Aftermarket Head Units/Radios - Looking for inspiration

P3P5I

AS its an all known fact, the support for our PID's is no longer available from Garmin. So, it is time to look for an alternative. So idealy - I would be searching for an Android Auto Touch Screen Head Unit.

There are fascia adapters available for our Citigos, available in a variety of trims to suit Your existing car decor HERE.

However, with a standard most commonly available single din adapters there is a bit of a problem with as most of the Android Auto Touch Screen Units flip up, which obstructs climate controls - which I will try to avoid. There are available touch screen units with adjustable screen fitting height however sadly their description is not a very comprehensive therefore Im bit reluctant of blindly buyuing one of those eBay bargains.🤔

There is an alternative adapter, however this one for a change requires cutting the original centre console and repositions climate controls to the very bottom of the centre dash HERE.

Of course, as Citigo/Up/Mii appear to be fairly popular in Central Europe, we do have a dedicated ACS-8404SKRL Head Unit, which to my opinion looks absolutely amazing. The only problem with this unit - its the price.

With the current (November 2021) exchange rates 2799PLN = 596EUR = 500GBP 🙄

spacer.png

My plan is, to utilise facelift dash mobile phone holder with built-in USB posrt in conjuction with a TouchScreen Android Auto.

So, after all this, You are asking Your self what is the point of this post?

If You happen to have an Android Auto Touch Screen unit - please share photos - as Im looking for inspiration.

The only minor catch is that the facelift phone holder with built in USB is a different form factor and electrical interface to the original PID bracket.

The shape of the hole in the top of the dash is the same but that's it - the bracket doesn't fit.

If it did, I'd simply look to mount a phone or tablet on the docking station and use that

@GypYou could still replace the base and the whole cradle.

However, by doing so, you would loose Bluetooth functionality on pre-facelift models as this feature is achieved via PID unit 🤔

2 hours ago, P3P5I said:

@GypYou could still replace the base and the whole cradle.

However, by doing so, you would loose Bluetooth functionality on pre-facelift models as this feature is achieved via PID unit 🤔

True, however when I looked at it before, in addition to the cradle at about £40, the bit in the dash came with the attached wiring loom and was about £90. There was a fair amount of cable to be disconnected/removed from the original mounting too.

For me, to make it work nicely it would be good to put the Mk Ii radio in (with DAB), but that would require an antenna change too.  All getting a bit complicated (too much hassle) 

The bit in the dash it is not much of a problem. Always could get it from breakers yard 😆

the best solution here, is replacing the whole head unit with something more up-to-date.

there is plenty of nice Android touch screen head units available on the market.

the challenge is, choosing a right one.

The one from the attached picture, comes at whooping 120GBP and screen has an adjustable fitting height.

Screenshot_20211122-134413_eBay.jpg

2 hours ago, Gyp said:

True, however when I looked at it before, in addition to the cradle at about £40, the bit in the dash came with the attached wiring loom and was about £90. There was a fair amount of cable to be disconnected/removed from the original mounting ....

Right, the original PID's wiring loom it's just one connector which needs to be disconnected from the back of the OEM head unit. If my memory serves me right it would be blue 12-pin plug.

The face-lift wiring has ONLY 6 wires. 4 for USB connectivity plus additional 2 for extra power supply. Attached image.

20211117_144650_edit.jpg

Could somebody please explain what PID is supposed to stand for? I realise it is an acronym for the upended tea tray that bespoils every modern car dashboard and whose purpose is to distract the driver from his number 1 responsability.

I am guessing the D is for Display, the I might be for Information but the P? - Personal? - Sounds BS enough to be plausible

31 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Could somebody please explain what PID is supposed to stand for?

P-ortable,

I-nfotainment,

D-evice.

It is a multimedia/navigation device seen in pre-facelift Citigo/Up!/Mii. It adds to the OEM radio bluetooth connectivity, media player and Navigation.

Sadly, the last one is no longer supported by manufacturer - which in this case would be Garmin/Navigon.

