Hankook Kinergy Eco 2 K435, any informations?

59 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

I installed Brembo disks about 17 years ago

Perhaps you got those before Brembo was having them made in China.

Many decades back the steel was better quality, the brake discs could be skimmed rather than replaced sometimes but I'm not sure it would be worth trying now.  My previous brake drums had the wear and turn down dimensions cast on them, the cheap replacement you just throw in the recycling.

Many cars here after a rain and if the owner don't move them for few days got some light ''rust" but after 2 brakes this disappeared.

Yes that is after a few days not overnight but that did not used to happen in such a short time, items are now cheaper because they are made cheaper with cheaper materials but they may be more expensive in the long run.  I had a Suzuki Cappuccino (you may have to look that up) and it was terrible for the standards of the time for the discs to rust up so quickly so I have been used to cleaning the rust off with foot and handbrake.

Having fuel consumption ONLY in city about 12.4-14 ltr/100 Km is unacceptable, for that kind of MPG i am concern, this means that something is wrong and i waist money in gasoline plus this ruins my motor.

That's very understandable.

Toyo are a liitle bit on the ''Sport side".

Yes very much so which is why it is difficult to get the alternatives to them as they are mostly in the bigger tyre sizes for the bigger and heavier cars (and of course because of the fashion for oversized wheels and tyres).

After about 17 years in 175/60 it's difficult to turn to 165/65, it may be more comfortable in the city but for Sport driving i doubt

I know you will not believe an old fart like me about the tyre sizes and handling so if you have a look at the videos the fashionably groomed and biceped chap does that runs the tyrereviews.com site you will find one where he compares three different sizes on the same car, admittedly an overweight VW Golf IIRC but it gives the general idea.

A great deal of a vehicle's handling is down to the driver and driver training, I know because I am poor at it but with my car club activities I have been out on the highways with those that are very good at it, track instructors and performance car reviewers.

Stick with the Toyos, unless they have changed for some reason they will be hard to beat, if possible I prefer Toyos made in Japan.

Edited by nta16

56 minutes ago, nta16 said:

A great deal of a vehicle's handling is down to the driver and driver training, I know because I am poor at it but with my car club activities I have been out on the highways with those that are very good at it, track instructors and performance car reviewers.

Weather (rain, moisture, sun) is different, the roads here are more slippery than yours, the quality of asphalt isn't the same, the geometry on the curbs isn't good as in yours, he have more road patches and potholes etc.

We read reviews yes but we are very sceptical because a Uniroyal RainExpert maybe it's good tyre for Scotland or another country with heavy rainy days but here in Greece it would be a failure (noise, wear, fuel consumption).

Nor NanoEnergy 3 nor the Proxes Comfort of Toto have 175/60 tyres on 14 wheels.

1 hour ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

have more road patches and potholes etc.

I think you might be surprised at some of the roads here, plenty with decades of rough surface dressing and plenty of potholes.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear I did not mean the reviews themselves they are a waste of time for you as the sizes are wrong and for other vehicles.  I would not recommend the Uniroyals ( by the way I am not in Scotland but a dry (well for UK) part of England) and I would not compare the NanoEnergy 3 or Proxes Comfort, in fact twice I have suggested you stick with the CF2 and in the same size as you have.

What I was suggesting is that you look at a video about three different tyre sizes on the same car, unfortunately it is the heavy BMW (I remembered wrong) with bigger wheels, again I forgot the wheels were different size front to rear, and it is a rear wheel diesel, but the video gives the general idea with it's conclusion bigger is not always better.  It is not the best video to prove the point I am trying to make but was just in my mind.  If the old tyre site was still live it would give you a much better explanation and details.  Tyres are an extremely complicated car component, hence why racing teams concentrate on them so much, and many of the principles also apply to road cars.

Do wider tyres give you more grip? The differences between tyre widths tested and explained. -

D.FYLAKTOS, If you can comfortably fit 175/65/14 tyre under your wheel arches and with your suspension and steering then the extra tyre sidewall 'rubber' may help cushion some of the crash to the tyre, wheel, suspension, steering and car when your car hits potholes and stones.  OTOH - if the 175/65/14 has a higher Load Index then the sidewall might be a little stiffer so that may cancel out some of the benefit of the extra sidewall size - you would have to ask the tyre manufacturer for better details

The 175 width tyres are generally more suited to 5" rims, with 5.5" rims the sidewalls may be more upright so losing some curvature and flex giving some harshness.  All this depends on the particular tyre, its design and construction and manufacturers usually state the rim width range and preferred width.

Toyo Tires Europe, Proxes CF2 (scroll down page for details of sizes) - https://toyotires.eu/tire/pattern/proxes-cf2

Tyre size - 175/65 R14

• Load Speed Index - 82H
  • Tread Depth - 7.5 mm
  • Overall Diameter - 584 mm
  • Overall Width - 177 mm
  • Approved Rim Width Range (bold preferred) - 5.0-6.0 inches

Tyre size - 175/60 R14

• Load Speed Index - 79H
  • Tread Depth - 7.5 mm
  • Overall Diameter - 566 mm
  • Overall Width - 177 mm
  • Approved Rim Width Range (bold preferred) - 5.0-6.0 inches

Toyo Tires Europe, Proxes CF2 - https://toyotires.eu/tire/pattern/proxes-cf2

Edited by nta16
  • Thanks 1

On 14/12/2021 at 22:41, nta16 said:

The 175 width tyres are generally more suited to 5" rims, with 5.5" rims the sidewalls may be more upright so losing some curvature and flex giving some harshness.

I cannot buy new rims at the moment, i am stuck with the 5.5. 😐

2 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

I cannot buy new rims at the moment, i am stuck with the 5.5. 😐

175/65 is usually fitted to either 5J or 5.5J rims.

