Soundproofing?

Hi all. I've got a '22 Superb iV estate. By and large, it's a lovely car but it is a bit noisy. I suppose the larger wheels (not my choice) aren't helping with road noise. I've been looking at getting some Dynamat soundproofing installed in the car but I've struggled to find anyone in North West England willing to even quote for the work. I'll hold my hands up and say I consider topping up the screenwash to be a decent achievement so I really don't believe I can do this myself.

So - two questions: has anyone done soundproofing and can report on what difference it has made? And does anyone know of a company in the North West that does car soundproofing?

Thanks,

Carlo

• Like 1

Ah, thanks. Lots to go through there and confirms my view that I'd really want a professional to do this rather than attempt to bodge it in myself.

• Like 1

A grand, which seems a bit steep, and a 2 hour drive away so waiting to hear back if there are any other locations. Also gotten a bit wary of what this will do the warranty ... 😞

To be honest you could do a decent job yourself it's time consuming.

I've lay 2mm sound deadening in the boot area and beneath the rear seats, that made a difference.  So now I'm going to the rear doors and put 4 or 6 mm closed cell foam on top of that.

The front doors are the trickiest.  Ideally would like to take out of the wheel arches and cover them aswell.

• Love it! 1

I've put sound deadening material in the boot floor, boot sides, inside each wheel arch, and under the rear seat bench.

Has made a noticeable difference.

Haven't done the doors.

Thanks, good to know. Surprised by the lack of garages and body shops that offer to do this, at least in the UK. Obviously, everyone is a lot braver than I am at tackling this stuff.

Why would they give themselves the grief when they have more than enough much more profitable and value added work from accident damage?

It’s a long drive, but Huets  in Shoreham did a great job of sound deadening a Leon I used to own. They’ve done quite a few things for me and their work is top notch. 

Oxford car audio maybe another options as Im sure they are associated with the Sound Deadening shop/ CAD Distribution who are the main people for Silent coat sound deadening.

Had another quote. This time £2k and they'd need the car for 3 days!

Beginning to regret venturing down this rabbit hole.

The 3 easiest DIY jobs luckily show the biggest improvement:

1 is easy, 10 is very hard.

Boot floor - 1/10 - Dynamat and closed cell

Under rear seat - 1/10 - Dynamat and closedcell

B Pillar - 3/10 - Closed cell

Wheel arches, inside doors are all harder and give fewer gains.

Keep in mind of the biggest gains for reducing road noise are lower dB rated tires. 

• Love it! 1

Already replaced all of the tyres. Ditched the Bridgestone Potenza for Michelin CrossClimate 2 - they seemed to have good reviews and be commended for being quiet.

I got the car nearly new from the dealer - month old and just over 1000 miles. I'm a spec nutter and like virtually every option box ticked (except large wheels and sunroof) which seriously limits availability when you don't want to wait 9 months for a new one. Unfortunately, they'd already spec'd the 19" wheel "upgrades." 😞

I get more wind noise than tyre noise, and I have 19s.

The 19s with DCC and 245/40/19 tyres r far far from noisy.

My Octavia RS on 18s had more tyre noise!!

The wind noise has been annoying me now cause everything else is quiet.

Then again, I'm sure the wind deflectors, wing mirrors and mud flaps r all adding to the equation.

On 07/06/2022 at 09:24, JR RS said:

I get more wind noise than tyre noise, and I have 19s.

The 19s with DCC and 245/40/19 tyres r far far from noisy.

My Octavia RS on 18s had more tyre noise!!

The wind noise has been annoying me now cause everything else is quiet.

Then again, I'm sure the wind deflectors, wing mirrors and mud flaps r all adding to the equation.

Retrofitting acoustic glazing is an option. Night and day difference between my Superb without and Kodiaq with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Retrofitting acoustic glazing is an option. Night and day difference between my Superb without and Kodiaq with.

i wouldn't mind looking into acoustic glass, however i have no idea of part numbers, nor if it would b ever possible for me to source it here in Oz.

10 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Does side acoustic glazing, which I assume is thicker, also need new window seals or other modified parts?

5 hours ago, JR RS said:

i wouldn't mind looking into acoustic glass, however i have no idea of part numbers, nor if it would b ever possible for me to source it here in Oz.

Hmm, I've had a look and can't find them. I'll ask the dealer if they have part numbers as I'm dropping my car off tomorrow.

59 minutes ago, Steviedakota said:

Does side acoustic glazing, which I assume is thicker, also need new window seals or other modified parts?

Not as far as I'm aware - it's two thinner sheets of glass sandwiching a PVB membrane.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1796855&stc=1&d=1522575467

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1