Engine Stop/Start Behaving Dangerously

eScala

I have a Skoda Scala 1.0 TSI 110 with manual transmission, which is 18 months old and has covered about 5000 miles. I have owned it for about 4 months. On several occasions I have slowly pulled out from a junction onto a main road, changed into second gear, and had the engine completely stop. This has left me in a dangerous situation in the line of approaching traffic. I have noticed that when I slow down gradually, the engine stop/start cuts in when I am still travelling at 4mph. Therefore, I believe that when I am going slowly in first gear and change up the stop/start is actuating. The only way I can re-start is to put the car in neutral and then depress the clutch. My daughter's Vauxhall Astra comes to a complete rest, and only after a couple of seconds does its engine stop, which seems much more sensible. I like the Scala, and usually deactivate the stop/start, but sometimes I forget and get caught out. I find this behaviour dangerous and unacceptable. Can anyone please throw some light on this? Thanks.

I have a 1.5 engined Scala Monte Carlo and have had no problems like this. It did occasionally cut out at low revs when I first owned it, but I think that was because I couldn't hear the engine and let the revs drop too low when pulling away from rest. Not happened for months now.

• Like 1

I have  stop start in the Swift that kicks in at about 9mph and never have this issue - what speed are you changing gear at from 1st to second as that might be the problem

On 20/11/2021 at 16:28, eScala said:

I have a Skoda Scala 1.0 TSI 110 with manual transmission, which is 18 months old and has covered about 5000 miles. I have owned it for about 4 months. On several occasions I have slowly pulled out from a junction onto a main road, changed into second gear, and had the engine completely stop. This has left me in a dangerous situation in the line of approaching traffic. I have noticed that when I slow down gradually, the engine stop/start cuts in when I am still travelling at 4mph. Therefore, I believe that when I am going slowly in first gear and change up the stop/start is actuating. The only way I can re-start is to put the car in neutral and then depress the clutch. My daughter's Vauxhall Astra comes to a complete rest, and only after a couple of seconds does its engine stop, which seems much more sensible. I like the Scala, and usually deactivate the stop/start, but sometimes I forget and get caught out. I find this behaviour dangerous and unacceptable. Can anyone please throw some light on this? Thanks.

Your stalling the engine if you are changing into 2nd doing 4mph. You don't have to go into neutral to start again just press the clutch to the floor 

10 minutes ago, skoda1982 said:

Your stalling the engine if you are changing into 2nd doing 4mph. You don't have to go into neutral to start again just press the clutch to the floor 

I agree with Skoda1982, you must be stalling the engine at that slow speed - it can't be the stop-start shutting down the engine because the operation of this is inhibited when the clutch pedal is down (as you change gear). 

25 minutes ago, skoda1982 said:

For stop start to work you have to have the car in neutral and handbrake on and released clutch peddle 

A correction - you must have sufficient pressure on the brake pedal OR the hand-brake on.

On 22/11/2021 at 09:00, airhaddock said:

Have you tried turning off start stop to see whether the problem is with this function?

Thanks for your suggestion, and yes I have and don't think it happens then. The problem is that when it does happen I tend to forget to check as my mind is so focused on getting the engine started again, then forget about it!

23 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

I agree with Skoda1982, you must be stalling the engine at that slow speed - it can't be the stop-start shutting down the engine because the operation of this is inhibited when the clutch pedal is down (as you change gear). 

I quite understand you thinking that I must be stalling the engine, and it's a good suggestion, but I don't think it is a simple as that. However, I'm going to drive to a large, empty car park near me, and experiment to see if I can replicate the problem. Also, I have booked the car into a Skoda agent to be tested on Thursday, 2nd December. I'll report back my findings. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eScala said:

I quite understand you thinking that I must be stalling the engine

Well, it is a fairly small engine, and IME those need to be spinning a bit faster before a gear change. Even my 1.9D needs babying to take a 1-2 upshift at idle revs.

12 hours ago, eScala said:

I quite understand you thinking that I must be stalling the engine, and it's a good suggestion, but I don't think it is a simple as that. However, I'm going to drive to a large, empty car park near me, and experiment to see if I can replicate the problem. Also, I have booked the car into a Skoda agent to be tested on Thursday, 2nd December. I'll report back my findings. 🙂

As a suggestion, don't let the engine revs fall below approx 1100-1200 RPM when shifting into a higher gear at low speed, which will probably mean shifting up at around 2000 RPM. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @eScala

Have you had any luck with this?  I hope so

I have the same 1.0TSi manual with 115PS (remapped to 150) and on occasion I have stalled by trying to save my fuel and shifting up a little too early.  It's a great little engine and by nursing it you can quite easily upshift very low in the rpms, but it does require more concentration than a regular shift when above 2000rpm.  I can confirm that upon stall of then engine, all one has to do is put foot flat on the clutch and it will start again.  It is not required to be in neutral or at a standstill, just simply foot on clutch and back to life she comes.

For stop/start to take any effect for me in my daily driving I have to be fully stopped, handbrake on and in neutral.  Without all those 3 factors it simply doesn't activate.

On 24/11/2021 at 10:42, Warrior193 said:

A correction - you must have sufficient pressure on the brake pedal OR the hand-brake on.

Wrong using the brake does not activate the stop/start. As in the UK the highway code states if stopped in traffic eg traffic lights if there is a car behind you should put handbrake on neutral and foot off brake as not to dazzle those behind 

23 minutes ago, skoda1982 said:

Wrong using the brake does not activate the stop/start. As in the UK the highway code states if stopped in traffic eg traffic lights if there is a car behind you should put handbrake on neutral and foot off brake as not to dazzle those behind 

Good point @skoda1982, this is also exactly why you aren't allowed to get out and show off your best 'jazz hands' too - far too dazzling 😉

They come from the Skoda production line with wiring / cables / looms that cost much less than that which VW source world wide.

The part linked might well be of a superior quality to anything from VW Group.   It does invalidate the warranty on some of the vehicle.