The original BMW Mini fitted their 175/65R15 tyres to 5.5J rims. BMW would have chosen the wider 5.5J rims instead of 5J to get a little more sharpness in the steering and handling, at the expensive of a small reduction in comfort.

The Citigo fits their 175/65R14 tyres to 5J rims.

You will be fine with 175/65R14 tyres fitted to 5.5J rims, especially if you want a sporty feel.

Edited by Carlston

• 1 month later...

I have the Goodyear Efficient Grip at the factory dimensions. Very good grip at dry tarmac. At wet tarmac, just good grip. When it is to change them, I'm thinking to go with Toyo Nanoenergy 3. Always with factory dimensions 165/70/13 79T. 

On 19/12/2021 at 01:23, Carlston said:

You will be fine with 175/65R14 tyres fitted to 5.5J rims, especially if you want a sporty feel.

I can not reconcile with the idea of what i will be out of my calculations in the kilometers i have traveled to calculate the intervals of engine oil-transmission change, for fuel consumption etc.

I do not want to hold a pocket computer every time and say "the odometer says A but in reality are B so the next oil change must be done at D and not at C", this will confuse me, will distract me and make me nervous.

I keep detailed service notes and i want to correspond in ''real'' kilometers, the 3,1% error looks to much to my eyes.

2 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

I keep detailed service notes and i want to correspond in ''real'' kilometers, the 3,1% error looks to much to my eyes.

A 3.1% difference in servicing intervals is insignificant. Modern fully synthetic engine oils are very good.

The problem comes when people go 20%, 30%, 40% further than they should before changing the engine oil. I wouldn't even go 10% further than I should before changing the engine oil. but 3.1% further, really is a very small percentage increase, and the modern fully synthetic engine oil will still be giving excellent protection to the engine. Just make sure the engine oil doesn't get below the minimum mark on the dipstick, as starving the engine of oil will cause permanent engine damage.

Two of the tyre sizes on the Fabia MK1 were 185/60R14 and 205/40R17.

205/40R17 is 3.2% bigger than 185/60R14. It doesn't cause Fabia MK1 owners any problems, as far as servicing intervals goes...and 3.1% bigger won't cause your car any problems.

Edited by Carlston

20 hours ago, Carlston said:

A 3.1% difference in servicing intervals is insignificant. Modern fully synthetic engine oils are very good.

I suspect some/many in this neck of the woods are traditionalist and stick with full mineral engine and gearbox oils.  Having had "classics" as dailies for about 30 years and used synthetics oils, in the engines at least, for just about all that time I know the resistance and non-acceptance of the benefits of (good quality) synthetic (engine) oils.

@D.FYLAKTOS Also as Carlston put the 3.1% is a difference so depending on the accuracy of the mileage (kiloage) recording equipment in the car that might even be (partially) countering an existing under reading and really although the tyre calculators go to a decimal place it might be being too precise for your needs.

I am confused but I might have missed something, (ETA: my brain-fart explained to me now) the 3.1% difference from 175/60r14 to175/65r14 is an over reading so you would be doing the oil changes a tiny bit sooner rather than a tiny bit later.  Not that either way would matter as changing the oils at a certain distance travelled is more about giving a regime to the owner/user rather than when is optimal, it may be later or a lot later than optimal or less likely but depending on the oil used and circumstances too soon.  We do not run our vehicles in strict motor laboratory conditions, in the real world the variables are enormous and numerous.  If you really wanted to know when to change the oils you would have to send samples off for analysis which you can do as an ordinary motorist but the cost of doing tests would probably make it more worth while just to change the oil (& filter).  I think garages can get test papers and do your their own analysis.

Would you believe it, and I did not know but a quick Google search took me to Opie Oils and they use Millers Oils!  (UK only) - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-4933-oil-analysis-kits.aspx

Kit Instructions.pdf

As for your fuel consumption calculations it is just another variable that has to be accepted, little difference to a change of tyres anyway as you could go from high grip and high rolling resistance tyres to low grip and low resistance and other changes and variations in the vehicle, driving, environment, etc..  You note the change and start a new set of figures for the comparison grouping.   You can not have high levels of precision in the real world, that is why even when VW and others are not cheating their vehicle fuel consumption figures they are still conducted under ridiculously precise conditions compared to real world driving.

As the fashion for oversized wheels and tyres goes back so far now the tyres available for old size wheels seems to be reducing even more, particularly if you want a more sporting style of tyre, other recent manufacturing and supply issues have added further to this.  I wonder if the range of available tyres in the sizes we want or need may remain reduced in the future for other reasons too.

Edited by nta16
not knowing short from long - I need Father Ted - "Small ... far away ... "

2 hours ago, nta16 said:

...the 3.1% difference from 175/60R14 to 175/65R14 is an over reading so you would be doing the oil changes a tiny bit sooner rather than a tiny bit later. 

Fitting bigger outside diameter tyres means that you travel further than the odometer indicates, assuming the odometer is correct to begin with.

This is because a bigger outside diameter tyre travels further with each revolution of the wheel.

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Carlston said:

Fitting bigger outside diameter tyres means that you travel further than the odometer indicates, assuming the odometer is correct to begin with.

This is because a bigger outside diameter tyre travels further with each revolution of the wheel.

Yes of course, sorry another brain-fart, as my wife often says, "no turn the other left" !!

Sometimes I mix up opposites, if I had a gun to my head 99 times out of 100 I'd get those wrong, and if I try to think of the opposite as incorrect I'm totally lost as to which is correct no wonder it seemed confusing but I ought to know with tyre sizes as on the present car I've one size over, then under, then several on spec and back to over because of the third -world roads round our way despite our party, leader, Government loyal local MP supposedly getting the area extra money for road repairs. poor fills that the company can come back and and recharge for every few years.