Xenon headlamps help!

Gentlemans! 

Just got a pair xenon headlamps, right side one is ok, but left side missing ballst,bulb etc , well i would like to use them , so thing is i looking for a hid kit?! 🤔 any aftermarket one which is fit or same as factory ones? any idea how can i replace both ?  Thank you

4 minutes ago, karatekutya10 said:

thanks  but this was not the question 😑😁

Sorry about that. I was just adding in as I don't know how well that would hold up in terms of MOT time. :)

This may help, but I'm not too sure. I'll leave this to the experts.

Edited by AnnoyingPentium

55 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

You'd need headlight washers for Xenons if they're not included with the car, correct me if I'm wrong of course. :)

Also known as a bucket and sponge lol 😆 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, karatekutya10 said:

Just got a pair xenon headlamps, right side one is ok

Legally speaking, you should have/fit headlight washers and an auto self levelling kit. Presuming you just want more range, how about some Osram Nightbreakers instead, and get the lights adjusted properly rather than "as low as they'll go"?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Legally speaking, you should have/fit headlight washers and an auto self levelling kit.

Which involves a new bumper and a hell of a lot of effort.

10 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Presuming you just want more range, how about some Osram Nightbreakers instead

Nightbreakers are good as far as I know. I've got Philips bulbs that quote 130% brightness over the standard candles, got them on Amazon. There was a thread in the Mk3 Forums for halogen/projector people.

The only photograph that appears with the embed is one I posted further down the page. Weird. :thinking:

Another top tip: polish the outsides of the headlight units if they're clouding over, helps quite a bit depending on how bad they are. :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, karatekutya10 said:

well what about i keep that projectors and fit them with halogen osram brakers

If they're the original (assuming it came with halogens as standard) then your H7 Nightbreakers should fit in fine. However, if the units that came standard are xenon's then you'll need the correct xenon bulbs with their respective fitment. :)

No, H7 halogen and D2S xenon bulbs are totally different.

Just fit them with a set of the correct bulbs with ballasts. Chances are it will pass an MOT. If not, keep your original halogen units to swap back in for an MOT.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Nightbreakers are good as far as I know.

I have those in both dip and main beam. Been very happy with them and they are lasting ages 👍

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

I too have have headlamps, I only really use them at night when it's dark though.

Well flap me sideways. Next thing you'll be telling us you have reversing lights but only use them for reversing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sepulchrave said:

I too have have headlamps, I only really use them at night when it's dark though.

Ooooh do tell of this magnificent invention. I am intrigued by these so-called "headlamps". 

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
None of yer business.
  • Haha 1

On 09/12/2021 at 21:51, karatekutya10 said:

Gentlemans! 

Just got a pair xenon headlamps, right side one is ok, but left side missing ballst,bulb etc , well i would like to use them , so thing is i looking for a hid kit?! 🤔 any aftermarket one which is fit or same as factory ones? any idea how can i replace both ?  Thank you

In theory....

You've done a whole light unit replacement with a unit suitable for Xenon gas discharge lighting. So it won't fail the wrong bulb in the wrong headlamp test.

In reality you'd have to walk the tester through it if they fail the car on that. Halogen and HID headlamps are easily identified from each other so it should be obvious.

The existing manual headlight control will suffice but it must work.

There's no requirement for headlamp washers to be fitted. If fitted, they may be tested (car is pre-2009 so it's a crap shoot). But they MUST work if they're tested.

^^^All that goes out the crapper if there's a MOT testers note requiring self levelling and washers. Northern Ireland people get treated much more harshly. They have their own version of VOSA and the MOT lot and their own DOT-NI.... Or whatever it's called these days.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2021 at 22:04, AnnoyingPentium said:

You'd need headlight washers for Xenons if they're not included with the car, correct me if I'm wrong of course. :)

This is not strictly true in the UK. Up to a certain age of car you don’t have to have them, but must be working if headlamp washers are fitted. 

Search eBay using this number 380496903814 for what you need to get your xenon working again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1