280 losing coolant

I had a low coolant error flash up the other day (first time ever).

Checked coolant level & it was a bit low. Topped it up & will keep monitoring.

Question is where has the coolant escaped from? No obvious signs of any leaks. Mileage is 52,500 & next service is away off.

Does the 280 have a weep hole in the water pump to indicate a new pump is required? 

By 280 I assume a 2.0 tsi, these don’t have a belt driven water pump in the traditional sense.

they have a electric water pump on the front of the engine that is run by a tiny belt also. This housing and pump is prone to leaks. Most likely will be this. Can be seen by looking up from the underneath at the front of the engine 

As above, It sounds like the water pump.  I had one go during the main lockdown. Looking around it's a relatively common fault on the chain driven vag engines, not just the 280.

Probably the waterpump seal.

Known VAG EA888 problem. The guy mounting the engine doesn't bolt the screws in order, it squeezes the seal and eventually leads to a seal.

Can you get it done on warranty? They change the whole pump. If you can't then try to get a new seal as the pump should be fine.

26 minutes ago, RedLineZ said:

Probably the waterpump seal.

Known VAG EA888 problem. The guy mounting the engine doesn't bolt the screws in order, it squeezes the seal and eventually leads to a seal.

Can you get it done on warranty? They change the whole pump. If you can't then try to get a new seal as the pump should be fine.

Not at all what the issue is, there are 3 main failure points on these

- The actual bearing goes on the pump and it leaks from the shaft

- The seal between pump and thermostat housing leaks 

- The seals all around the thermostat housing leak as there are so many joins either rubber seals or plastic welds - this is the main one.

You would be very very silly to just change a seal - if it is a changeable part even - get a new pump, thermostat housing and small cotton reel piece between thermostat and oil cooler. Thats all you need and theres no point only doing half a job.

55 minutes ago, RedLineZ said:

The guy mounting the engine doesn't bolt the screws in order,

A human being assembling engine parts in a modern production line, what a quaint notion! 😆

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

A human being assembling engine parts in a modern production line, what a quaint notion! 😆

You think they build these engines by hand with 1000% attention to detail?

No, they are mass produced with target numbers to reach daily.

Minor parts are done by hand, apparently the water pump assembly is one.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RedLineZ said:

apparently the water pump assembly is one.

You cant take something that you 'think' is the truth and tell people its the truth and the cause. 

Ive replaced somewhere between 50 and 100 of these water pumps on both longitudinal and horizontal engines and its not as simple as 'replace a water pump seal'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedLineZ said:

This guy knows his water pumps.

Buy a whole new pump for 400 quid, forget the seals.

Thread can be closed :D

You’re looking about £450 parts and I believe the book time is 4 hours or so + coolant flush and a run up so like the guy bellow said, you’re looking about £700 or so 

Personally if it’s the first time it’s ever done this, then just replenish.

Maybe it’s always been really low (but not enough to trigger sensor) and you’ve never noticed.

If it does it again then you know for sure something is leaking or consuming

Edited by Danoid

19 hours ago, Chazzy said:

£725 Inc 5 hours labour at my local garage. 2016 280 with 65000 mls. 

I could see dampness looking down between rad and block area. 

Wow that's expensive!  I was quoted £599 first then sawed the local mechanic that I can buy the part for £300.

22 minutes ago, Awesam said:

Just paid £490 for a  new thermostat housing and waterpump fitted - INA brand and coolant.  which can be bought from Autodoc for £300.

TPS are selling a genuine one for £405.

Trade prices are not the same as retail prices though, theres always gonna be an additional fee put on by the company

£490 fitted means £190 in labour, thats incredibly cheap, I definitely wouldn't be doing the job for that price, its a messy and scratchy job. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments & apologies' for the delayed response - I forgot to do the follow topic button doh!!

Ouch! Sounds like an expensive fix.

I'll keep an eye on it & in the meantime I'll get a quote from a couple of local VAG independents. 

Bang goes my first ever state pension payment ☹️  

On 21/02/2022 at 14:01, Danoid said:

Personally if it’s the first time it’s ever done this, then just replenish.

Maybe it’s always been really low (but not enough to trigger sensor) and you’ve never noticed.

If it does it again then you know for sure something is leaking or consuming

Yep. That's my plan for now at least. I plan to have a look today.

I checked the coolant level today 3 weeks after the warning light originally came on & I topped it up. The level looks OK & there are no visible signs of any leaks from on top or underneath. So on that basis I guess some more observation is required over the coming weeks before I need to take any action.  

• Like 1