1.5TSi MPG

tricky1138

2 hours ago, StEdmund said:

I've no idea about the operation of DSG, my car is a 2WD manual - and I am beginning to wonder if we are talking about the same thing.when we use the term 'mode'. I am talking about the button in the centre console that says 'MODE' - it gives me a choice of 4 'modes' - Eco, Normal, Sport and Individual. I have now fiddled about within the 'Individual' mode, arriving at:

Steering:  Sport

Drive:  Eco

Dyn. cornering light*:  Sport        [what is a dyn. cornering light?]

Aircon:  Eco

I'll see how I get on with that particular combination.

It seems people are talking about different things.

Just to add to the confusion - your car is a 2019MY?  It was either DEC 2019 or very early 2020 that the mode button you're talking about changed and later cars always reverts to Normal. Don't go blaming Skoda tho, it was actually due to EU legislation. The EU publish official environmental and fuel consumption for cars and in their wisdom, all manufacturers now have to start their cars in a 'default configuration' i.e.  where those published figures were taken from.

It's sounds like some made-up accusation against the EU by UKIP, but believe it or not, it's true !!!!   My Karoq ( registered Nov 19 ) is like your's - it retains the mode settings, but my Kodiaq which was purchased a year later, doesn't. I keep having to press the mode button three times whenever I drive the Kodiaq to set Individual mode.

hope that clears up any confusion.

Edited by kodiaqsportline

19 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

It was either DEC 2019 or very early 2020 that the mode button you're talking about changed and later cars always reverts to Normal.

I think it may have been earlier than that.  Our 190 TDI Karoq was registered on 31/10/19 and it reverts to Normal mode every time.

41 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

It seems people are talking about different things.

Just to add to the confusion - your car is a 2019MY?  It was either DEC 2019 or very early 2020 that the mode button you're talking about changed and later cars always reverts to Normal. Don't go blaming Skoda tho, it was actually due to EU legislation. The EU publish official environmental and fuel consumption for cars and in their wisdom, all manufacturers now have to start their cars in a 'default configuration' i.e.  where those published figures were taken from.

It's sounds like some made-up accusation against the EU by UKIP, but believe it or not, it's true !!!!   My Karoq ( registered Nov 19 ) is like your's - it retains the mode settings, but my Kodiaq which was purchased a year later, doesn't. I keep having to press the mode button three times whenever I drive the Kodiaq to set Individual mode.

hope that clears up any confusion.

I got the impression that we were talking about different things when someone mentioned "reverting to normal D mode'. I assume that 'D mode' is associated with gearboxes (Drive?).

My Karoq was first registered at the very end of September 2018 and I think it had been made earlier that month i.e. after the factory August break when the model year changed to MY19. Unless the car is telling fibs, it retains its mode settings between journeys. I am not at all surprised that the wretched EU had interfered with this - they did the same thing with our NEFF dishwasher that always reverts to the 3hr eco mode  when our normal requirement is for the 35min quick wash. Pah!

18 hours ago, StEdmund said:

I got the impression that we were talking about different things when someone mentioned "reverting to normal D mode'. I assume that 'D mode' is associated with gearboxes (Drive?).

Sorry for any confusion. I think we're talking about the same thing.

Normal driving mode - D

Eco mode - E

Sport mode - S

Individual mode

image.thumb.png.a2830338724cfe74d2a931de6389d31a.png

image.thumb.png.20bbf77fcbdaa00dbf4b72c7f690df5c.png

23 hours ago, StEdmund said:

I've no idea about the operation of DSG, my car is a 2WD manual - and I am beginning to wonder if we are talking about the same thing.when we use the term 'mode'. I am talking about the button in the centre console that says 'MODE' - it gives me a choice of 4 'modes' - Eco, Normal, Sport and Individual. I have now fiddled about within the 'Individual' mode, arriving at:

Steering:  Sport

Drive:  Eco

Dyn. cornering light*:  Sport        [what is a dyn. cornering light?]

Aircon:  Eco

I'll see how I get on with that particular combination.

Yes that’s what I change. It reverts on next start to normal default mode

On 30/03/2022 at 14:23, StEdmund said:

Mine sticks with whatever mode I left it in ........ or, at least, it tells me that it has. Is there a difference between manuals and autos?

The centre console screen shows the last mode used.    But... the little screen in the centre of the instrument panel shows what is really happening. I can have the main central satnav screen showing "Eco" and the instrument panel screen showing D1 D2 etc.   There was a lot of discussion about this in the early days. 

15 hours ago, Sanqhar said:

.............    But... the little screen in the centre of the instrument panel shows what is really happening.

I think that what is shown on the little screen in the centre of the instrument panes describes the gears. My Karoq has a manual gearbox, and that position on my car shows 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,  i.e. which gear the car is in. It appears to have no association with my selection from the centre console 'mode' button. I have never seen a 'D' or anything other than those 6 digits in that position.

6 hours ago, StEdmund said:

I think that what is shown on the little screen in the centre of the instrument panes describes the gears. My Karoq has a manual gearbox, and that position on my car shows 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,  i.e. which gear the car is in. It appears to have no association with my selection from the centre console 'mode' button. I have never seen a 'D' or anything other than those 6 digits in that position.

