Photographs of Past Cars...

34 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

IIRC a real 1600E would have had a pair of auxiliary lights.

I've got a feel you're right - but the bumper and lights could have been damaged when the car was reserved in to and still to be sorted  by the insurance, and look it sez 1600 on the log book.

I knew someone with a Mk2 1600 and they wanted to turn it into an E , had the gearbox remote above the tunnel and it used to have a whistle, probably from under the car and through the hole in the tin, I was too young to care where I lived not to many families even knew someone with a car.

32 minutes ago, Mickvrs220 said:

And wasnt the badge in middle of the grill red i think.

Earlier ones perhaps later blue, but I was thinking black anyway.

I did think about buying one 20 years ago and had a quick look at one in a local-ish classic car showroom but I think it must have been a front for some tax dodge as I'd mostly seen the same cars as I passed by and there was no one about as I climbed all over the car. 

We have Billing Aquadrome  near by and they used to have big annual club show/meets there and that year three different Ford clubs over one weekend including 1600E so I went down.  Saw and learnt enough to put me off, and I saw one with opening quarterlights having not noticed the others weren't, IIRC export model for somewhere like Greece I think so 6/60 instead of 4/60 air-con.

9 hours ago, nta16 said:

If it wasn't for the Eagle that could almost be a brochure photo.  I wonder what BL could offer to compete with that. 😄

My dad sold cars at the time and he said it was the only Japanese car he'd buy. Considering how poor some of the BL cars were, I had a 1800 Morris, which was not bad, the Celica was a cut above. 

A mate had a s/h MR2 (mk1) with a bird covering a lot of the bonnet, a special edition car or something, I didn't take in the details as it looked too Trans-Am(?) to me and oversized to the small bonnet.

• Like 1

I know where the picture is and will get it in a couple of weeks.  Taken in 1977 of my 1970 MK2 Cortina 1.6 Deluxe auto.  2 tone paint, green lower and roof. White bonnet and boot and front to back between red pin stripe on body line.  Silver banded steel wheels with hub caps. After front rebuild it got a 2.000 E engine and auto gearbox.   When standard and bought from the garage I worked in's secretary and  while I was in hospital & my dad driving it someone crashed into the rear and that was renewed with work done by my journeyman.  Then after collecting it one night on the way home from pub and going for a blast it put it through a fence and took down a telegraph pole.   So new front and the paint job I did.    Then one night trying to jump it around a junction at the top of a steep hill I put it into a very solid wall.   It finally died then and i was banned as alcohol had been taken the night before and into the morning and blood was for the police when I was getting my ear stitched back on.  Me and passenger were at A&E and the 2 that were in the back were fine. 

Whiplash was not a thing then!

My Hillman Imp before that which had been Green and my Dads car for getting to work rather than using the Caravan Tow car was resprayed in Navy Blue lower and roof and white body line to window line front to back and bonnet and engine lid top.  Square number plates!

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I'll fire this up, my Great Grampa's last car which then became my Grampa's. A Mk3 Cavalier 1.6. :)

20210710_155155.thumb.jpg.1a727c69779b9fd9de869e5c154e140b.jpg

I had a mk 3 in red too twas a 2 litre gls i swapped my fiesta xr2 for it  i got the better deal haha

Just now, TMB said:

Is that rhyming slang? :D

Maybe i should change that for over the buttertubs haha 👍

• Like 2

On 11/02/2022 at 21:40, nta16 said:

10 year old last year of the Mk2, is it a 1600E or just the grille (IIRC).

Dillion looks fabulous, big lad, cross between a cat and a fox maybe (or is he a dog, blurry eyes and photo), fantastic regardless.

Just a 1600 Super. Purbeck Grey with a hand painted matt black mock vinyl roof :D

Dillon was a great cat - bequeathed to us by a colleague who emigrated to the USA. Huge but gentle - he was the kids' best mate when they were tiny. Even my F-I-L who was a dyed-in-the-wool dog person couldn't resist him when he suddenly arrived on his lap :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I'm cheating a little bit by including this photograph as it isn't directly a past car, per se, I think it counts though.

