Charge range reduction

Nicky_P

When we took delivery of our car 3 weeks ago an 80% charge was giving 180 miles, the last week or so an 80% charge has dropped to 140 miles of range, Is this purely down to the drop in UK temperatures?

Cheers

Nik

I’m no expert, just a guy on a forum, but I would say it is a combination of a few things, but mainly the colder weather.
In 3 weeks, how many miles has it done, with how many different drivers ? How many charges have you done, and how many were to 100% ? I’m not asking for the answers but I think, from what I’ve read, they will all be affecting the displayed range. I guess with your car being new there is a lot going on for the battery management system especially as the UK temperatures fell rapidly and have now gone up again.

I believe the range calculation is mostly based on the energy use/driving style over the previous 60 miles. 
The 80% charge range you are seeing is very similar to mine, if that’s any reassurance that it isn’t a fault.
Ive found the real world figures given on ev database to be fairly accurate.

https://ev-database.uk/car/1279/Skoda-Enyaq-iV-60

Edited by classic
  • Like 2

Exact same thing I'm experiencing, but I'm blaming the wannabe 'L Hamilton' who delivered my car to the dealership and gave the thing the idea that  its in a race 🤣 that's only a joke of course, but who knows?  It's winter and it's cold and what's really bothering me is that I'm learning that fast public charging can cost as much as 40p KWH, well my car only goes 3 miles on 1 KWH in winter and the maths does my head in trying, but maybe taking the buss be might better instead.  We will see.

Same here. When I collected my iv60 in July 100% charge was nudging 400kms even just  above it sometimes. For the last few weeks temperatures in my area have been around zero at night and no more than 5-10 during the day. The result is that 100% is now 300-320kms.

Charged to 100% overnight as I’ll probably be doing at least 100 miles today, possibly more. Outside temp is 4c. And the car is estimating 170 miles, compared to 200 miles in summer.

888D76B6-4A64-46CD-94C6-84B14193C5F5.png

it depends entirely on your recent driving history. If you do lots of short trips then the car will be repeatedly heating up the cabin and the battery over and over again, which will reduce your economy. The same is true in an OICE car but vecause your fuel tank is bigger you don't notice as much. 

mine is at 76% and that's 160 miles - so that's better than your 100% and 170 miles. WHen I was on a longer trip to Milton Keynes recently you can see my range was better because I pre warmed and was on a longer trip

• Like 1

Pre-heating means running the heater/aircon whilst plugged into the mains electricity supply. You can do this from the app, or from the Infotainment screen, and you can set schedules to heat/cool the car to a set temperature for a set time - ie if you leave the house every day at 8am to drive to work, you can have it pre-heat the car to 20C so that you can just unplug and set off. Very handy in the depths of winter as it'll melt all the snow and ice from the windows too.  Most EVs have this functionality, you don't need a heat pump for it.

You don't have to be plugged into the mains either, but obviously it'll use a bit of battery power -though not a lot. It's sometimes worth doing so you can get into a nice warm (or cool) car. It runs for longer when on mains power than when on battery, (30mins vs 10mins I think)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RichR said:

Pre-heating means running the heater/aircon whilst plugged into the mains electricity supply. You can do this from the app, or from the Infotainment screen, and you can set schedules to heat/cool the car to a set temperature for a set time - ie if you leave the house every day at 8am to drive to work, you can have it pre-heat the car to 20C so that you can just unplug and set off. Very handy in the depths of winter as it'll melt all the snow and ice from the windows too.  Most EVs have this functionality, you don't need a heat pump for it.

You don't have to be plugged into the mains either, but obviously it'll use a bit of battery power -though not a lot. It's sometimes worth doing so you can get into a nice warm (or cool) car. It runs for longer when on mains power than when on battery, (30mins vs 10mins I think)

Thanks for the explanation.

• 2 weeks later...

Record low for last night's 80% charge giving a mere 92 miles, pretty poor, a 100% charge on Saturday night gave 182 miles, which was needed as we were going on a 130 mile round trip.

I would imagine those covering significant daily miles must find it a bit of a lottery on a morning wondering what the range will be, luckily our daily mileage is generally under 50 miles.

Will you even get the 92 miles out of it? My latest episode a few days ago went like this. Charged overnight to 100%, checked the app in the morning, 320kms. Not bad I thought considering the cold. Reversed 10 metres out of my driveway, range dropped to 251kms. Did a 6km round trip, parked back at the house with a now available range of 198kms. That's over 120kms lost to travel 6kms!! Outside temp was about 5°.

Range shown is not what you might actually get.

My car is using 2.5 kWh in 24 hours to do 6-8 times 0.7 miles a day.

I have a 50kWh Corsa-e that actually is 45 kWh usable. 

The percentage is correct this morning and the miles range might be if i use the car as i have for the past 3 days, 

but if i set off now and get 2.7 miles per kWh then the range is actually going to be greater than this shows, if i get 3.1 miles a kWh even greater.

If 3.5-4 kWh then like showing in the 2nd bottom pic.

I could be at 99% battery and only 89 miles range showing and after 30 miles driving to Perth on a 60 mph max road the range would be at 99 -118 miles or more.

DSCN0166.JPG

DSCN0164.JPG

Screenshot 2021-12-21 11.04.16.png

DSCN0071.JPG.59399c84d901f84cef271cbdf47a8c1a.jpeg

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1