Adaptive Cruise Control bug

Dave2318

Hi all. I'll start by saying I'm on my 5th Octavia and this is the worst one I've ever had, it's been in the garage more than the others combined and I've not had it for a year yet!

I have a 2021 Octavia VRS. Had loads of software issues with it since day 1 and I've had enough! It's been into the garage about 6 or 7 times for firmware updates and I STILL get random errors when I start it up.

Anyway rant over. The latest problem is the Adaptive Cruise Control will randomly slam on the brakes when I'm overtaking a vehicle. Mainly happens on the motorway when overtaking very large vehicles (HGVs etc). And will slam on to prevent me overtaking!

This is very dangerous! Skoda have said they have known about the problem for over 9 months and are waiting on a other firmware fix for it! 

What the heck has happened to Skoda recently, it's like they've fired the QA department. This car is not ready for sale, DON'T buy one! Worst thing is I know someone who has taken delivery of an Audi recently and is experiencing the same type of issues!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dave2318 said:

The latest problem is the Adaptive Cruise Control will randomly slam on the brakes when I'm overtaking a vehicle. Mainly happens on the motorway when overtaking very large vehicles (HGVs etc). And will slam on to prevent me overtaking!

Been mentioned several times in this forum, seems that the car randomly thinks it's in a country where they drive on the right so it thinks you're trying to undertake not overtake.

Sadly the ACC fault is a known issue and many in this forum are suffering from the same issue.

My own Octy 4 was off the road, at the dealer for 5 months due to s/w issues; it did though help Škoda track down some faults and develop a fix. So far it’s much better, and a joy to drive.

ACC isn’t an issue in mine now, hopefully they can get the updates rolled out for everyone very soon.

Edited by sneal

Hopefully yep but they've known about the problem for over 9 months!

I've had my car since April and I've barely had a day with no errors on it, it's only fone 3500 miles! Ignoring the obviously not fit for purpose software the car is amazing, but I'm at the point that I just want to give it back and walk away from VAG group (only had VAG group cars for over 20 years). I don't think I should pay full price for a car that is basically in "beta" release and obviously not fit to be sold yet.

I too have the same issue, as you say they know about it and all I got was... we recommend you don't use the ACC!?! My Travel Assist doesn't work either so its a complete disgrace, and as you say is dangerous because people around you think you are brake testing them. Sadly Skoda don't seem to care at all. 

• Sponsor

It's a common issue and it's usually caused due to a feature called "undertaking prevention" 

Obviously you aren't undertaking, but as the radar is under the impression it's LHD then it thinks you are. You'll likely notice that if you try to undertake then it'll have no problem allowing you to do so 

Whilst there's no fix yet, the undertaking prevention feature can be disabled in a matter of minutes. It makes no difference to the driveability other than you'll be able to overtake and undertake without intervention - apposed to just being able to undertake 

Edited by East_Yorkshire_Retrofits
  • Like 1

That's interesting! How do you disable undertake protection?

Just so you know, undertake prevention does work fine for me, so somewhere it's thinking it's left and right hand drive

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dave2318 said:

That's interesting! How do you disable undertake protection?

Just so you know, undertake prevention does work fine for me, so somewhere it's thinking it's left and right hand drive

I’d like to know this too. 

18 hours ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

It's a common issue and it's usually caused due to a feature called "undertaking prevention" 

Obviously you aren't undertaking, but as the radar is under the impression it's LHD then it thinks you are. You'll likely notice that if you try to undertake then it'll have no problem allowing you to do so 

Whilst there's no fix yet, the undertaking prevention feature can be disabled in a matter of minutes. It makes no difference to the driveability other than you'll be able to overtake and undertake without intervention - apposed to just being able to undertake 

I am not sure you can in the Octy 4, I coded it out on my Golf R 7.5 but I cant do it on the newer software they have used. Its crazy that you can not just turn it 'off' in the software, but as ever they are taking control away from the driver, instead you have to tap the accelerator every time a car is picked up, great in a perfectly working car, but the Octy Mk4 is far from a 'perfectly working' car!  

3 minutes ago, Dave2318 said:

Oh well. By the way, DVSA is aware of the ACC bug and are in discussions with Skoda about it, so hopefully it will get fixed and there will be a recall at some point...

Awesome! That should hopefully help give Skoda a kick up the backside... 

I struggle to see how the car media haven't picked up on the awful software of the car, praising its ability all the time without ever checking what the car is really like to live with! 

Unlikely there will be an actual DVSA safety critical recall with the DVLA giving VW UK / Skoda all registered keepers contact details.  VW Group will tell them as usual. They will do a Voluntary Recall which is just a Recall action as usual with even Approved Used Skoda for sale at Dealerships being missed.  So just a service campaign.    There are vloggers / journalist running Skoda's that have commented on the software including a member from briskoda.   But Haymarket media group so Autocar / What Car, or Heycar / honest John are not going to say much.  Not with their contracts with VW on advertising or Heycars ownership by VW group and Daimler. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2

Yep, it's a constant pain in the a55. The slow startup of the infotainment system is really annoying, sitting on the drive for several minutes waiting to set a sat Nav destination.

I've had enough of it and I'm starting the process of handing the car back. I've had a VAG group car for over 25 years, now I'm moving away, not sure what too though

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave2318 said:

Yep, it's a constant pain in the a55. The slow startup of the infotainment system is really annoying, sitting on the drive for several minutes waiting to set a sat Nav destination.

I've had enough of it and I'm starting the process of handing the car back. I've had a VAG group car for over 25 years, now I'm moving away, not sure what too though

I must admit my start up is not bad at all, I can live with it, but the other bugs are painful. I totally understand your point, and having VAG cars for the best part of 20 years, likewise, this is probably the last, but..... as you say what next.... Skoda have hit a lovely balance of cost/usability, until now! 

Yep, I still love the Octavia but what comes near to it!

The slow startup I can sometimes live with but it can take up to 5 minutes sat on the drive before I can access sat Nav to start my journey, which is just plain annoying, especially when it's also binging random errors whilst I'm sat there, then telling me not to sit with the engine idling!

Edited by Dave2318

• Sponsor
3 hours ago, matrix2020 said:

I am not sure you can in the Octy 4, I coded it out on my Golf R 7.5 but I cant do it on the newer software they have used. Its crazy that you can not just turn it 'off' in the software, but as ever they are taking control away from the driver, instead you have to tap the accelerator every time a car is picked up, great in a perfectly working car, but the Octy Mk4 is far from a 'perfectly working' car!  

Yes you can disable it 😊

13 hours ago, Dave2318 said:

Yep, I still love the Octavia but what comes near to it!

The slow startup I can sometimes live with but it can take up to 5 minutes sat on the drive before I can access sat Nav to start my journey, which is just plain annoying, especially when it's also binging random errors whilst I'm sat there, then telling me not to sit with the engine idling!

If you do feel the need to sit on the drive for. A few minutes, just turn on the ignition and let the Nav system load and set the destination. Then start the engine.

Yea that was my initial thoughts, but if I do that then I end up getting lots of 12v battery low warnings, cause the battery only seems to last a few minutes. Yes I've already had this looked at and the battery replaced. Granted most of my journeys are around 15 minutes so the battery doesn't have a lot of time to charge as work isn't far from home, but is more than a reasonable walking distance. 

23 hours ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

Yes you can disable it 😊

How easy is it? I want Skoda to fix the issue, but if it can be done easily and they are not fixing it I may well look at that option.... I know of people who had tried and failed, wasn't aware of any success in turning it off...