Mib3 map update

Hi

Has anyone managed to manually update an Mib3 system yet, I have a 2020 year UK Kodiaq but the update does not seem to work yet.

I thought I read there was a software update to allow manual map updates but does not look like it has happened.

I have not subscribed to the Skoda connect services since they expired so wondered if I need to to get any updated.

The maps in my car have updated regularly by themselves, but you need to be subscribed to the Skoda Connect Infotainment Online service for it to work.

(I know others have reported problems in getting the updates even when they have a valid subscription, but as I say my car has been OK.)

I never got the manual update to work either, when I tried it - which was one of the reasons I renewed my subscriptions when they were being offered at a reduced price.)

Chris

PS: I was on version 22.1 when I last checked (in March 2022).

Edited by CJJE

tryout this offline update file

Škoda portal:   https://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/OI_P73_EU_202222_Offline_Update.zip

Files inside:    2021.11.30
Downloadable:    2022.05.16
Publicated:    2022.05.??

# previous Škoda
#
# OI_P41_EU_202025_Offline_Update.zip
# OI_P53_EU_??????
# OI_P65_EU_202125_Offline_Update.zip
# OI_P73_EU_202222_Offline_Update.zip
#

i can't  guess new VW's and Seat from they previous

# previous VW
#
# EUR_4PR031_FCT3WS-19144_Offline_Update.tar
# EUR_5PR041_FCT3WS-201F0_Offline_Update_USBfix2.tar
# EUR_6PR053_FCT3WS-201H0_Offline_Update.tar
# EUR_7PR065_FCT3WS-21109_Offline_Update.tar
# EUR_8PR073_FCT3WS-?????
#

45 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

tryout this offline update file

Škoda portal:   https://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/OI_P73_EU_202222_Offline_Update.zip

Files inside:    2021.11.30
Downloadable:    2022.05.16
Publicated:    2022.05.??

# previous Škoda
#
# OI_P41_EU_202025_Offline_Update.zip
# OI_P53_EU_??????
# OI_P65_EU_202125_Offline_Update.zip
# OI_P73_EU_202222_Offline_Update.zip
#

i can't  guess new VW's and Seat from they previous

# previous VW
#
# EUR_4PR031_FCT3WS-19144_Offline_Update.tar
# EUR_5PR041_FCT3WS-201F0_Offline_Update_USBfix2.tar
# EUR_6PR053_FCT3WS-201H0_Offline_Update.tar
# EUR_7PR065_FCT3WS-21109_Offline_Update.tar
# EUR_8PR073_FCT3WS-?????
#

I have tried but the car will just not see any update files when I try.

No matter what I try or how long the usb stick is left fitted, it does not want to update.

Looks like it is still just OTA updates for my car, may have to re-subscribe to the Skoda connect services if I want updates.

18 hours ago, CJJE said:

The maps in my car have updated regularly by themselves, but you need to be subscribed to the Skoda Connect Infotainment Online service for it to work.

(I know others have reported problems in getting the updates even when they have a valid subscription, but as I say my car has been OK.)

I never got the manual update to work either, when I tried it - which was one of the reasons I renewed my subscriptions when they were being offered at a reduced price.)

Chris

PS: I was on version 22.1 when I last checked (in March 2022).

Update: on checking today, the maps have been updated to version 22.3.

Chris

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

on checking today, the maps have been updated to version 22.3.

somewhere i read, Mib3 hasn't progress bar during update

3 hours ago, MartiniB said:

somewhere i read, Mib3 hasn't progress bar during update

Correct. When the maps are updated there's no indication at all that it's happening - you just find that the roads and POIs are up to date. But seeing I'm now on 22.3 presumably explains why I'm suddenly seeing EV Charge Point POIs!!

The updates for the car's system software invite you to start the update, and warn that it will only install when you're stationary and the ignition is turned on. This can take several days if you're a rural driver who isn't sitting in traffic jams very often! But the only indication you see is when you pull down the Notifications tab and realise the installation has been completed. ((The 1 in a circle at the top of the info screen also disappears.) Note these are only minor bug updates and changes to the shop app, etc not the major software update that you can see in the system info screen - mine is 0276 now but this had to be downloaded and installed by my dealer from the Skoda servers.

Chris

17 hours ago, CJJE said:

Update: on checking today, the maps have been updated to version 22.3.

Chris

Mine is 22.1 and the main software is 0276.

I had the map uodate files plugged into the car for a good 2 hour drive the other day but at no point did it seem to do anything.

like i said, guess my car is still only OTA updates.

On 21/05/2022 at 10:12, Billywizzo said:

Mine is 22.1 and the main software is 0276.

I had the map uodate files plugged into the car for a good 2 hour drive the other day but at no point did it seem to do anything.

like i said, guess my car is still only OTA updates.

If you aren't subscribed to the Skoda Connect services, do you still get warnings of roadworks, road closures and traffic delays on the map? I'd really miss them if they are reliant on the Connect licences! 

Chris

47 minutes ago, CJJE said:

If you aren't subscribed to the Skoda Connect services, do you still get warnings of roadworks, road closures and traffic delays on the map? I'd really miss them if they are reliant on the Connect licences! 

