Battery saving message

snowglowjoe

Evening All,

A few minutes ago, I was sat at a tee junction controlled by temporary traffic lights on red - headlamps were on - left hand indicator working - stop/start dectivated and engine running.

A message then flashed up on the dashboard, I cannot remember the exact wording, but to the effect of 'Lights will turn off in thirty seconds to save battery'.

In the 3 years I have been driving my motor, I must have been in similar situtions before and have NEVER seen this message before. Before I could respond in anyway, traffic lights turned green, slipped car into gear and drove off and the message disappeared.

Has anyone else received this message when car is stationary, with headlights on and engine running? It makes me wonder how many other 'hidden messages' may lurk in the depth of the electronics.......

How about " Faulty electronic handbrake" followed by " Hill hold assist unavailable" and the yellow warning light appearing in central display. Engine switched off, restart and fault is cleared. Skoda dealer has checked the car and said it had had a sporadic fault logged in the computer. Been ok now for past two weeks. Let's see if it happens again, still got warranty so not too bothered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowglowjoe said:

Evening All,

A few minutes ago, I was sat at a tee junction controlled by temporary traffic lights on red - headlamps were on - left hand indicator working - stop/start dectivated and engine running.

A message then flashed up on the dashboard, I cannot remember the exact wording, but to the effect of 'Lights will turn off in thirty seconds to save battery'.

In the 3 years I have been driving my motor, I must have been in similar situtions before and have NEVER seen this message before. Before I could respond in anyway, traffic lights turned green, slipped car into gear and drove off and the message disappeared.

Has anyone else received this message when car is stationary, with headlights on and engine running? It makes me wonder how many other 'hidden messages' may lurk in the depth of the electronics.......

I think I've seen this when I returned home at night and was sitting on the drive with my headlights on (Auto setting), the engine still ticking over and the gearbox in Park. In my case the headlights were turned off for me! 

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply Chris. I had my headlights switched to auto. I'm assuming that if I had been stationary for a little more time, headlights would have switched off, but the sidelights would still have been lit? Still baffled that the message has not appeared before though, as I must have been in a similar situation countless times

11 minutes ago, snowglowjoe said:

Thanks for your reply Chris. I had my headlights switched to auto. I'm assuming that if I had been stationary for a little more time, headlights would have switched off, but the sidelights would still have been lit? Still baffled that the message has not appeared before though, as I must have been in a similar situation countless times

I can understand your concern... but as I don't drive that often at night nowadays, I haven't experienced the same situation. 

I know that if the Stop/Start is activated, the engine will restart if the battery voltage drops too much, and will do that in daytime if the aircon is running for instance. So presumably your car was seeing the battery voltage dropping because the alternator at tick over wasn't generating enough power to match the load of the headlights, radio, heater etc. Perhaps you were using more accessories such as heater, heated seats/windscreens etc than you were in the summer? Otherwise I suppose it may be an early warning that your battery is holding a charge as well as it used to??

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

? Otherwise I suppose it may be an early warning that your battery is holding a charge as well as it used to??

Chris

My Karoq is an 18 reg and at the last service last February my battery was changed under warranty! 

I had never noticed a problem with the original but nice to know the dealer was on the ball.

The only times that I have seen that message when the engine has been running has been when I have unfastened my seat belt