the truth about electric cars

310golfr

@Ootohereonce they have driven all ICE vehicles off the road and the air is at its best, the revenue from fines dries up, plan B will be unleashed. That is charging us for the clean  air that we breathe 😆

• Groan 1

@Ootohere Well, I'm hoping that my days aren't over for a while yet, my Mum passed when she was 92, an Aunt who reached 100 and another who has recently celebrated her 100th birthday on the Isle of Wight so I might be around for another 25 years, God willing.

45 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

@Graham Butcher  You and i will not be around by then. 

& maybe the grandchildren's or great grand children's lungs will be in a good way if they are not hooked on vaping. 

Oh yes add vaping to the gas cooking and log fires

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I made lots of money serving diesel back in the day when Dundee was being converted to natural gas.   (How much fuel those vans seemed to use not going far.) Paid for my Moped, Car and then Motorbike.

Down along Dock Street was the Town Gasometers.  Just where they want to build Dundee's Eden Project.  Lots of contaminated ground to be moved.

Just near where the Wind Turbines are readied for heading out to sea.

Not many log burners in Dundee City Centre. Or coal fires, as not much coal deliveries.

Edited by Ootohere

Posted (edited)

@Ootohere Thanks for sharing these, thoroughly enjoyed watching them. I almost moved upto Scotland, 50 years when I worked at Halliburton in their Haverhill manufacturing factory which they were closing and they gave me the choice of Aberdeen service centre, Arbroath manufacturing site or going over to their HQ in Duncan in Oklahoma, in the end I chose none of them and left the company, a very good company to work for. 

Edited by Graham Butcher

4 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

@Ootohereonce they have driven all ICE vehicles off the road and the air is at its best, the revenue from fines dries up, plan B will be unleashed. That is charging us for the clean  air that we breathe 😆

It was a saying that my dear late Father used to say, "If they can find a way of charging us for the air we breathe, they will" and the low emission zones are getting close to making that happen.

The Scania CEO has been on the BBC news channel with an annoying Australian that presents a finance programme.

The CEO was very good with info on the Scania,s and Northvolt batteries, charging, driving time directives and stuff.  The Australian just annoying IMHO.

1.5 million km battery life for the HGV,s.

The future keeps getting nearer.

These were and are cracking cars. Maybe just too expensive to build for BMW at the time, and then the price to buy became high, while there were Government grants.

They managed to cut overnight the price in the UK.  Then stopped the production.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stonekeeper said:

Strangely no Tesla?? No Polestar?

There's Taycan, EV6, Born, Merc's, Ora Cat. a Volvo, eC4 and others.

The lightly used Lexus Ux300e is seriously good value. I did consider it to replace Leaf because it had Chademo connector, probably one of reason for its huge discount at retail (carwow video was comparing against RRP). Unfortunately its Chademo functionality is less than the humble Leaf, doesn't support V2H.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

The lightly used Lexus Ux300e is seriously good value. I did consider it to replace Leaf because it had Chademo connector, probably one of reason for its huge discount at retail (carwow video was comparing against RRP). Unfortunately its Chademo functionality is less than the humble Leaf, doesn't support V2H.

I took that to suggest that some EVS have depreciated the same as last year but those in the video have depreciated by the percentages quoted more than last years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, wyx087 said:

they were only looking at the worst deprecating in comparison to  how much a 1 year old had depraced at this timelast year (and then comparing to their ICE equivalents) rather than all EVs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

What a strange video on comparisons from CarWOW / Matt Wilson.   Trading in.   Not selling it and getting Cash Money.     Trading in at the Same Brand Dealership??

Trading in and how the figures have been compiled must be interesting.

There are people that will swap out of a new car after 10,000 miles, people that change cars each 2 years.

How the RRP of the Vehicles were EV ot ICE the 48 months earlier or 12 months earlier is rather important.

What would be interesting would be. 

How much more did a Dealer taking in the 12 month old 10,000 mile vehicle then take as the selling price for that 1 previous keeper car.

Maybe not even serviced?

*If dealers are giving crap trade in prices and you need to get shot of a 1 year old / 10,000 mile BEV then maybe best avoid Main Dealerships or not Main Dealerships, offer it as a private sale and ask a bit more than any Dealers trade in offers.* 

There might be Car Traders that do want to buy your car and make a smaller profit, or private buyers that do ot want to pay crazy dealers prices.

After all the car has a long warranty and might not even be due a service...

The TERM 'Worth'   is wrong.    What you can get at Trade in is not what a car is WORTH.

