the truth about electric cars

310golfr

@Graham Butcher Really, you do not know Edinburgh or Scotland that well.

They were council houses / flats.  Nothing grand. You bought them as a tenant for about £6,000 in the 1980,s.

All around Edinburgh Intercoms are often outside & also more often Key Safes at the Flat door.  Airbnb,s.  

Posties, Housebound Services etc know how to get in...

Later today i will be very near there.  Entore's of Slateford  for a drink.  99B Slateford road. 

Look at the address, & No. 99 for a company director, and the brother, and the nearby Snooker Club. Shandon Snooker & Pool.

Then the other Ex Directorships. 

PS

Where i live in a 4 in the block 1940,s building with all the ground to the rear backed by the countryside was maybe the residence of the Provost and his staff if he had a Council house / flat.  

Screenshot 2024-04-18 22.51.07.png

Screenshot 2024-04-18 22.59.48.png

Screenshot 2024-04-20 11.23.53.png

Edited by Rooted

@Rooted I was applying the same thought process and logic as that is typically what happens in England, large houses, being brought and converted to flats and let for profit, the same is happening with office blocks. 

Edited by Graham Butcher

Well looking at the condition of housing and the area with the spy cam makes more sense.

Then Edinburgh Councils rules coming on Short Term lets.

Next think, nightly rentals and even rentals by the hour or 2 around much of Edinburgh and you might getting close. 

TESLA and several EV company's EV sales have slowed, much to do with the withdrawl of subsidies in many countries. $2k on model Y.

Not seen them change in the UK but there always seems to be a delay fo RHD cars with LHDs, of course due to market percentage, being priority.

A problem for Tesla is going to be that the designs are now starting to look dated, very minimal changes since 2012?

Edited by Stonekeeper
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stonekeeper said:

A problem for Tesla is going to be that the designs are now starting to look dated, very minimal changes since 2012?

I think the Highland Model 3, released in the last few months, is much better than the Model 3 of 6 or so years ago.

The Model Y will change similarly with the Juniper version due at the end of this year, stat of next year for HD probably.

The design is partly about lowering the aero drag coefficient down another hundredth or two down towards 0.2. 

The very low Cd helps give the TESLAs the best energy efficiency and range.

Model Y is best selling car in the world for these and other reasons, personally I aim to have a Model 3 standard range with the LFP battery, sub £40K, good looking in my opinion.

Headlights look much better than original IMO.

Tesla Model 3 Highland Long Range facelift in Malaysia - 629 km range WLTP,  0-100 4.4s; price from RM218k - paultan.org

• Like 1

Looking dated is the issue that needs to be seriously thought about.

People driving older vehicles surely do not care about there vehicle looking dated.

Audi A2 Owners have cars that look ahead of their time IMO.

What is needed is efficient through the air, efficient use of energy, size of interior for people and things and not just changing 'The look' to suit fashion.

Maybe more sleek BEV estate cars, or Light Goods vehicles, generally practicality and good use of materials, and then recycling.

Like as much being recycled as possible from the vehicles.  

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 2

Screenshot2024-04-20at13-38-51TeslaModel3-Wikipedia.png.1a1609df835729b8bd177bed87e56533.pngScreenshot2024-04-20at13-38-40TeslaModel3-Wikipedia.png.18f39704f81a1b6b7da40f022dc13e1b.png

It's usually New models that attract sales from Brand customers, Customers will hang onto them longer thus reducing the sales.

For Musk to change it too much would involve re-investment into tooling which I think he will avoid as long as he can get away with it.

His "new" customer sales are bound to plateau as more electric vehicles become available as they catch up with his technology.

In this Country the VED introduction ,especially the over £40,000 rate, is going to do a lot of damage to sales also to BEVs.

Those that do buy may be resistant to keep paying it by replacing their car every 3 years. keep it for 7 and you start saving £7.59 a week, that could charge it up (at home) for free every week.

Edited by Stonekeeper
  • Like 1

Private Drivers be them buying or leasing and Companies Buying or Leasing are very different customer markets.  That is NEW cars.

Then there is the Used, nearly new, and the used purchased after a lease ends. Then there is the no 3 Registered keepers / buyers.

23 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Private Drivers be them buying or leasing and Companies Buying or Leasing are very different customer markets.  That is NEW cars.

Then there is the Used, nearly new, and the used purchased after a lease ends. Then there is the no 3 Registered keepers / buyers.

I know only just over a third of new car buyers want to own their car, the rest are happy to pay for someone else's.

But it's mainly those on a full lease deal/ personal contract hire   that don't have to pay the VED from year 2. Those on hp and pcp generally do.

