Retrofit USB-C by mirror

SimonB68

I had ordered my SE-L with the USB-C by mirror option, but it got canned with the MY20 BW38 changes, and was thereafter only available with a driver aid package which I don't need and wasn't willing to stump up £1k+ for.

Now this wasn't the only reason for buying the Kodiaq but it was an appealing feature since it meant I could run my dashcam without having to run cables or tap into power supplies, particularly whilst it was in warranty.

The reason I was given for it being dropped as an independent option was that the wiring was only present if one of said driving aids was fitted (I believe a camera, don't recall). This seemed like a major design change for what appeared to be mostly spec shuffling in the BW38 changes, so I was always sceptical.

The option can now be specified independently which makes me think it could have been added originally, but was not possible for marketing reasons.

Does anyone have any insight into how this option is fitted, what is required, and is there any likelihood of it being retrofitted, or at least a competent third party implementing something similar?

Thanks

Simon

Edited by SimonB68
Said sat-nav, meant dashcam

11 minutes ago, xspartx said:

Not sure it helps but I ordered the same (Stand alone) option in July and it's on the car.

I’ve ordered it too, on the facelift it is a £55 option, but this could be due to having the camera for the matrix headlights mounted in the mirror housing.

So it could be correct that you had to add options that included the camera to get the usb socket.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

I’ve ordered it too, on the facelift it is a £55 option, but this could be due to having the camera for the matrix headlights mounted in the mirror housing.

So it could be correct that you had to add options that included the camera to get the usb socket.

That is a very good point.

Hmmm, OK, that sounds plausible. Thanks.

Perhaps then one of the cost cuts of the BW38 changes was to eliminate the pre-wire (for options), although I would have been tempted to pay more for the USB-C socket, if it meant covering the cost of the wiring to the mirror.

There's plenty of electrics up there though, seems odd that they can't tap into those. Anyway, I'll talk to the service centre when it goes in in March.

12 minutes ago, Billywizzo said:

Would the usb port supply enough power for the dashcam

Skoda market it for this purpose, and reports online of people using it for dsahcams.

12 minutes ago, Billywizzo said:

do they power off when the car is turned off, I know the 12 volt sockets stay powered all the time.

Don't know, but in my case I would hope it turns off unless the port included some battery protection. I had a protection device in my last car to prevent draw below 12.4V (I think). Used to be the case that regularly overdrawing a battery could reduce it's life, and of course there's the potential to run it flat if dashcam left on and car not used for a while. I know people like to leave a dashcam running when parked, but I got mine for recording on road incidents.

On my Karoq the 12V sockets stay live but the usb c sockets switch off. I wish I had ordered the mirror usb c but it's too late now. You can power a dashcam from the usb c sockets, but my dascam tried in vain to connect to the 'computer'; a data-blocking cable sorted that.

I'd imagine the cost and effort of trying to retrofit the factory USB-C port would be offset by the professional / hardwiring of a Skoda-approved dash cam kit?

If it's the warranty that is of most concern, then most franchised Skoda main dealers offer a dash cam fitting service. Unlikely to be the cheapest but an option for consideration at least...

6 hours ago, Billywizzo said:

Would the usb port supply enough power for the dashcam and do they power off when the car is turned off, I know the 12 volt sockets stay powered all the time.

That's what it is there for. I use it for a dash cam, and it is ignition switched - no delays or anything, turns on and off with the ignition.

Edit: Of course, if you retrofit it, it would all depend on how it gets wired up as to whether or not the above holds true.

Edited by Yogi-Bear

To be honest it's actually quite easy (if a little awkward) to run a £10 cable and fuse from the fuse box behind the glove box and up to the rear mirror, hiding the cables behind all the trim. I did it a couple of years ago following online guidance (there's a thread here in briskoda). No special equipment needed but one or two plastic trim tools make it easier to push the cables behind trim where needed. The most difficult bit was figuring out how to drop the glove box front but it's simple when you get the knack of it.

14 hours ago, Yogi-Bear said:

That's what it is there for. I use it for a dash cam, and it is ignition switched - no delays or anything, turns on and off with the ignition.

I don’t have the mirror usb so key so was not sure how much power it supplied.

Like  “ apshep “ posted, it is not difficult to hard wire in a dash cam using the guide posted on this forum if you don’t have the mirror USB port.

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys, At the end of the month I'm supposedly taking delivery of a 1.5 DSG Kodiaq SEL exec. One of the ordered options was the usb port in the rear view mirror housing (£55 when i spec'ed it) for powering dash cams. I've see a lot of narrative for several different models regarding a retro fit of these into various models. Also in the next few days my wife will be taking delivery of  a Kamiq 110ps DSG SEL exc with a lot of options, we didn't spec this car but bought it in the recent skoda clearance event. If we had spec'ed it then I would have had a few additional items: the variable height floor( watch this space)  and the mirror USB-C connection amongst them. I am a recently retired professional engineer  but have just had major orthopaedic surgery and not quite back on my feet yet. However when I get the Kodiaq I will get my son to take the mirror housing apart and have a good look at how they have done the modification. We will also trace the wiring back to either the fuse box or other supply and then circulate  our findings for those wanting to do the same modification, if we can find p/ns I will circulate those as well. 

I know that our model Kamiq does have a shroud around the mirror and again we will dismantle this and have a look at if it can be modified or at least get a part number off it as a starter - even though it doesn't have the usb port in it, it might drive me to the right location in the spares catalogue, equally the existing shroud may be  able to be modified, it's not the external hole that may be a problem rather any internal moulding differences that might prevent a home grown mod. Currently I'm not able to find the VIN on the different spares providers web sites that also give access to the parts catalogue so can't even find the shroud. I did try a down load of the ETKA  link that someone had kindly provided but I still couldn't find my VIN??

I'm also trying to find a FOC way of getting access to the service manuals for these cars. Someone had kindly provided a link but when I tried to use it my anti virus software pick up it was infected so would allow me to do so ( unless I disabled it which  rather defeats the point of having it).

If I'm trying to interfere in something that's already been addressed then please ignore this post and point me in the right direction. 

Regards

Ado

• Like 1