Any issues with the Pano roof?

JS58

I'm looking at used Editions which all come with a Pano roof. Leaks are a common complaint in the Yeti section so what about in the Karoq?

Is it particularly noisy compared to a solid steel roof? 

I've been a fan of sunroofs for many years, and have never noticed them being noisier than steel roofs. Like any sunroof there can be leaks if the drainage tubes become blocked, but again I've never had any problems in any of my cars.

Chris

If they use the same/similar unit that's in the Touareg, they need regular cleaning & greasing of the tracks & seals or they won't open/close properly and the drainage tubes are/were prone to disconnecting leaving you with a nice interior shower 

Yes, I had to have one when I bought my Edition. Avoided them in 3 Yetis due to reported issues. One of my neighbours has a 6 year old Yeti with sunroof though which has not had any issues so far.

My Karoq sunroof does not create any noticeable wind noise when closed but I rarely open it as air con is better and quieter in use at speed. With the roof open noise is significant.

We bought a used 19 plate Edition 1.5 4 x 4 last November. No sunroof issues yet but then again it's only done 12k miles in total since new. I can't say if it's noisier than a tin roof or not because the radio is normally on loud enough to drown out any background noise. However, it definitely feels brighter & roomier inside (even with the shade drawn) than my larger Superb estate which has a tin roof.  We tend not to have the sunroof open when driving because it is quite noisy then & drowns out the tunes. It's the first car I've had with a sunroof since a MK1 Cavalier many years ago so it's a bit of a novelty for us. That said I don't think I would have paid for a sunroof as an option but as stated above Edition models got the sunroof as standard. TBH I would have preferred a heated front windscreen or DCC in place of the sunroof but when your buying 2nd hand you don't get to choose the spec.  

the only negative thing I can say about sunroofs is that they add weight to the car (to the worst place possible - at the top of the car) negatively affecting mileage and handling (to a certain degree)

Edited by Fux

On 19/03/2022 at 17:42, JS58 said:

Leaks are a common complaint in the Yeti section so what about in the Karoq?

I'm not sure about the exact date but I think my Karoq ( Nov 2019 ) must have been one of the first with the latest style drainage plugs.

The problem wasn't with the sunroofs themselves but with a poorly designed drainage plug - it caused problems in lots of VW Group vehicles. When my car went for it's 1st service ( Nov 2020 ) there was a recall notice to check the drainage plug. I was told that they inspected the plug on my car but it had the new plug already fitted.

I'm therefre guessing those Karoqs built after approx Sept 2019 will have the new plugs fitted - so no worries.

Is a glass roof noisier than steel? I'd have thought thin gauge steel would let more noise thru than thick glass but have no way of actually measuring it. If there was a difference I doubt it's noticable.

EDIT - it's obviously noisy when sunroof is opened but that's not helped by a mesh wind deflector? For the life of me I can't understand why they used mesh - all it does is lets air thru ( hence the noise ) and collect dead flies. That's my only complaint about the sunroofs - not sure why they didn't use a solid material.

Edited by kodiaqsportline