Adaptive Cruise Control bug

Dave2318

• Sponsor
34 minutes ago, matrix2020 said:

How easy is it? I want Skoda to fix the issue, but if it can be done easily and they are not fixing it I may well look at that option.... I know of people who had tried and failed, wasn't aware of any success in turning it off...

It's one bit in long coding on module 13, just disable it

I'd have to check which Byte/bit

On 22/02/2022 at 10:08, roottoot said:

But Haymarket media group so Autocar / What Car, or Heycar / honest John are not going to say much.  Not with their contracts with VW on advertising or Heycars ownership by VW group and Daimler. 

Most media companies are dependent on the advertising revenue from car manufacturers, so they have to be "careful" in their criticism of cars on test.

CAR magazine used to be (no longer a subscriber so cannot comment on current situation) more concerned about accurate writing and have lost advertising contracts because of it.

• Like 2

Had a call from Skoda yesterday. They have a firmware update for ACC, sat Nav and all sorts of other issues expected to release this month... 

Now I wait for the recall.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave2318 said:

Had a call from Skoda yesterday. They have a firmware update for ACC, sat Nav and all sorts of other issues expected to release this month... 

Now I wait for the recall.

Although I wont be holding my breath, I will be very happy if it does come to be true!! Please keep us posted!! Is there light at the end of the tunnel???

Just now, matrix2020 said:

Although I wont be holding my breath, I will be very happy if it does come to be true!! Please keep us posted!! Is there light at the end of the tunnel???

There may be light at the end of the tunnel but is it a train coming towards us?

• Like 1

Mine is booked for it's service on the 25th, hoping the updates are out by then!  Think I've done something to my right knee by having to hover my foot above the accelerator all the time, just in case the ACC decides to stop me overtaking!

Hi,

My MK4 iV has been in for the past 2 days and they said that according to TPI 2065556/1 software version 1896 is being worked on but not ready for release yet. I'm currently on 1804. This big new software is supposed to fix everything.

John

Edited by weehappypixie
Forgot a 5 in the TPI

Had another call from Skoda today, still not released but still planning to release this month. I'll be getting another call next Wednesday for another update

I think Skoda Finance might be the difference. I have complained to Skoda UK, who phoned a number of times in Jan, and have agreed to financial 'compensation' when it is fixed. My dealer also started to keep my advised but soon forgot!! I will be asking them both again! Will be interesting if they reply.

Yea it's the guy from Skoda finance that is keeping me in the loop. Skoda UK said wait for the patch and no info about when it will be released. Only ones that have offered compensation is finance and only when resolved or if I give the car back.

Hi Dave im in your camp , VWFS told me hang on to the car till the fix is " manufactured" ( their words). and have £xxx as a goodwill. If however that fix doesnt come they will accept full return but allow me to stay in the car till i get another

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2022 at 09:48, Dave2318 said:

Hi all. I'll start by saying I'm on my 5th Octavia and this is the worst one I've ever had, it's been in the garage more than the others combined and I've not had it for a year yet!

I have a 2021 Octavia VRS. Had loads of software issues with it since day 1 and I've had enough! It's been into the garage about 6 or 7 times for firmware updates and I STILL get random errors when I start it up.

Anyway rant over. The latest problem is the Adaptive Cruise Control will randomly slam on the brakes when I'm overtaking a vehicle. Mainly happens on the motorway when overtaking very large vehicles (HGVs etc). And will slam on to prevent me overtaking!

This is very dangerous! Skoda have said they have known about the problem for over 9 months and are waiting on a other firmware fix for it! 

What the heck has happened to Skoda recently, it's like they've fired the QA department. This car is not ready for sale, DON'T buy one! Worst thing is I know someone who has taken delivery of an Audi recently and is experiencing the same type of issues!

I am in the exact same boat, been to the garage 8 times with various issues, but the my main bug is the breaking on cruise control. I use the motorway everyday and breaking in the outside lane while over taking is a serious danger to all behind. 
how Skoda can get away with this is beyond me. I have made a complaint with Skoda they offered me £500 for compensation, but I’m taking it further, to the ombudsman and will be claiming it’s unsafe to drive and therefore not fit to be on the road. I should have returned it in the first Month if I had known all these problems were going to be ongoing.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2022 at 13:00, Greezy56 said:

Hi Dave im in your camp , VWFS told me hang on to the car till the fix is " manufactured" ( their words). and have £xxx as a goodwill. If however that fix doesnt come they will accept full return but allow me to stay in the car till i get another

How long did they tell you to hang on? As I’m in the same boat, and getting in touch with the ombudsman to recoup my deposit and extra…… I’ve been waiting for over 3 months for updates and issues to be resolved. 

5 minutes ago, MarkRoper79 said:

How long did they tell you to hang on? As I’m in the same boat, and getting in touch with the ombudsman to recoup my deposit and extra…… I’ve been waiting for over 3 months for updates and issues to be resolved. 

Might be worth seeing if your dealer want to buy the car back off you first, mine have now offered me more than I paid for the bloody thing - but I can't accept as i only have one car and my replacement is queued to be built at the end of next month so i'm holding out at the moment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkRoper79 said:

They told me in December to hold on till 31st March 22. I have had no contact and the car was n the dealer at the start of the month with indicator failures. The tech said the car was showing 85 faults. So on the 31st i will write to VWFS and terminate. Keep the VRS till i get another lease arranged and delivered. Looking at the new Sportage hybrid , time to stop buying petrol and getting 28mpg. The VRS was mechanically enjoyable but not really affordable at £1.69 a litre

• Like 1

When I first started driving my car I had a couple of occasions where it wouldn’t overtake on ACC on the right but would on the left. After a couple of weeks it stopped and I’ve done several hundred miles with no issues. 

I’ve no idea if it was anything I did to help the issue, I didn’t get any updates as far as I know. 

The only thing I did do was register one key as mine and one as my wife’s key. I’ve no idea if using the same key all the time helps or not but it might be worth a try. 

If I remember what I did that changed the issue I’ll post back. 

The ACC is quite sensitive in use which can be slightly annoying until you adjust to it - I put the dashboard display on the “road” view which shows what the car is seeing and I always try and overtake nice and early to ensure the ACC doesn’t “see” the car in front and slow me down before I’ve pulled out. I’ve found having the distance set to a minimum helps a fair bit. 

Adding to that which @MiniNinjaRob mentioned, mine is working fine 99% of the time, and have noticed two scenarios when it doesn’t…

1. If trying to overtake on a long right-hand bend the car ‘sees’ the vehicle in the near side lane as being in front of me and slows down
  2. When there is no internet connection when starting the car. It seems to default to ‘driving on the right’. For example, a week or so ago, this happened when I’d parked in a deep narrow valley in the Lake District, no phone signal, no internet. Got on to the M6 within about 15 minutes and ACC was all awry. A further half hour on, it self-corrected and was fine for the next 100 miles to near Hamilton. Was perfect all the way back to Hampshire and ever since.

Both scenarios have some understandable logic to them but would be nice if it didn’t occur at all. Not saying these are the causes for every car that plays up, just sharing my experience & observations. The more I drive this car, the more I like it; and my sympathies with those whose cars are more troublesome than mine is.