With my DSG Automatic gearbox the dashboard will show:

Normal driving mode: D1, D2, D3, etc

Eco mode: E1, E2, E3, etc

Sport mode: S1, S2, S3, etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, P-J said:

With my DSG Automatic gearbox the dashboard will show:

Normal driving mode: D1, D2, D3, etc

Eco mode: E1, E2, E3, etc

Sport mode: S1, S2, S3, etc.

And is always D after a restart from the button on the steering column (not after the car itself stops for stop/start) no matter what mode you set last time it was running.

12 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

And is always D after a restart from the button on the steering column (not after the car itself stops for stop/start) no matter what mode you set last time it was running.

Yes. Regardless of whatever mode (D/E/S) I was using last time I drove, the Karoq always reverts back to D the next time I start it up. As stated above, I'm led to believe that this is due to some EU legislation.

On 23/03/2022 at 23:31, tricky1138 said:

I'm looking at trading my Superb 280 in for a Karoq to try save some money on fuel. What sort of MPG are people getting?

Probably looking at the 1.5TSi

You will miss the power, performance & boot space of the 280.

Compared to my 280 I find my wife's 1.5 DSG Karoq quite sluggish (not surprising really) & the fuel consumption isn't that much better. We both do low local mileages these days so neither car gets great mpg which is why we are considering whether we need both cars now. The Karoq will get a long run over to France later in the year so I expect it's mpg to improve from 30-32 to near 40mpg. The best I've ever got out of the 280 was 35mpg on a long run, normally it's around 23-26mpg. 

Unless you're doing higher mileage I'd stick with the 280.   

On 07/04/2022 at 16:20, Routemaster1461 said:

Dorset to London and back yesterday. 48mpg going, 44 coming back

Hah - you think it would be the other way round, seeing as Dorset is downhill from London - must have been the headwind!

Going to Bristol from Epping Forest Friday around mid-day I got 50mpg from my lowly MY19 1.0 DSG, quite a lot of traffic but nothing really slowed me much except, 1 mile from home at the start, there was 10min queue up to a roundabout.  Coming back today starting 7.00am hardly any traffic all the way on the M4 & M25 moderate traffic, yet I only got 43mpg, my worst yet for that journey (best was 53mpg over a year ago in the same direction, but in summer).  The explanation - factors much discussed on this forum in the past - it was much colder this morning 0*C at the start.  Also much less traffic means much less suction from vehicles nearby - in front and to sides, so more air resistance.  No rain both trips. Maybe I was driving just a little faster consistently, as the roads were quieter too.  Coming back used to be more economical than going, due I suspected to prevailing wind, but I've noticed last few visits this has switched round, maybe prevailing winds have changed,,,, all to do with global warming possibly???

There was someone here, shyVRS245, with an early 1.5 manual who used to get over 60mpg on a commute and sometimes got near 65mpg, but not seen any messages from him recently.  I don't  think there's actually much difference between the 1.0 & a good running 1.5 as regards economy, due to the cylinder shut down facility in the latter.  My car, being a year or so later, has an exhaust particle 'filter', so would not anyway do as well + the DSG will be taking it's toll a little bit.  I tend to drive at the speed limit & set the ACC to 73mph on Motorways where allowed, which is actually near enough 70mph actual + occasional bursts of speed to get past a line of slower traffic.  The section of M4 nearer London has a 50mph limit, while it smartens itself up, so that helps economy too for the moment.

15 hours ago, croquemonsieur said:

I tend to drive at the speed limit & set the ACC to 73mph

I still havent made my mind up about whether Cruise Control is more or less economical than driving normally.

My simplistic view is that CC cannot anticipate road conditions.

For example when climbing a hill it will keep piling on the fuel until it reaches the top. I on the other hand can see the crest coming and can lift off slightly ahead of time and allow momentum to carry me over to top.

We drive dlown to mid France quite often, and over the years have driven the same 5hr journey in a diesel DSG Octy (with ACC) and a petrol 1.5Tsi Octy with standard CC. Best MPG was in the diesel (unsurprisingly) without CC, mind you my right foot ached like hell at the end...

In June we will be taking the Karoq for its first foray, I do have my concerns that we will need to refuel before we get there!

1 hour ago, vegit8 said:

I still havent made my mind up about whether Cruise Control is more or less economical than driving normally.

My simplistic view is that CC cannot anticipate road conditions.

For example when climbing a hill it will keep piling on the fuel until it reaches the top. I on the other hand can see the crest coming and can lift off slightly ahead of time and allow momentum to carry me over to top.

We drive dlown to mid France quite often, and over the years have driven the same 5hr journey in a diesel DSG Octy (with ACC) and a petrol 1.5Tsi Octy with standard CC. Best MPG was in the diesel (unsurprisingly) without CC, mind you my right foot ached like hell at the end...

In June we will be taking the Karoq for its first foray, I do have my concerns that we will need to refuel before we get there!