Skoda-Citigo_5-door-2013-800-23.jpg.5c1ecc4303378cf3382b5e430909df59.jpg

Edited by P3P5I
added PID photo

Thanks for that, the further explanation was double dutch I'm afraid as my interest lies with a cars ability to get from A to B reliably and efficiently.

If the device is portable what do you do with it outside of the car?

20 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If the device is portable what do you do with it outside of the car?

Well, it's a very good question as with an outdated maps, and age related battery efficiency - you can't do much 🤫🤪

I suppose, it's just one of those fancy names, that the company came up with to increase the profits.

24 minutes ago, J.R. said:

...a cars ability to get from A to B reliably and efficiently.

That could be a problematic... specially if the maps are slightly obsolete. 🙄

Nothing wrong with outdated maps, roads never get removed, I'm still using a 2009 map of my country.

So the device can be removed from the car and would have had a use when it was up to date and with a healthy battery?

Presumably like me taking my old Tom -Tom with me on a walk if I didn't have a map of a city centre?

If so then it was quite good for its time, I cant take my head unit out to navigate my way by foot.

25 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Nothing wrong with outdated maps, roads never get removed, I'm still using a 2009 map of my country.

Well, they did change the Charing-X part of the M77/M8/A8 area in Glasgow by removing it and diverting you via other routes permanently. But that's a rare example, I presume. My 2006 Garmin Sat-Nav (last updated 2007) is fine for most uses even now, plus it was free. :D

There is another possibility 🤔

To retrofit a face-lift radio. I think it's called Swing? It supports SD cards via card slot in the front panel, up to 2x USB ports and of course Bluetooth capability for hands free phone calls.

So, the plan would be to utilise face-lift mobile phone cradle with built-in USB port. Which would replace Nav device, and maps would be simply runned of the mobile phone.

I'm NOT interested in 'move & fun' app as from what I've read - it doesn't work that well.

And yes, radios can be swapped it may not be plug & play operation- but it's doable HERE. it was mentioned somewhere about hardware locking 🤔

time to visit my not-so-local breakers yard and see what I can find 🤪

Edited by P3P5I
typo

I have the post face-lift Swing with DAB. It's not a bad unit; the DAB is surprisingly effective, which I was not expecting. I have a bunch of music on a 128GB SDcard which plays nicely, and I believe the unit could go to 256GB if I could be bothered. Even 128GB gives me around 12,000 tracks ripped at @320kb/s , and many at 48kHz. I.e even that quality is overkill for a car environment.

I too was fed up with the previous versions of the Maps&More app, and nearly give up on it, but the current version works very well on my old and low spec Moto G4 phone - we have used it to navigate a few times (it works fine, and plays nav voice through the speakers, and does the phone properly, with the steering wheel controls), and lets me check fuel consumption (not quite accurate but good enough) and water temp. The underlying maps are from one of the two big maps suppliers (i.e. as used by almost all SatNavs), and are up-to-date-enough for me. I have another SatNav anyway.

The trick with Maps&More is to completely uninstall older versions of the app, do a power off reset, and then install the latest version and maps using a reliable Wifi link and reliable broadband. At least it worked for me!

I suppose I'm saying that if you can find a recent used, Swing unit at a good price, it may be cheaper/easier than a (probably better) Android head, and not be in the way of all the heater controls! Certainly less likely to get stolen if you go into cities.

Edited by freemansteve

This is why I love going to scrap yards 😃

@freemanstevethere is a lot of contradicting informations in regards of the 'move&fun' app. Specially with the retrofitted units.

As the end result of my retrofit I'm hoping for Bluetooth connectivity with my phone (calls and possibly audio/media playback) via radio and audio playback from SD card and USB port. That's it.

If controlling the above via MFSW would work - brilliant 🤫

Trip computer in my Citigo after adding MFSW is available on the speedometer display .

Navigation wise I got so used to Google Maps that anything other than that and I'm feeling lost 🙄

to non-believers, yes it is doable guys  from Up! forum done so also on the Czech forums it's been mentioned. The only downside is - it may need Component Protection (CP) removal 🤔

20211125_142712~2.jpg

oh cr*p, the radio I've got from the scrap yard its Skoda Blues Radio 😒 it does NOT offer full Bluetooth connectivity - thats accordingly to the Skoda User Manual. It only offers media playback over the Bluetooth NOT calls handling 😳

so, the search continues...