515b3e189d1d4ea386e64dd8556b0dd8.thumb.jpg.f1c4230e50472d6777d1cb5ad96a5339.jpg

It is, however, the exact clone of the one my Granda had from 2008 until 2020. The difference with this one is the roof bars and the last letter on the registration plate being an "O" instead of a "P". It even has the faded bumpers right! :D

I spotted this one up for sale recently and had to double take it as I could swear our one was scrapped. Ours did meet a sad demise, however.

image.thumb.png.11c664d28403b9d11d01697103b2b64c.png

image.thumb.png.ced860ad3aab3cef604f02b71858b16f.png

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
Additional Information.
  • Like 1

On 20/02/2022 at 22:43, AnnoyingPentium said:

Ours did meet a sad demise, however.

What happened to it?

EDIT: Oh, maybe serious corrosion?

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

Just now, TMB said:

What happened to it?

Failed the MOT in 2020... could have been fixable, but the labour would have probably amounted to more than what the car was worth. You could feel the handling deteriorate on it too. The wings were beginning to rot as well, paint was flaking off like dandruff. :D

image.thumb.png.02fd49cad95c185430f5076d2a682869.png

Passed the year before with the oil leak as always. My Granda regrets not keeping it to break it up since it had just got a new exhaust, front tyres, coil packs, and some other things. He got £200 off of his Sandero for it.

It was meant to be my first car, so if it hadn't rotted away underneath I probably wouldn't be on this forum right now. It was quicker than the Fab and better on road tax, but had a fair share of issues, albeit not really dangerous... besides the rot.

He had just bought the car brand new for my first day in Primary School, and took me home in it on my last day of Primary School too. I went everywhere in that car though. What they say about being attached to a car is true, the whole family loved it - besides my Granny, she hated it. :giggle:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

if it hadn't rotted away underneath I probably wouldn't be on this forum right now.

At least one good thing came out of it  👍

4 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

He had just bought the car brand new for my first day in Primary School, and took me home in it on my last day of Primary School too. I went everywhere in that car though. What they say about being attached to a car is true, the whole family loved it - besides my Granny, she hated it. :giggle:

Aww, a bit sentimental then :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TMB said:

At least one good thing came out of it  👍

Definitely, at least my Fabia hasn't ate window regulators (yet) - I don't really use my windows so I wouldn't know if they died. :D

9 minutes ago, TMB said:

Aww, a bit sentimental then :)

Definitely, it was a good car for most of its life. I had debated making an offer on the one from AutoTrader just so I could spook my Granda a wee bit by sitting it on the driveway. :D

• Like 1

Just now, AnnoyingPentium said:

Definitely, at least my Fabia hasn't ate window regulators (yet) - I don't really use my windows so I wouldn't know if they died. :D

Shhhhhh, don't let the Wee Red Nugget hear you or it will conspire against you :D

2 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Definitely, it was a good car for most of its life. I had debated making an offer on the one from AutoTrader just so I could spook my Granda a wee bit by sitting it on the driveway. :D

:D

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think this was around 1993 for my 2.8 V6 Auto Ghia which was followed by a metallic green estate then an ex Police 2.9 auto Granada Scorpio which was for towing trailers rather than carrying stuff like white water kayaks & bikes on  the roof or inside.

& Jimny Pickup 2009 @ Tong.

DSCN1046.JPG

tay & tong.& knockhill. june 2009 033.JPG

100_5344.JPG

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Eventually i found the picture of my Cortina i did a full respray on in 1978 and wrote off not that much later.

LOL at the free tat fitted, wiper deflectors to keep them down at speed, door protectors, AA / RAC badges or is it 2 X AA of which i was not a member.

DSCN1126.JPG

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, roottoot said:

Eventually i found the picture of my Cortina i did a full respray on in 1978 and wrote off not that much later.

LOL at the free tat fitted, wiper deflectors to keep them down at speed, door protectors, AA / RAC badges or is it 2 X AA of which i was not a member.

DSCN1126.JPG

Brings back memories george ,my dad had the estate version in the 70s ,the paint were buggered on the bonnet when he bought it so my mam painted the whole car one summers evening ,you could buy car paint to brush on back then ,and it had aa badges on the grill .