Just keep in mind the cruise control is only interested in maintaining the set speed, nothing else. 

tom

Yes, ACC & even simple CC keeps the car going at the set speed on uphills.  I have in the past compensated for dips & uphills gradually using the 1mph increment lever switching facility to speed up a bit on the downhill bit & then gradually easing off 1mph at a time is the car climbs up again - didn't do that this time.  I wouldn't be without ACC though despite its foibles.  I tend to get cramp otherwise in my right leg trying to keep the foot steady on the throttle all the time.  I only use the throttle pedal very occasionally on the M4 part of the journey now, using ACC, unless there's really lots of traffic - terrific.  It must be even better in LH drive cars, as there's a proper foot rest on the RHS then.

Yes but it is a so much more relaxing to drive with cruise engaged. I use it virtually all the time if road is reasonably clear to maintain an exact speed at the speed limit. (Allowing for speedo error and police allowance of slightly over- calibrated using a speed app on my phone. A true 70 is about 73 on dash so an indicated 75 or so is safe to do and is faster than most traffic) I find it quite hard to maintain a constant speed manually and you constantly need to look at the speedo.

Worth any extra fuel used.

Edited by kenfowler3966

• 3 weeks later...

Last week - Weston-super-Mare to Liverpool - 48.5 mpg and yesterday - Liverpool to Weston-super-Mare - - 231 miles - 49.1 mpg - 1.5 TSI - used CC a lot set at 73 / 74 - due to having just attended a speed awareness course 🙂 These are the best figures that I have achieved with the car since I bought it

On 07/04/2022 at 13:33, Colin170CR said:

You will miss the power, performance & boot space of the 280.

Compared to my 280 I find my wife's 1.5 DSG Karoq quite sluggish (not surprising really) & the fuel consumption isn't that much better. We both do low local mileages these days so neither car gets great mpg which is why we are considering whether we need both cars now. The Karoq will get a long run over to France later in the year so I expect it's mpg to improve from 30-32 to near 40mpg. The best I've ever got out of the 280 was 35mpg on a long run, normally it's around 23-26mpg. 

Unless you're doing higher mileage I'd stick with the 280.   

So thought I'd update this, sorry havent been getting notifications.

Made the decision to change and have now sold the 280 and bought a 1.5 SEL Karoq manual.

Yes I totally miss the power and space in the Superb, but love the high up seat position (used to drive a land rover and always liked that!) Only the other day I tried to fit my mountain bike in an realised just how much smaller the boot was. Oh well cant have everything.

I did some MPG tests in the week before getting rid of the Superb and on my normal commute to work I was getting 26mpg on the way there and 24mpg on the way back. A run to pick my daughter up from her mothers, gave me 30mpg.

I did the same runs in the Karoq (yes I know there are variables etc) and got 43mpg on the way to work and 38mpg on the way back. Daughter pickup is 49mpg.

So definitely more economical to run. And tax and insurance is cheaper too so win win for that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting MJ1.  How many miles had you done by the end of 2021, or if not recorded, how many by today?  Is your's a MY219 model and so with a particle 'filter' in the exhaust, like mine?  47.5mpg overall for Sep 2021 is amazingly good, particularly as it's a DSG - was that all longish journeys.  I must try harder with my 1.0 DSG.  I haven't done much checking of overall figures, but in the earlyish days was getting 43mpg spread over 2-3 months.  I doubt it's been doing any better this year so far, with fewer longish journeys and the change to 10 RON petrol.

On 12/05/2022 at 20:50, croquemonsieur said:

Interesting MJ1.  How many miles had you done by the end of 2021, or if not recorded, how many by today?  Is your's a MY219 model and so with a particle 'filter' in the exhaust, like mine?  47.5mpg overall for Sep 2021 is amazingly good, particularly as it's a DSG - was that all longish journeys.  I must try harder with my 1.0 DSG.  I haven't done much checking of overall figures, but in the earlyish days was getting 43mpg spread over 2-3 months.  I doubt it's been doing any better this year so far, with fewer longish journeys and the change to 10 RON petrol.

Sorry  only just seen this.

Last refuel on the 11th May odo was 40,489. 11th January was 38,193 miles.

The car was bought in August 2018 brand new. I did not start recording fuel in app until the 18th November 2018.

OK had to log onto my PC and get this bloody chart loaded that might be of help in answering your questions?

And now I have a proper keyboard a bit more detail I tend to do a long run from Banbury down to WSM via motorways M40, M42 and M5 I do it on cruise and set it to 65mph which is fast enough to keep ahead of trucks but slow enough to keep me in inside lane away from the bumper touching idoicy on the outside lane...

On that run I can get over 50 MPG especially with a clear motorway and good weather, so that will account for the decent average. It also helps that I don't work anymore and can travel off peak for those trips.

The local runs which I do most days only get 32 MPG poor weather or 42+ MPG if warmish...

For me the stress levels at driving 65MPH on motorway are so much reduced that it is a revelation what driving a bit slower means, adaptive cruise control helps too ....

MyFuelLog2 - Karoq MPG - Mi per day.png

Edited by MJ1
Still trying to add picture