VRS sound generator - what cost, and what would have been a better alternative?

Just for fun really. My car came with the pointless 'sound generator' fitted, and I disconnected the thing immediately. 

Which lead to me thinking, I know that manufacturers build new cars down to a budget for each and every component, costing it all to the penny. I've often wondered who thought it would be a good idea at VAG to sign-off on the cost of this item, rather than spending the money elsewhere in the car. Especially one built down to a budget, like our Skodas.

So, if it had been you signing off the budget for this car, and you thought, like me, that the generator was pointless, what would you have spent the money on instead? I have no idea what the unit cost of these would be - ten, fifteen pounds maybe? Someone will probably know. What would that have bought instead that would have benefitted the car more? Full-size spare wheel? More sound-deadening? Under-bonnet insulation? Gas bonnet struts? What?

I'd be interested to hear what other people think! Cheers and stay safe people :D 

Am I the only one that enjoys the sound generator?

It's a bit of fun, and easy to turn off, so why disconnect it?

The first ever cars to have these fitted were the BMW M5 in 2011, because the sound of the engine was too quiet; and they've continued to fit them ever since.

Whilst Porsche started fitting them to their cars in 2012. So why not have them in our Skodas!

Edited by Noms

It sounds utter crap. That’s why. It’s an accessory that falls into the same tragic category as people adding badges to their cars to make their own spec name. 

Id have rather a better sounding exhaust. Even the OEM from the Golf GTI would have been great. 

5 hours ago, Noms said:

Am I the only one that enjoys the sound generator?

Apparently, yes.

For myself, I'm saying I want a car to be as cheap, light and quiet as possible. An engine synthesisor increases cost, mass and noise.

These sound actuators are in use across all VAG cars, including the Golf GTi & Golf R, Audi's and Seat.

Remember guys, all it takes is the press of a button to turn it off, just like most things.

I absolutely detest the Start/Stop, so it's the first thing I press when I start the car. I admit, it's a little annoying having to do this every time, but it's a choice that I make.

I also prefer to drive without ASR, so once again, I press the button.

Likewise, if you don't like the sound, just press the button.

When I'm re-enacting a car chase scene, I turn the sound off too; I much prefer to listen to the flow of the engine through the Induction kit and the sound of the turbo; always puts a smile on my face.

Edited by Noms
  • Like 1

More less, majority of sport trimmed cars have sound actuator. BMW m240i has it. Even it has nice and loud sound outside coming from straight six, in the cabin needs a little help. 

Difficult compromise. Most of us need normal and quiet car for normal commuting, and sporty car from time to time. Yes, I have been driving in RS with loud aftermarket, but I couldn’t bear it every kilometer. Manufacturer has to make peace with every challenge, and this is impossible in this segment with expensive and complicated exhaust. 

• Like 1

I'm in the rare group that likes the sound actuator. I've always been one to enjoy a good engine sound without creating a stir to anyone outside of the car. Yep, a good feature that should stay because it is easily switched off and can be defaulted to being off, as opposed to the Auto Start/Stop feature that I always want to be off but cannot default it to the Off setting.

• Like 2

Better alternative? An uprated exhaust from the start maybe?
Mind you, there comes a point where the loud sound is presumably just wasted energy so I would rather the engine's efforts are concentrated in more power and fuel efficiency even if it came at  the cost of the engine sounding rubbish, but that is my opinion 🤣

4 hours ago, hhcd80 said:

Better alternative? An uprated exhaust from the start maybe?
Mind you, there comes a point where the loud sound is presumably just wasted energy so I would rather the engine's efforts are concentrated in more power and fuel efficiency even if it came at  the cost of the engine sounding rubbish, but that is my opinion 🤣

I’m not convinced that there is any “wasted” energy from having the sound actuator on, because if there were, it would reflect in reduced performance. With it on, I was able to get from 0-100km/h in 6 seconds flat, faster than what it says on its spec sheet, so t can’t be taking much away from the car…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SkodaAsh said:

I’m not convinced that there is any “wasted” energy from having the sound actuator on, because if there were, it would reflect in reduced performance. With it on, I was able to get from 0-100km/h in 6 seconds flat, faster than what it says on its spec sheet, so t can’t be taking much away from the car…

Sorry I should've been more clear. I meant "wasted" energy from an actual exhaust system engineered to make some decent noise as an alternative to the actuator. Even then I guess there isn't much energy expended but like I said I tend not to be too bothered about the sound of the engine as I would be more likely to be listening to music, podcasts or the radio.

6 minutes ago, hhcd80 said:

Sorry I should've been more clear. I meant "wasted" energy from an actual exhaust system engineered to make some decent noise as an alternative to the actuator. Even then I guess there isn't much energy expended but like I said I tend not to be too bothered about the sound of the engine as I would be more likely to be listening to music, podcasts or the radio.

Ah yes. That makes sense. If they’re going to make an actuator, then make it worthwhile by having a better sound. Yep, can’t fault that request!

Interesting question, it's not wasted energy having "more" noise from exhaust... as the exhaust system baffles the sound (absorb to dissipate at heat energy) so it's there anyway. If you like the sound, technically less energy is wasted as sound because it's useful to you, rather than wasted as heat in the surroundings....

Edit: whereas the "sound device" wastes energy as it requires extra electrical energy to produce the sound, on top of that wasted by baffling the exhaust.

Edited by lpt100
  • Like 1