Now that manufacturing is pretty much back up to scale the PCP GFV's are going to be reduced and I can see them becoming less attractive.

Puma,s Mild Hybrids.  Ford First Registering many as usual, as VW Group do.  How they manipulate the UK market & always have done.

Fleet Average Co2 UK important to them.  Because get it wrong and every car sold costs them so much. 

Minis including the Electric that is on Clearance. Vauxhall Mokka BEV,s included.

Video launched an hour ago.

Cybertruk recall because pedal covers might come off a stick to the interior trim.

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

@Stonekeeper Motability have bought a good few thousands of the cars first registered in the UK this year and will through the years and a bit less than 1/3 of those they own will be back into the Motor Trade this year via BCA.   They have a lots of the cars in the top ten sellers, and a growing number of BEV,s in the fleet because the advance payments are so low. Chargers installed etc where those getting an EV can have them. 

Screenshot2024-04-1708_07_25.png.0cdc08eb65947b511b93b27a331a8657.png

Screenshot 2024-04-20 14.41.36.png

Edited by Rooted

I spotted a few of the biggest KIA EV,s  *EV9* in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire yesterday.  Daylight and you can not miss those DRL,s from afar. 

What a monster of a vehicle even among other monsters with one occupant. The driver. 

PS

All around the world are parcels, containers and luggage and passengers moving with the use of Barcodes, biometrics etc, even micro-chips.

People are paying with cards, apps, watches, micro-chips implanted, even cash money sometimes. Where CASH is accepted.

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

I'll just leave this here.

Like he said if you have a Renault Zoe like I have you would not have to stop at all and therefore could have used super cheap home charging and destination charging, and VAT at 5 % unlike diesel, petrol and public charging.

• Like 1

Good information from him.

Rather important is to understand that even the biggest battery BMW i3,s max charge speed is 49kW.  So these Rapid + and Ultra Rapid charger were not important to his journey or any charging,  any 50kW Rapid would do, and some have only a 7 kW AC onboard charger and some a 11 kW. 

The Battery is 42.2 kWh, Useable 37.9 kWh.  Lets say 38 kWh, 

well 3.8 miles a kWh takes you 144.4 miles.

To go 165 miles it would be 4.3 miles a kWh.

180 needs to be 4.7 miles a kWh.           

188 miles even from 40 kWh needs to be getting 4.7 miles a kWh.

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

On 20/04/2024 at 14:20, Rooted said:

Looking dated is the issue that needs to be seriously thought about.

People driving older vehicles surely do not care about there vehicle looking dated.

Audi A2 Owners have cars that look ahead of their time IMO.

What is needed is efficient through the air, efficient use of energy, size of interior for people and things and not just changing 'The look' to suit fashion.

Maybe more sleek BEV estate cars, or Light Goods vehicles, generally practicality and good use of materials, and then recycling.

Like as much being recycled as possible from the vehicles.  

Very interesting, I know its only a concept car but its the first vehicle I have seen in decades that incited my desire, probably the first since the Maclaren F1.

And what a pleasure to finlly find a Youtube presenter that not only is informative, talks sense but is not hugely annoying.

54 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Like he said if you have a Renault Zoe like I have you would not have to stop at all and therefore could have used super cheap home charging and destination charging, and VAT at 5 % unlike diesel, petrol and public charging.

But would you want to be in a Zoe for something 3 to 4 hours, or would you rather be in something a bit bigger and with more comfort?

10 hours ago, Rooted said:

Many a truth is uttered here.

I link this just because since he is on a working holiday the more click on he gets the sooner he might get a Porsche 911.

I agree, it was good in some parts and not so in other parts, but say what you like about him, he does invite you to also put across your points as well.

If i was to be getting another EV in 2 years which i doubt i will, it would very likely be one of these, just because i like how it looks.

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

why the ongoing fascination with "cheap home/destination charging?

The Government is not pushing EVs via legislation  for the benefit of being cheaper to run that ICE vehicles.

Yes if you can afford the initial outlay and you do limited local driving then EVs can be cheap to run but guess what, the bubble is going to burst. One way or another as the sales of hydrocarbon fuels go down and the number of EVs go up (presuming the Govt doesn't move its goalposts again)  then they will find new and inventive ways to make up the shortfall

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rooted said:

If i was to be getting another EV in 2 years which i doubt i will, it would very likely be one of these, just because i like how it looks.

If I had the money to get an EV it would be something like one of the conversions that Moggy supplies kits for :) 

https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/blogs/conversions

• Like 1