugar!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Not necessarily, there was going to be a diesel refinery problem at one point, well before this year.

I learnt at an earlier age, my mother must have been a major contributor to the potential sugar "shortage" of the 1970s, she had never less than 6 lbs in the living room sideboard (cupboard) for many years.  There never was a shortage as I remember but rumour of one was enough.

Soon, in not already, it'll be the shouts and screams of "I must have it for Xmas" and this for many things that could have been bought at anytime.

"What will we do if we don't get if by Xmas, so-and-so will be heartbroken / Xmas will be ruined!" - I wonder how many have thought to put petrol on their Xmas list - or sugar!

My Grandad is panicking about a shortage of turkey's. Isn't going to buy one though until the last kick once all the morons have bought them all. So instead, I'll phone the chinese :D 

Well the fault code is back and even though it seems to be running okay fuel economy is well down ive done a scan and will now post screen shots see if any of you technical guys can see anything :)

20211115_112100.jpg

20211115_113036.jpg

20211115_113052.jpg

20211115_113140.jpg

20211115_113202.jpg

Its been a couple of years maybe a bit longer now I think of it so will take your advice ans swap it out.

I just did a quick 10 mile run down the motorway and its deffo low on fuel economy usually I get 48 to 50 on motorway it was like 40 tops all the way and only near the end did it start creeping back up.

• Like 1

if you bought poor quality (regardless of price) then not only short life but also very expensive, cheap parts (regardless of their retail price) can work out very expensive as the short term fuel trim figures might suggest.

The two sensors have different figures but I've no idea if that position or range, the deeper scan tools I think give acceptable range figures(?).

I'm not sure if VW use the best sensor or not, if not Japanese products are often better than 'quality German engineering'.

Edited by nta16

Never take a raw code as the solution.

"The O2 sensor produces a voltage based on oxygen content in the exhaust.  The voltage varies between .1 and .9 Volts, .1 indicating lean and .9 indicating rich."

"Usually the cause of P0130 is a bad oxygen sensor, however this isn't always the case.  If your o2 sensors haven't been replaced and they are old, it's a good bet that the sensor is the problem.  But, It could be caused by any of the following:

• Water or corrosion in the connector
  • Loose terminals in the connector
  • Wiring burnt on exhaust components
  • Open or short in the wiring due to rubbing on engine components
  • Holes in exhaust allowing unmetered oxygen into exhaust system
  • Unmetered vacuum leak at the engine Bad o2 sensor Bad PCM."

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0130
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

"Assuming that the engine is in excellent mechanical condition, and that all sensors implicated in metering both intake air and fuel, short-term fuel trim values should generally be between positive 10%, and negative 10% when the engine is running at a steady speed. Note though that since sudden changes in the engine speed can cause short-term fuel trim values to fluctuate wildly, all fuel trim values should be taken at a minimum of at least three steady engine speeds, these being at idle, at about 2500 RPM, and at about 3500 RPM. Note also that fuel trim values should only be taken when the engine had been running at the above speeds for at least 30 seconds." - https://www.mechanic.com.au/news/understanding-short-term-and-long-term-fuel-trims1

Sorry I didn't mean to quote myself in the lost post just copy for speed but I missed deleting it as I typed the same thing anyway (rush for tea/dinner 

47 minutes ago, Stewartasb said:

What sort of figures should I be looking at obtaining on the short term fuel trims ???

The ECU is adding fuel because it thinks the mixture is lean, this means the probe is sooted up, this could be because the heating element is kaput, either way the probe is delicate and difficult to clean.

I generally use NGK or Denso probes because they're better value.

Bit I meant to copy and paste - do check the sensor is fitted fully and correctly, check that it's clean.  Also check you have no air leaks, hoses cracked or not fully fitted off, that other sensors are clean.

What are the other readings for the engine (relating to plugs/injectors/coils/etc..

It could think it's lean for other reasons - but checking and cleaning the sensor and other sensors is a very low cost first step rather than replacing then reset what can be with scan tool and test again, but just taking one reading at one point each time might not give the full picture.

I'd check and clean (as required perhaps) all sensors before and after, cleaner in then better running and cleaner out hence timely servicing and replacement of things like filters.  Much service, maintenance and repairs can often boil down to clean (and lubricate, changing oils helps both).

I will have a good check of both to be on safe side and I'm always on the ball with service parts maybe to much lol based on the miles this car does do im pretty sure service else filters and oil etc its on the ball eill report back tomorrow when I've checked over everything.

20 hours ago, Stewartasb said:

I will have a good check of both to be on safe side and I'm always on the ball with service parts maybe to much lol based on the miles this car does do im pretty sure service else filters and oil etc its on the ball eill report back tomorrow when I've checked over everything.

You want to check and if required clean all sensors you can and the other checks I've mentioned, I'm not dismissing sepulchrave idea just that it might not be that so you don't want to replace it for the sake of it without checks first.

Service parts do need to be of good quality and sometimes the car manufacturer's fitted items can be there for price more than quality but not always, sometimes they are very good and can be replaced with inferior items at servicing.  Sometimes an old part works better than a new made and fitted part if its quality is low., brands and prices don't always relate to high or low quality.

Lot of fantastic-plastic now, weight saving on already over heavy (cough, German) cars.

Edited by nta16
put in the missing words

Yeah I always do my own services and buy good parts tbh but anyway eill really go over it tomorrow as got day off and take out and clean everything and check the pipes etc again and report back eith any findings if nothing then will change out the 02 sensor as sepulchrave suggested 👍

• Like 2