• 6 months later...

My fairly simple solution on upgrading the head unit.  Using an iPad mini 4 cellular.  I've found the iPhone app to be pretty much useless and use only google maps but have grown a bit frustrated with the small size of a phone. 

Firstly and most importantly it doesn't block any of the field of view while driving.  It has the same advantage as using a phone, can run maps with directions through the speakers of the car, the field of view is so much better now - can see miles ahead, it make or receive phone calls through the phone, the reverse assist works like normal etc

IMG_6203.jpg.3d3060cf7c8c2e9dc301d42d9a75a5b5.jpg

IMG_6208.jpg.895abe62307d3fb14e783b0ebbd8649e.jpgIMG_6209.jpg.0c7a05c3d9f1be9c43d007947513bbc0.jpg

@maxychat Your choice was way easier as You already have face lift radio with built-in Bluetooth. That means, that You can use any Bluetooth device over Your in-car radio. Having vehicle pre-face lift vehicle, the easiest solution would be to replace the WHOLE head unit with something modern.

Your setup looks excellent! 👌

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Following topic, also have a pre facelift, and am looking to do the single DIN conversion and then add a CarPlay headhunt for my iPhone.

By the way, single DIN conversion kit from Ebay seems cheapest: same part number as you had LINK

I have found a number of headhunts suitable I think but its just figuring which will not obscure the heater controls as you say.

And then after that I guess the next step will be upgrade the speakers in the front

8 hours ago, matchbookfail said:

single DIN conversion kit from Ebay seems cheapest: same part number as you had LINK

The only problem I have, is finding colour matched adapter 🤔 vast majority is available in piano black or simply black. You could get those adapters even at Halfords. Currently having black with silver edging trims and therefore I would like to find one in a matching decor. I have found one on Aliexpress, have even asked the seller if its definately with the silver edge - guess what - arrived with WHITE edge 🤪

I have found a number of headhunts suitable I think but its just figuring which will not obscure the heater controls as you say.

The best ones, would be with adjustable rear mounting bracket or at least with mounting on top rear of the unit, so once fitted they would drop down below heater controls.

And then after that I guess the next step will be upgrade the speakers in the front

You could aslo consider adding rear speakers. It does imporve sound even with standard radio unit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Various wiring adapters came trough i.e. OEM quadlock to stereo connector with CAN-bus adapter, aerial adapter...

Still waiting for a radio mounting frame.

NOTE: if any of you would decide to use single DIN fascia adapter, you will also have to purchase an aluminium mounting frame, as there is nothing to attach new head unit to the fascia.

It looks promising 😀

20220914_143322~2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Few months later, I have finally managed to have the unit installed in my car. It looks good, sound is decent.

The CONS of this unit are:

- poor in-call quality due to poor quality of the built-in microphone; with an additional external microphone was NOT much better either 😕

- Lack of Android Auto functionality. This can be bypassed by downloading Headunit Reloaded Emulator by B3IT or its counterpart for Apple Phone.

- wiring issue - could NOT work it out - unit would remain ON even with the key pulled out of ignition. Every time had to manualy switch the unit off. Eventually, I found a way around it by disconnecting one of the power wires from the connector at the back.

I was fairly satisfied with this unit until my Steering Wheel Controls became unresponsive. I was worried, that HU somehow managed to damage or interfere with MFSW. But NO. I have checked two different CAN-BUS Adapters and MFSW would simply not work any more with this unit.

so... decided to go OEM way...

20220927_174513.jpg

20220927_174458.jpg

• Like 1

The OEM way.

It is a radio from newer Citigo and... it works!! Surprisingly, no code was required to lunch everything.

Bluetooth is working, music is playing... and it looks ok.

things to look in to more thoroughly:

- in-call microphone - as there is no built-in microphone in the unit;

- USB functionality - currently I have ONLY power in the port in the bottom of the media/phone holder. and for some strange reason, the OEM loom with OEM USB port currently its not working 🤔🙄

20221109_160545.jpg

• Like 1