Ticket Clip problem after windscreen replacement

NigelC95

Had a car cut in sharp, and throw a stone at the screen, chip, then a crack.

The windscreen was replaced, but now the ticket clip no longer presses against the screen.

Fitter initially tried to bend the clip, then reposition it, without change.  Then removed screen, and refitted with less sealant, to move screen closer to the car body.  Clip is now closer, but still no pressure on screen ,so will not hold a car park ticket.

Windscreen company now say I have to buy a new clip, as it has probably lost tension over time.  I'm doubting this, as it was fine the day before the screen was replaced.

Theory.  I wonder if the screen is a different profile, so the curve takes it further away from the clip.  There must be something different about it.  Screen is a Pilkington.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and was it resolved?

I thought that these "Skoda only" ticket clips were fixed to the car's windscreen pillar steel section with a small self tapping screw, so maybe you will need to buy a new one remove the trim and swop them over, now and again I think about buying one of these clips for my cars, but I'd be trying to get away with forcing it in under the trim instead of risking damaging the trim piece.

I'd hate having to have a windscreen replaced!

15 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

It's not fun, but neither is a cracked windscreen. The difference between my old and new one was night and day though since my old one was very scratched. :)

6 hours ago, NigelC95 said:

Had a car cut in sharp, and throw a stone at the screen, chip, then a crack.

The windscreen was replaced, but now the ticket clip no longer presses against the screen.

Fitter initially tried to bend the clip, then reposition it, without change.  Then removed screen, and refitted with less sealant, to move screen closer to the car body.  Clip is now closer, but still no pressure on screen ,so will not hold a car park ticket.

Windscreen company now say I have to buy a new clip, as it has probably lost tension over time.  I'm doubting this, as it was fine the day before the screen was replaced.

Theory.  I wonder if the screen is a different profile, so the curve takes it further away from the clip.  There must be something different about it.  Screen is a Pilkington.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and was it resolved?

Yes. I had this exact issue when I got the screen replaced in my previous Mk3. Never fixed it. 

• Love it! 1

2 hours ago, rum4mo said:

I thought that these "Skoda only" ticket clips were fixed to the car's windscreen pillar steel section with a small self tapping screw, so maybe you will need to buy a new one remove the trim and swop them over, now and again I think about buying one of these clips for my cars, but I'd be trying to get away with forcing it in under the trim instead of risking damaging the trim piece.

The original clip is still intact, so no reason to replace.  Certainly no reason for me to buy one, as it was fine before the screen was replaced.  It is an L shape, held onto the pillar by a plastic stud, but there is no adjustment of it.  Only answer in my mind is the screen is different, possibly a deeper curve taking it away from the clip.  If this is the case, the screen is not suitable, and will need to be replaced with OE.

27 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Yes. I had this exact issue when I got the screen replaced in my previous Mk3. Never fixed it. 

Thanks for that reply, helps me regain my sanity.  I guess this is the situation with many owners, as Auto Windscreens state they've never had a similar problem.  Seems impossible to contact Pilkington, as their website gives no contact specifically for automotive screens, apart from classic ones.  The website contact form goes to architectural, who have no way of forwarding it to anyone in automotive.  A company that hides is not worth my custom.

I've asked Skoda UK if they've had similar problems.

Edited by NigelC95

Auto Windscreens, hum, yes they can be tricky to deal with, they were my "go to" insurance repairer for my old VW Passat 4Motion to fill in a chip, my older daughter used them to fill in a chip on her old Ibiza, when I got them to repeat that repair as the original repair had started to become visible again after a few years and their paperwork for the first repair said it was covered for life - but when they were challenged their answer was "yes, but we have changed all our business management systems so we now have no record of that repair" - and I was showing them the original repair paperwork.

As I said, can be a horrible area of a car to get worked on - unless you find a proper repairer that uses correct OEM parts - but in an emergency these "fast fit" companies can and do save the day.

Pilkington probably don't sell direct to the public especially as far as the normal auto glass screens are concerned, so why would you expect to be able to contact them directly, I wouldn't.

• Like 1

It was AutoGlass that did mine through my insurance company and the new windscreen is a good fitment and I don't get blinded as much since I don't have the beam from car headlights splitting as it goes up all the scratches on the glass. :D

I've never even heard of Auto Windscreens actually. 

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
  • Like 1

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm amazed, having had the new screen fitted twice already you're contemplating having it done a third time for the sake of a ticket holder.  If the screen is good then I'd spend a quid in a stick on ticket holder from eBay.  I've used them for years in various cars and they work equally well if not better.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185193929387?hash=item2b1e6b1aab:g:3GYAAOSwgwhfGGjB

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm amazed, having had the new screen fitted twice already you're contemplating having it done a third time for the sake of a ticket holder.  If the screen is good then I'd spend a quid in a stick on ticket holder from eBay.  I've used them for years in various cars and they work equally well if not better.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185193929387?hash=item2b1e6b1aab:g:3GYAAOSwgwhfGGjB

For the £1.49 those cost, I've sent away for one for my Fabia.

You'll also notice that there's a Mk1 Octavia vRS in the background of that listing's promotional picture... or perhaps I need to get a hobby? :wondering:

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
  • Haha 1

I bought a pack of 4 or 5 of these stick on ones over a year ago, they do surface now and again but so far I've not actually fitted any of them, I keep putting that job off until I've modified or reformed them using a heat source so that they can be pushed under the trim and still apply enough force on the screen to grip parking tickets, but maybe I've moved away from using parking tickets and paying online instead! Though a few places we park still work by physical ticketing, so maybe I'll get this sorted out!!

Good luck with expecting them to remove a perfectly good screen that they have already (supposedly) refitted once and replacing it with an OEM one because your ticket clip does not grip.

