Lost spare key

S_T

I found myself overly intoxicated on friday just gone, and unfortunately left my jacket in the pub, which contained my 2017 Octavia key. I've since returned to the pub and no jacket was handed in, and FB appeals have not had any success. In light of this, what is my best course of action for getting a replacement key and is it much hassle to have the lost key removed from the system. 

Elsewhere i have been advised to contact a local autolocksmith, but thought I would consult the expertise of this forum before proceeding. 

10 minutes ago, john999boy said:

I believe the immobiliser part can be unpaired but the blade will still work.

So would this prevent someone from unlocking the car doors? This is the primary concern as I don't think there would be any other way of identifying my car other than to drive around the streets triggering the fob. 

I'm not 100% but I'm sure part of the process of getting a new key made/coded is removing any missing keys. So it should not be able to zap the car open. If they happen to know where you live then they will probably be able to get into the car but not start it. Maybe worth looking into a barrel change too? Although I never did it with my last or current cars both of which only came with one key.

Getting a replacement key from a main dealer is expensive but it is a new and not cloned key, the old ones RF chip is deleted from the ECU so it can't start the car, it will of course open the drivers door, I don't know but would say its a reasonable assumption that VAG having gone that far then the key would no longer work the remote central locking.

A cheaper cloned key from Ebay or a vehicle locksmith will not disable the lost key.

I hope when you put your appeal on Facebook you did not say what make or model your vehicle was or give any clues to where you live.

• Like 1

Assuming the key is removed properly by a dealer or decent independent/auto-locksmith:

- the remote fob will not unlock car

- the immobiliser chip will not start the car

- the key blade will still unlock the drivers door and likely unlock the steering lock

I believe that using the key blade to unlock the car will cause the alarm to sound after 30s but I'm not 100% sure :)

If you get a new key from a dealer, the old key should be removed during the programming. Basically the car gets put in to a learning mode and needs each key presenting in turn to learn. As the old one is missing, it won't be present and impossible to learn ;)

• Like 3

I believe that using the key blade to unlock the car will cause the alarm to sound after 30s but I'm not 100% sure :)

Can confirm the alarm sounds the moment you open the drivers door after manually unlocking it.

I had the whole car park suddenly stare at me when I got into mine - then had to start the engine before it'd stop.