The DEALER is going to sell the car and say that is the price. What they say a Used car from a Dealer is WORTH. 

What cash money you CAN SELL a car for is what it is WORTH. Walk away money in hand.  That is the real Depreciation. 

WHAT IT IS WORTH TO SOMEONE. 

It is a Buyers market for Used BEV,s, and should be celebrated.  *If you can pick them up for what someone is offered as a trade in.

Did anyone that traded in a 12 month old 10,000 mile BEV actually own it or was it financed and there was the lender to pay back?

How much did the BEV cost them to run for the 10,000 miles compared to an ICE vehicle if a Business user? 

Edited by Ootohere
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ootohere said:

What a strange video on comparisons from CarWOW / Matt Wilson.   Trading in.   Not selling it and getting Cash Money.     Trading in at the Same Brand Dealership??

Trading in and how the figures have been compiled must be interesting.

He can only have made the video using Data he has access to and use the same source both times.

Also he has limited it to a specific age and mileage. No two used cars have the same value in real life every used car is unique.

Maybe data from Buying sites like motorway or webuyanycar

I agree with you on the worth, a car is worth what someone will pay for it.

The business has always been like that.

Some people are savvy and do research for prices for some sales though there will always the customer  "there's one born every minute"

I don't know how he could access reliable data for the difference between what they paid and what they sold for.

My take on the video is " Buyer beware"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Stonekeeper said:

He can only have made the video using Data he has access to and use the same source both times.

Also he has limited it to a specific age and mileage. No two used cars have the same value in real life every used car is unique.

Maybe data from Buying sites like motorway or webuyanycar

I agree with you on the worth, a car is worth what someone will pay for it.

The business has always been like that.

Some people are savvy and do research for prices for some sales though there will always the customer  "there's one born every minute"

I don't know how he could access reliable data for the difference between what they paid and what they sold for.

My take on the video is " Buyer beware"

meh! My Skoda cost £36K  three years ago, similar cars selling now for £23k but with lower spec. I'm pretty sure that's roughly the same as I would have lost on a fossil skoda over three years. In the meantime a service is under £200 every 2 years and it cost me £319 to cover just over 13,000 miles last year.

It's the best car I have ever owned (previously 11 Skodas, 1 Tesla, 1 Renault and a Nissan)

PXL_20240518_112916648.jpg

Edited by domhnall
  • Like 2

The truth is that most private buyers when buying a NEW car will almost certainly take whatever the main dealer will offer as a trade in. They just can't be bothered with the hassle of selling privately, preferring to get all the wrangling done in one go and then get on with their life and enjoying their new car. 

Like it or not, the dealer is reflecting what he knows the car will sell for in a realistic time frame before they will have to make savage cuts to it's resale price in order get it shifted. 

That retail price is also a reflection of what the public are willing to pay for a particular car at a given time. It's what a cars perceived value and reputation at that time. Also companies like Mercedes Benz have come and said publicly that they are backing from BEV and that may deter buyers for fear of lack of support in future. 

The Truth is that many have a Life Change, New job, leave a job and start up on their own, go abroad and SELL cars. 

They do not want a New Car, or a Used Car anything like the value of one they are punting. 

Leasing and renting and the prices of trade in,s is a matter that has to do with the Motor Trade and the Financial Institutions.

Cars prices when sold privately has no statistics compiled by anyone to be quoted.

Banks and others that lend money to people to buy cars will know what the money borrowed is, and those that Give out V5 loans know stuff.

Insurance companies know what they have as a Value of a car, and what people say the car is worth. 

Many will be looking to see if they can by a Used EV for the money quoted in the Videos.

Strange that these Media Companies talk about 12 or 24 month old cars and can not be bothered to show a 2022 or 2023 car.

(clips of older cars.)

2nd Video i posted.

The Corsa Electric, e-208 Peugeot, Vauxhall Mokka electric and the DS had the identical battery size and motor pre updated ones, wheel sizes were different.

The Citroen C4 was / is also from Stellantis & could give the better range with the same platform. 

Then prices mentioned. My completely standard without options top of the Range Corsa electric was £35,500 RRP in 2020.

The MINI Electric was over 30,000 last year as well. £34,500 was the price with options of the one i have. 

There were and still are crazy RRP,s.    But then Motability does not pay that and they are putting a lot of BEV,s to Auction and back into the Motor Trade, 

and will be doing many more year on year now as they do such low advance price offers or rather expensive electric cars and people are leasing these.