For all the time that you have spent on this returning the vehicle, contacting Skoda & Pilkington (neither of which want to be spending their time with matters like this), posting on here etc you could have spent 3 minutes to remove the clip, bend it using a hot air gun or after submerging in boiling water and refitting it.

It reminds me of an old insurance company advert "We won't make a drama out of a crisis!" except this is no crisis.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NigelC95 said:

Seems impossible to contact Pilkington, as their website gives no contact specifically for automotive screens, apart from classic ones.  The website contact form goes to architectural, who have no way of forwarding it to anyone in automotive.  A company that hides is not worth my custom.

You used Auto Windscreens & not Pilkington, did you even pay for the replacement or was it your insurer?

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

Good luck with expecting them to remove a perfectly good screen that they have already (supposedly) refitted once and replacing it with an OEM one because your ticket clip does not grip.

For all the time that you have spent on this returning the vehicle, contacting Skoda & Pilkington (neither of which want to be spending their time with matters like this), posting on here etc you could have spent 3 minutes to remove the clip, bend it using a hot air gun or after submerging in boiling water and refitting it.

It reminds me of an old insurance company advert "We won't make a drama out of a crisis!" except this is no crisis.

It is not a perfectly good screen, as it does not fit like the original.  All the work has been done at my home, so no time 'returning' it anywhere.

You may be happy with trying to modify the clip, but that is your perogative.  I see no reason why I should have to modify part of the vehicle to accommodate a poorly fitting replacement part.  You are suggesting heating the clip with a hot air gun, or boiling water, but do not state whether you have done this.  The type of plastic will determine if this is possible, and I see no reason to experiment with it. Heat may help change its shape, but it may then lose its elasticity, rendering it useless anyway.  No reason for me to work to rectify a problem created by them.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

You used Auto Windscreens & not Pilkington, did you even pay for the replacement or was it your insurer?

Why the aggressive tone?  Did my query offend you in some way?  Try to be civil.

Auto Windscreens were contracted by my insurer.  Having paid the insurance excess, and of course th epremium in the first place, I am entitled to have the car returned to original condition, which currently it is not.  There should be no reason to lose a feature of the car.  I don't care whether Auto Windscreens replace it, or the insurer pays.

Auto Windscreens do not seem to understand the issue. My attempt to contact Pilkington was to get their view on it, to see if they kney their screen was inadequate, or if this was a misshape.  That appears to be impossible, but with another post with a similar issue, it seems they have made their screens not a perfect copy.

• Groan 1

11 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

It was AutoGlass that did mine through my insurance company and the new windscreen is a good fitment and I don't get blinded as much since I don't have the beam from car headlights splitting as it goes up all the scratches on the glass. :D

I've never even heard of Auto Windscreens actually. 

Does the original clip work with the new screen?  Do you know the screen manufacturer?  Would be good to know if it fits properly, thanks.

1 minute ago, NigelC95 said:

Does the original clip work with the new screen?  Do you know the screen manufacturer?  Would be good to know if it fits properly, thanks.

I don't have a clip because my Mk1 is about as advanced as an abacus... plus it was never fitted. I don't know who manufactured the screen and it's a wee bit dark and wet for me to check at this moment in time. I've bought one of those clip-on doo-dads that @skomaz posted a link to in the hopes that it'll help me. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help. :)

• Like 1

I wish you luck with your quest Nigel, you are going to need it.

There was no offence taken nor aggression on my part.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, NigelC95 said:

It is not a perfectly good screen, as it does not fit like the original.  All the work has been done at my home, so no time 'returning' it anywhere.

You may be happy with trying to modify the clip, but that is your perogative.  I see no reason why I should have to modify part of the vehicle to accommodate a poorly fitting replacement part.  You are suggesting heating the clip with a hot air gun, or boiling water, but do not state whether you have done this.  The type of plastic will determine if this is possible, and I see no reason to experiment with it. Heat may help change its shape, but it may then lose its elasticity, rendering it useless anyway.  No reason for me to work to rectify a problem created by them.

Why the aggressive tone?  Did my query offend you in some way?  Try to be civil.

Auto Windscreens were contracted by my insurer.  Having paid the insurance excess, and of course th epremium in the first place, I am entitled to have the car returned to original condition, which currently it is not.  There should be no reason to lose a feature of the car.  I don't care whether Auto Windscreens replace it, or the insurer pays.

Auto Windscreens do not seem to understand the issue. My attempt to contact Pilkington was to get their view on it, to see if they kney their screen was inadequate, or if this was a misshape.  That appears to be impossible, but with another post with a similar issue, it seems they have made their screens not a perfect copy.

Personally i think you will get absolutely nlwhere with your complaint as im sure both will simply say the screen is within the relevent manufacturing tolerances and will refuse to replace it or, at best, will get someone to remve the pillar trim and bend the ticket holder a bit after a lot of arguing.  To me the argy bargy and stress simply wouldn't be worthwhile for what it is.

Also for info I had the same clip on both our Fabia and Octavia and one was tighter against the screen than the other.  I cant recall whether my kodiaq has one so not sure how good that id if fitted...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I don't have a clip because my Mk1 is about as advanced as an abacus... plus it was never fitted. I don't know who manufactured the screen and it's a wee bit dark and wet for me to check at this moment in time. I've bought one of those clip-on doo-dads that @skomaz posted a link to in the hopes that it'll help me. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help. :)

Thanks anyway.  No need to go out in the cold and dark.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I wish you luck with your quest Nigel, you are going to need it.

There was no offence taken nor aggression on my part.

Thanks.  Just the way it came out of the page at me. No worries.

I'm happy to make the screen people and the insurance company squirm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

I don't think Pilkingtons actually fit the windscreen. They're just manufacturers of glass. 

• Like 2