Batteries for key fob

Hi guys need to change a battery on the key fob mark 3 Octavia dash is saying battery low my question is  2020  or  2032 I believe one of these is the one that you put in in which comes from the factory I think it's the 20 but can a 32 be squeezed in there as well and would that give me a bit longer without keep changing batteries every couple of years I do rotate my keys every 4 months advice would be helpful and is there a recommended battery manufacturer that will give me a longer life

CR2025 come with the car.

This battery is 20mm in diameter and 2.5 mm thick. Hence 2025.

CR2032 battery is 20mm in diameter but 3.2 mm thick. Hence 2032.

So this one is 0.7 mm thicker.

Know brands like Panasonic, Sony, Varta, Duracell, not the 10 for a £1 unknown brand.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Love it! 1

44 minutes ago, Diljit said:

Top information I didn't know that so are you saying that is possible to squeeze a 32-in there

Not tried it yet personally but certainly have read on here that people do it with varying degrees of success and that the thicker 2032 battery lasts longer.

I would recommend that you use Duracell, Varta, Panasonic, Energiser brand's and echo AGFalco's comments. 

Don't buy 10 from the likes of Aldi or Lidl, they're awful. You can get some good deals by buying double packs in multiple too, so look for the likes of 4 for the price of 3, then keep 2 in the house, 2 in the car, 2 in your wallet and 2 at work, so should the fob run out, you're not going to be caught out. It's just a case of putting a coin in the slot twisting it and accessing the battery and replacing it.

I've been caught out at 0115 in the morning, but now I've got a spare key & batteries in my bag and batteries in my locker and wallet. All are Duracell and have a good long date on them. 

• Love it! 1

Just changed my fob battery with the same size as existing, didn't want to force anything in the fob 🤦 Didn't work with a cheapie though ! Bought 4 Energizer for £3.99 from Amazon, and all works well. With my car, If you do get stuck, you can access & drive the car without the fob working.

Edited by stevo1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Diljit said:

Would you recommend a 2020 or do you think a2032 two if I can get it in there thanks for the heads up

Replace like for like. You force a wrong sized battery in and it breaks the fob or it gets stuck in there then you're looking at a nasty bill to replace it.

I hate it when people suggest putting in a bigger one and whilst it may fit with a struggle, its quite simply not designed for it and I have scant sympathy for those who do it and come unstuck and it results in a nasty bill for them. Do it properly or not at all.

• Like 1

What is the price of a new correct size battery?

What is the price of a new key after fitting the wrong size battery?

Just get a good quality right size one.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Thanks 1

Given the number of owners that have posted on here about fitting a CR2032 instead of a CR2025 (same 20mm diameter but 0.7mm thicker) without any problems I think there's a degree of over exaggeration of the possible problems/consequences in some recent posts.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Thanks 1

Never had any problems fitting the '32's, everything just pop's in as normal.

I agree about using good batteries. Also, if you do it when you get the heads up, it's less hassle. 

• Like 1