Chris

No we don't get any warnings on the map.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Is there any option to update maps offline for Superb 2020? I have downloaded maps on USB Type C flash, plug in on the front side, but cannot find any option on the Navigation or Settings to update offline. Also, there is no option to update while holding the Menu button and enter the hidden menu.

You just plug it into the front USB C port and leave it a while.

If you check the map versions they'll have updated after an hour or so worth of driving.  Apparently it auto resumes when you stop.

Oh, so there is no progress bar for upload? That is a crap :(. So, no need to click anywhere, just plug USB Type C, get into the Navigation and leave to do the job?

• 1 month later...
On 19/05/2022 at 14:08, Billywizzo said:

Hi

Has anyone managed to manually update an Mib3 system yet, I have a 2020 year UK Kodiaq but the update does not seem to work yet.

I thought I read there was a software update to allow manual map updates but does not look like it has happened.

I have not subscribed to the Skoda connect services since they expired so wondered if I need to to get any updated.

Although it's sometime since the post was made, returning to the original question might help someone.

It was a MIB3 system and the year according to the OP's profile was 2020 - just like mine. I too did not renew my Skoda connect subscription after the 1st year, but you don't need to pay to have a Connect account - payment is only to obtain certain features.

Despite best efforts, I too could not manually update maps. on MIB3 From what I read on Briskoda only those in Russia claimed they could update maps manually on a MIB3 system, I didn't see anyone else who was successful.

There are two systems being discussed in the above replies which may confuse some folk. First is manual updates which you download yourself ( on to usb stick via a portal ) and the other is over-the-air updates.  For us who have not paid for Skoda connect services, these OTA updates are for system software only. If you look at the summary of what the update involves, mapping is never mentioned.

After about 18mths from new, the navigation on my MIB3 system went a little screwy. I reported the problem to my dealer who advised a software update was available. This updated had to be done at the dealer. It was done under warranty and takes 5-6 hrs to complete. ( a day and a half in my case as it didn;t update correctly 1st time round ). When I received my car post dealer update, I followed the exact same procedure as I'd done previous - downloaded the latest map update onto USB from the Skoda portal, As others have said there was no indication about how the update was progressing or when it completed, but all I did was plug in the memory stick, left it in there for a few days, and after a few hundred miles, checked the software version and noticed it had now updated - exactly the same process as I use on my 2019 MIB2 system just that it's now on a USB stick rather than a memory card.

So the answer is....   If you can't manually update via the Skoda portal on an MIB3 system, contact your dealer and ask them if the system software needs updating. Skoda know about this problem.

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 3

It's the latest downoad from the Skoda portal - valid since week commencing 25/2022

I also read of people complainting of missing radio station logos. That's available to download too but I haven't tried that.  (  nor will I  - any blank logos have the name of the radio station below it so it's not as if people don;t know what station is available ). 

Edited by kodiaqsportline

When I complained to Skoda UK about missing radio logos, and that I couldn't add my own with MIB3 like I used to be able to do, I was told that it was down to a licensing issue. (The file of radio logos on the update website still had many national radio stations missing - like Classic FM, Smooth etc.) So it would seem that MIB3 radios can't pick the logo up from the broadcast signal, and Skoda wouldn't pay to provide the logo itself. 

Now that explanation does seem a bit nonsensical to me as I'd have thought the radio stations would want their logo being displayed to advertise what you were listening to, but I still have gaps on my presets as a result. And I agree that you can still identify the presets, but they do look a bit odd with a mix of logos and names. I've even considered turning off all the logos just to make them consistent! 

Chris

• 1 year later...

I realise this is a long time after the original post, but having finally got the maps on my 2021 Octavia mk IV updated manually, I thought I'd share the process. My SatNav system is Columbus MIB3. For context...

The Skoda salesman who sold me the car told me I could update maps manually, but I'd tried following the instructions on the Skoda update portal and got nowhere. I'd downloaded the maps (Central Europe) onto a 64gb USB c stick and inserted it into one of the ports by the gear stick. I left it in the car for several days, and nothing happened. The car was due to have some warranty work done, so I thought I'd take the USB stick and get the garage to upload the maps for me. When I collected the car, the service reception told me I needed a subscription, based on what their 'master technician' had told them. I made the point that I'd been given different information from the salesman, who just happened to be passing. He re-iterated that I did not require a subscription, took my USB stick, and returned 5 minutes later saying "All done!". So I asked him how he did it, and subsequently played with the system to see if I could do the same myself.

Step 1 - press and hold the menu button until you get the page showing "software/update".

Step 2 - Select option "software/update"

Step 3 - press "start update". Wait a few seconds, while the screen goes blank, and then enters "engineering" screen.

Step 4 - select "update", then select which USB port to take data from.

This should trigger the start of uploading of new maps data. The file is about 28gb (Central Europe), but 64gb drive recommended. I'm not sure how long the process took, the salesman said it should be completed by the time I got home - about 40 minutes. My maps version has gone from 20/07 to 22/12 which is supposed to be 2023/2024 maps, so it was indeed completed pretty quickly. It helps if you have a high speed USB stick, which reduces the data transfer time significantly.

