cleaning great fuel injector

1/ Are you sure it's an injector which causes the issue? It could be a fuel filter or something else. Try to get it diagnosed first, maybe :) 

2/ If you are sure it's injector note that injector cleaners are two-edged swords - they can help you, but they can also make the things worse. If other debris or gunk is "cleaned" from your tank by the same injector cleaner, it will go into your fuel filter and eventually through your injectors. So you should try it on your own risk.
3/ I'd heard good things about Archoil AR6400, but when I tried it, the only thing I noticed was that the DPF regenerations became a bit less often for few months. So I can't tell you is it working or not.

Edited by fr1nklyn

I used to use a tank of the Premium fuel on my Ford Focus, every couple of "ordinary"

the difference made it (to me) worth using it all the time.

• Like 1

Yeah, other people in the forum practice the same - premium fuel every 3rd or 4th tank. 
With these gas prices I prefer an additive - it’s cheaper and the result is the same. E.g. Oilsyn, Archoil 6900 or Millers Ecomax. I personally don’t trust others.

• Like 1

One of the best pieces of advice I had with fuel was never run it to empty it disturbs the "sentiment" (sediment) in the fuel tank.

Good advice considering the cost and bother of blocked line filters.

• Groan 1

1 hour ago, gumdrop said:

One of the best pieces of advice I had with fuel was never run it to empty it disturbs the "sentiment" (sediment) in the fuel tank.

What is the sediment, and where does it come from?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gumdrop said:

Good advice considering the cost and bother of blocked line filters.

The amount of fuel tanks I’ve pulled from cars including my old 1984 vw polo and there was literally nothing in the tank, no sediment, debris, dirt.

this thing of not running a tank dry is a load of rubbish to be honest 

• Like 4

You don’t run diesel on low fuel because of the sediment, but because the active DPF regeneration cannot start if the tank is less than 1/4 full.

• Like 2

The only detrimental factors that continuously running a tank down low to empty that I could think of is that the fuel pump in the tank relies on the fuel around it to keep it cool so the pump could overheat and the other is that running high pressure injectors without fuel is not what they were designed for.

VW Group manuals do not recommend any additives to fuel but I have noticed that our Skoda retailers have charged me for putting 'cleaners' through the system during the annual service. I now make a point of telling them not to do it.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

@roottoot. So you can actually use any brand of injector cleaner? Would you have one in mind? My car has no smoke, it's just the jerking or chugging on a cold start. I hope it's just dirt. I'll try redex or mannol

So I just took the 1.4tsi in for its 8th annual service (all Australian Skoda have annual services presumably due to our varied and potentially arduous environment) and since it was topical I asked they did not apply any additives/cleaners during the service.

The service guy responded they did not apply additives and never had, which surprised me a bit and had me doubting my memory, but maybe I was thinking of the former Skoda dealership franchise, or maybe a totally different manufacturer (age can do that to you).

It begs the question that if that is the local Australian policy (which tends to reflect international policies) then are there actually any VW branded additives as Root says?

My manual says:

Fuel additives

Unleaded petrol in accordance with the EN 228 standard meets all the conditions for a smooth-running engine. We therefore recommend that no fuel additives are used. This can result in considerable damage to parts of the engine or the exhaust system.

And there are similar warnings against using additives for diesel fuel and the lubrication oil.

Of course anyone can add what they want to their car just don't go crying to the manufacturers if something goes wrong because you were too lazy to read a manual and believe everything read on the internet.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Haha 1

Thanks Gerry for the post. I had the same problem  last year which is worst. I sent it to the  dealer just before the warranty expires.  They advised me to leave the tank below quarter emptied for the additives to work. I added 1/2 redex system cleaner( 125ml) and I can see the difference when I started the car this morning.  The pick up or power and the engine sound is way better.. just hoping for the best.

On 09/06/2022 at 17:01, meekhong said:

Thanks Gerry for the post. I had the same problem  last year which is worst. I sent it to the  dealer just before the warranty expires.  They advised me to leave the tank below quarter emptied for the additives to work. I added 1/2 redex system cleaner( 125ml) and I can see the difference when I started the car this morning.  The pick up or power and the engine sound is way better.. just hoping for the best.

Why don't you try the Archoil 6400d? I'm not advertising it, but that's what it works for me and I put it once a year.

Put it when your tank is almost empty at the gas station just before filling up. Then drive till 1/4 tank and fill up again to full. That's it.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/448064-car-service-including-fuel-system-treatment

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/472295-oil-and-fuel-additives

Plenty Service Desk Staff in UK Main VW Group / Skoda Dealerships will try to sell you a Fuel Treatment at even the first service, 1 year or 2 year old cars. 

Screenshot 2022-06-10 18.18.34.jpg

Screenshot 2022-06-10 18.00.33.png

Screenshot 2022-06-10 18.01.23.png

Edited by roottoot
  • Haha 1

On 11/06/2022 at 02:33, roottoot said:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/448064-car-service-including-fuel-system-treatment

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/472295-oil-and-fuel-additives

Plenty Service Desk Staff in UK Main VW Group / Skoda Dealerships will try to sell you a Fuel Treatment at even the first service, 1 year or 2 year old cars. 

Screenshot 2022-06-10 18.18.34.jpg

Screenshot 2022-06-10 18.00.33.png

Screenshot 2022-06-10 18.01.23.png

Thanks, obviously they have no shame :) 

Seriously, how is a fuel additive going to improve a new inlet manifold on a car with direct injection??

• Like 1