Octavia II 4X4 under floor Boot Space

23 hours ago, ChunHall said:

I haven't asked yet.

I'm hoping that they have to pay to get rid of it 🤞

But even if someone else collects for free/pays for it, I'll still be buying for pennies per litre instead of £s 🤷‍♂️

Worst case, there's another 4 chipshops in town, and the retail park with McDonalds is next door to me too! 🤣🤣

I have a few things to tidy up on the other car before it's sold, so I could be a few weeks off buying the vegmobile, let alone getting any work done to it.  I've got plenty of time to search for vegan juice.

After you have spent the money and time doing all the conversion work you will get a nice surprise to find that there are a couple of hundred people before you in the queue for used oil at each chip shop & that Macdonalds have the recycling sorted as part of their business model.

Seriously do you really think that many others going back several years will not have had the same idea as you?

23 minutes ago, J.R. said:

After you have spent the money and time doing all the conversion work you will get a nice surprise to find that there are a couple of hundred people before you in the queue for used oil at each chip shop & that Macdonalds have the recycling sorted as part of their business model.

Seriously do you really think that many others going back several years will not have had the same idea as you?

Yeah, you're right. It'll be completely impossible to find out how local restaurants and takeaways dispose of waste veg oil before I first spend thousands on a project that relies on it.

If only there were a way I could find out this information first. Maybe the whole idea is too ridiculous to consider, since it would be impossible for me to find this out.

Not that complicated really, It is usual to be a regular customer, friend or relative when looking for freebies or favours.  

But all it needs is to hold a conversation with an actual person who buys and sells the oil.  

?

How are prices going at supermarkets or cash and carry's for vegetable oil as there is a growing shortage globally?

26 minutes ago, ChunHall said:

Yeah, you're right. It'll be completely impossible to find out how local restaurants and takeaways dispose of waste veg oil before I first spend thousands on a project that relies on it.

If only there were a way I could find out this information first. Maybe the whole idea is too ridiculous to consider, since it would be impossible for me to find this out.

Well from your postings you have spent a considerable amount of time designing and planning a very admirable operating system but have yet to find a source of waste oil other than living close to a chip shop.

1 hour ago, roottoot said:

all it needs is to hold a conversation with an actual person who buys and sells the oil.  

I might have been a bit facetious in my last comment 😅

I haven't checked prices of vegetable oil - it's not something I buty much of. Wholesale, I'd guess it's probably doubled in the last year like most other foodstuff.🙄

58 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Well from your postings you have spent a considerable amount of time designing and planning a very admirable operating system but have yet to find a source of waste oil other than living close to a chip shop.

A few hours reading online and a couple of YouTube videos isn't much hardship to be fair. 🤷‍♂️

The only money I've spent so far was to get the other car through its MOT ready to be sold 👍

The chip shops normally return used oil via an arrangement with their supplier. Other establishments normally have to pay for the collection, so theres a chance there.

To be fair, I've not really heard of anyone running on it in at least 5 years, so you've got a fair chance of finding a source of oil.

The other one I used to do was filter and separate the water from waste engine oil and throw a bit of that in the tank with the veg oil.

• Like 1

@StevesTruck You must be aware how many commercial vehicles including those that collect waste are running on Bio produced from waste oil.

This is why you do not here of so many private users of WVO that they are processing themselves. 

There are people obviously still doing it, they are just not shouting about it any more. 

There are Supermarkets now limiting how much Vegetable Oil a customer can purchase at any onetime.

They can not stop people going in multiple times though, but as Sunflower Oil goes short and there is the need for Rape Seed oil to be used more that is going to be in short supply and the prices are rising. 

Edited by roottoot

My suggestion to anyone looking to run WVO / Bio is before converting a vehicle.

Spend the money to set up your Waste Oil processing having got a source of used oil, and when you are producing then you have something you can share with others and they can bring you waste oil.

Then you are ready to start running your own vehicle on waste oil  / bio and you know how how much work is involved in collection and processing and if it is worth the effort for the miles you drive usually and that you do just collecting oil. 

• Like 1