Tyre cracks

Sanqhar

My 1.5 Tsi had its MoT today (passed) however an issue was raised re the tyres.

The car is 3 years old, under 15,000 miles and is on the original Bridgestones.  I am a gentle driver.  The front tyres were 4mm at the lowest point and were showing cracks between some of the tread blocks. The cracks were sufficient for comment but not a fail. The rear tyres were at 6mm and showing only slight cracking. 

Interestingly the explanation given was that tyres fitted as OEM were built for mpg and mileage and don't respond well to to relative lack of use. 

Anyone come across anything similar.

tom

I've heard of tyres suffering from sunlight (and heat?) if left exposed, but thought that applied to the sidewalls rather than the tread. (I think this was probably in the context of caravan tyres.) I guess the danger is if the treads should start delaminating at speed. 

Chris

2 hours ago, Sanqhar said:

My 1.5 Tsi had its MoT today (passed) however an issue was raised re the tyres.

Anyone come across anything similar.

tom

Yes. My Karoq had its first MOT in September (20k miles) and I received the same report re the tyres i.e. 4mm/6mm and cracking. I believe we go to the same dealer, Tom, and I suspected that the tyre cracking thing was just a standard dealer 'observation' - but your post prompted me to go out and take a closer look. Indeed, there was some cracking between the tread blocks. Dunno about the explanation though, I think it's more likely to be a particular characteristic of a carp tyre.

I'm contemplating buying new tyres at some stage this year. I'm not overly impressed with the Bridgestones. I quite value the presence of a 'rim protection flange', but I've no idea how you find out which tyre models are so equipped.

From Honest John:

If you want summer tyres - we hear the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are very good for alloy protection. For all-season tyres, the Michelin Cross Climate + also offer this protection. If you find tyres you like and want to know if they offer any kind of allow protection, look out for these symbols (which are used across a range of manufacturers):

- RFP (Rim Fringe Protector)
- FP (Fringe Protector)
- MFS (Maximum Flange Shield)
- FR (Felgen Ripen)
- FSL (Felgenschutzleiste)
- ML (Mit Leiste)

Chris

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJJE said:

From Honest John:

If you want summer tyres - we hear the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are very good for alloy protection. For all-season tyres, the Michelin Cross Climate + also offer this protection. ................

Chris

Brilliant - thanks for posting that information.

The Cross Climate+ has of course been replaced by the Cross Climate 2 now (which is reviewed as being much better) but I don't know off-hand if this has rim protection too. If it has, it'd be my preferred replacement on the basis that the Cross Climate SUV has better off-road ability but less road ability. 

Chris

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

I've heard of tyres suffering from sunlight (and heat?) if left exposed, but thought that applied to the sidewalls rather than the tread. (I think this was probably in the context of caravan tyres.) I guess the danger is if the treads should start delaminating at speed. 

Chris

Welcome to the world of modern summer tyre compounds.

The best explanation I have been given, is that when all-season tyres were introduced (and most manufacturers only started making them about 3-6 years ago), the new ranges of summer tyres became more summer like (prefer hotter weather).  Rumour has it they were optimised to give good performance at WLTP test temperature (which I think is around +23c), don’t know if this is true, but seems logical.  This is why many summer tyres are now so poor in wet below +10c

My car (now 3.5 years old) gets its tyres swapped to winter set in Nov-March, so the summer tyres sit in garage through the colder months.  They have no sign of cracking, so it appears to be exposure to the cold (or frost) is a significant part of the cause.   UV light is also generally considered a probable cause.

Our second car (which only does about 4K miles per year) also suffered from cracking tyres.  We changed to all seasons 3 years ago and have not had any cracking since.

So it seems if you want to avoid cracking tyres, avoid summer tyres being on car in winter.

I've recently replaced all four Bridgestones (September) at 32900 miles - all four had cracks showing along the edges near to the blocks. Glad to be rid of them to be honest, worst OEM tyres I've come across. Replaced with Dunlop Sport Max, which have been much quieter, although they themselves have now been put in to hibernation in favour of my Winter tyres (Nokian WR A4)

I put some new Michelin winter tyres on the Karok last year and within a short time small cracks appeared on the outside edge more like rubber perishing. Apparently a common thing with these tyres. No cracking or perishing within the tread though.

The MOT tester drew it to my attention but as said above not a fail. Its called progress!

@Karock What are they Alpin 5 or 6?

I have had Alpin 5 on rims fot 6 years and they have been used a few winters and they are like new and my Alpin 6 have done 18,000 miles in 14 months and are also as new. 

(well maybe a bit of kerbing damage) 

I did a thread on Maxxis AP2 a few years back, they were cracking in a few months and i got a bukge which was my fault,

I was given a credit by the supplier for these.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic382657-maxxis-a02-all-season-tyres

DSCN5775.JPG.a42f26874a0332da0d8418d1603b5538.jpeg.d29f80962dd6f1046e9be8a659768a9a (1).jpeg

DSCN0131.JPG.83ecc9337482cb1aa9733fe6e6255cdc.jpeg

DSCN0129.JPG.939d3605b797459185148fbbfce3a908.jpeg

Screenshot 2021-11-23 07.59.05.jpg

Edited by roottoot