easiest way to change coolant?

hi guys

i am planning on changing the coolant in few weeks, last time it got changed was around 2 and half years ago by my previous mechanic. i had a quick look on some youtube and some people are taking their thermostat out.

question is, do i need to take the thermostat out or is there another way?

many thanks

If you splash out on the correct coolant it does not need changing for a least 5 years but most people buy the cheaper coolant but then wonder why the coolant pump fails and they land up with an even bigger bill, as said bottom hose off if you want to do a good job I would also remove thermostat/top hose get a hose pipe and flush the block rad and heater out as well, a bit meesy but worth doing in the long run

• Like 1

I'm wondering why these coolant pumps allegedly fail through using "cheaper coolant" can you please explain the failure mode?

• Like 1

Sorry guys i have never changed coolant or done a coolant flush  or a freezing point check  although colour seems always bright and strong  (12 years and 50000miles)  just topped off when needed and never had a problem am i just lucky or  what ?

Brake fluid was 1 changed 10 years ago but i always do a moisture check just to be on a safe side.

checked the service book no mention of flushing out every 5 years !!!

Might try and do the flush myself this summer :)

Ive  started change oil and oil filters(from above with a pump last few years ) , spark plugs etc  myself  and she  still running great  and ive had her from day 1 -cheapest maintenace car ive ever had :) !!!!!

Edited by john123
  • Like 1

My Octavia was scrapped after 17 years and 350000 miles still with the original coolant, every year it had a freezing point check and it had never changed neither had the colour, it was doing a good job of protecting the various metals so why would I change it?

I changed the brake fluid after 15 years, it was moisture checked every year and was still fine, new fluid made no difference to the pedal feel, what was bled out was not stained so I knew that the seals had not degraded nor was there any corrosion.

• Like 2

thank you guys

my coolant is still bright and no bits in it. i have used this special device ( cant remember what its called) and it says it is till good for minus 30. so not sure if mine actually needs doing now.

the brake cylinder was leaking few years ago and all the brake fluid leaked out so basically when i changed the cylinder in the rear drum brakes, i filled the brake fluid with new fluid so i guess that counts as changing brake fluid?

40 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

the brake cylinder was leaking few years ago and all the brake fluid leaked out so basically when i changed the cylinder in the rear drum brakes, i filled the brake fluid with new fluid so i guess that counts as changing brake fluid?

It certainly does.

...and you don't need to change your coolant unless it's become dilute through topping up with plain water.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sepulchrave said:

It certainly does.

...and you don't need to change your coolant unless it's become dilute through topping up with plain water.

from what i can remember, i have only topped it up very slightly twice from the time i have owned the car.

1 hour ago, froggy8 said:

thank you guys

my coolant is still bright and no bits in it. i have used this special device ( cant remember what its called) and it says it is till good for minus 30. so not sure if mine actually needs doing now.

It sounds like a refractometer which I have just bought thanks to a recommendation on this forum, it may have been Sepulchrave, for some strange reason its a very satisfying instrument to use, maybe because its old school and has no batteries or LED displays, whatever the reason I feel that I can trust it more than my electronic gadgets which would not work with the G whatever eco save the planet coolant that my vehicle should and will soon have after the temporary G whatever cheap stuff that is in there killing my waterpump as we speak 🤣

I can attest that the Silkat which causes so much grief when the teabag bursts does work, not that I have ever found mine so maybe it doesn't even have any, whatever through my memory loss and being seperated from the vehicle by covid restrictions while doing the write off repairs I ended up running it on tap water alone for 20 months, I dodged a bullet with freeze damage during winter 2019/20 and when I recently drained it to put in the temporary cheap G whatever mix the tap water came out clean enough to drink.

I am going to refill with the correct G whatever animal friendly stuff but only because it is the colour that would be expected but even tap water let alone distilled water has had no adverse affect nor but for the tales of gloom on the internet would I expect it to, its what I have been using for 45 years.

No doubt my water pump will fail on the 1000 mile round trip next week as punishment for my herecy!

Edited by J.R.

Living in the Southeast corner of the UK means very mild winters so as far as I'm concerned it's only the corrosion inhibitors I really need and since my coolant is still pink that'll do me, it really is possible to get too precious about this sort of thing, life is short and painful enough without fannying about with stuff that doesn't really need doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yep, a refractor is what it is called.

my coolant has definitely been flushed less than 5 years ago, i have still got a brand new tub of pink coolant whenever i want to do it then il be ready.

For other viewers that might be wondering about a refractometer and its use, a simple explanatory video. - 

• Like 1