Hope this helps...

• Thanks 1

Beware of Macs messing up the process. That's where you use cleanmydrive app as per mib2 high. Macs put additional characters in that cause the signature check to fail. There is a VAG Mib3 map update document if you are doing it offline.

You register on the VW site with an email to get access to the map updates.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/myvolkswagen/navigation-map-update.html?---={"myvolkswagen_navigation-map-update_featureappsection":"/?{\"selectedCarId\":\"tiguanFrom2021\",\"selectedNaviId\":\"mib3OiHigh\"}"}

Attached file in the VW how too.

discoverProGen3-en-202045.pdf

On 07/09/2022 at 18:50, CJJE said:

When I complained to Skoda UK about missing radio logos, and that I couldn't add my own with MIB3 like I used to be able to do, I was told that it was down to a licensing issue. (The file of radio logos on the update website still had many national radio stations missing - like Classic FM, Smooth etc.) So it would seem that MIB3 radios can't pick the logo up from the broadcast signal, and Skoda wouldn't pay to provide the logo itself. 

Now that explanation does seem a bit nonsensical to me as I'd have thought the radio stations would want their logo being displayed to advertise what you were listening to, but I still have gaps on my presets as a result. And I agree that you can still identify the presets, but they do look a bit odd with a mix of logos and names. I've even considered turning off all the logos just to make them consistent! 

Chris

Another theory I've seen posted on this is that the exploit to get access to the infotainment system via adding additional code to the backend of POI updates as per MIB2 high was deleted that took out the logo import. Early documentation of mib3 shows both logo import and user POIs in the design process, they got dropped, although it is in the PDFs. The radio logos are transmitted, the missing stations aren't transmitting those, so you use to back fill with MIB2... which obviously you can't since it's mib3 and no import menu. Buck passing. I tend to think it was the security concerns why the logo import was dropped.

On 04/11/2023 at 18:05, Rad1sh said:

Step 1 - press and hold the menu button until you get the page showing "software/update".

Step 2 - Select option "software/update"

Step 3 - press "start update". Wait a few seconds, while the screen goes blank, and then enters "engineering" screen.

Step 4 - select "update", then select which USB port to take data from.

Hello @Rad1sh,

I've just tried the above procedure, BUT it did NOT work for me: MIB 3 SW:1941. I've been able to access the Engineering Menu (been there done that before), but both USB slots(USB1 and USB2) are gray out. I'm using an 64GB USB-C stick formatted as ext-FAT.

Can you provide more details?

Thank you

Edited by djmartzian

2 hours ago, djmartzian said:

Hello @Rad1sh,

I've just tried the above procedure, BUT it did NOT work for me: MIB 3 SW:1941. I've been able to access the Engineering Menu (been there done that before), but both USB slots(USB1 and USB2) are gray out. I'm using an 64GB USB-C stick formatted as ext-FAT.

Can you provide more details?

Thank you

I'm sorry it's not worked for you. I've just gone in again with the same USB stick and both my USB slots are also greyed out like yours. I'm guessing in my case it is because the data on the USB stick has already been used, although I can't be certain. Did you download the map files using a MAC or Windows computer? Apparently it doesn't work with a MAC. I'm afraid I don't have any more suggestions for you, all I can say is the process worked for me. Perhaps speak to Skoda? When next maps are made available, I will try again, and post on here the results. Good luck!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rad1sh said:

I'm sorry it's not worked for you. I've just gone in again with the same USB stick and both my USB slots are also greyed out like yours. I'm guessing in my case it is because the data on the USB stick has already been used, although I can't be certain. Did you download the map files using a MAC or Windows computer? Apparently it doesn't work with a MAC. I'm afraid I don't have any more suggestions for you, all I can say is the process worked for me. Perhaps speak to Skoda? When next maps are made available, I will try again, and post on here the results. Good luck!

I'm wondering whether they unlocked the developer's menu.

This thread touches on it but doesn't say more... someone saw a video:

https://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/18949/mib3

In mib2 the developers menu is locked down, you unlock it. Whether there is an enhanced level of unlocking which they did for you.

Either way, it does take the updates. Your menu just kick-starts it off quicker. My understanding. Needs further research. It could be it isnt finding a valid update ?. That would be the MAC business and Cleanmydrive.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rad1sh said:

Hello @Rad1sh,
I don't know if you are aware but Skoda already released a new version of the maps (November 2023).  You can check by VIN number here: https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB/Updates/TMBAJ7NX5MY023717
I'm using Windows 10 to download and to prepare the USB stick. In the past, I used to just insert the stick in one of the front USB ports, leave it there in a long trip (more than 1h), put the car into sleep, then check the new map version in Infotainment system.  I also remind you than I don't have an active Subscription for the Sat Nav, basicaly my system is Bolero, same HW and SW spec as Columbus, both MIB3 units.

Can you please check if the the update procedure proposed by your dealer is still working for you with the latest version?

Thank you