900 miles to a tank?

Hi.

I recently did a test trip up to John O Groats where I averaged 71.22 MPG and managed to do 839.5 miles to a tank. During that run I had the car loaded with stuff plus I overtook some vehicles on the A9 past Inverness. I want to see if it’s possible to get close to 900 miles with out a remap.

The only problem is I would have to achieve a avg of 76.36 MPG in my petrol 1.2 110. I’m gonna be increasing my tyre pressures from 2.6 bar (38 psi) to 2.8 bar (40 psi) so I get less rolling resistance. I’ve also got a grill block on order to help with the aerodynamics of the car.

I did 80 miles on empty up in the highlands plus once off the motorway it’s all stop start, roundabouts, a lot of hills and tourists so i recon I could some how squeeze out close to 900 if the weather and traffic plays nice. 

Im gonna be doing 2 test runs soon, one which includes a round trip with E10 approximately 860 miles and then another test with E5 which should hopefully bring me closer to 900 miles if not past it.

With the 2 trips I have planned I’ll be going to the End of the M9 motorway just where it then turns into the A9 at that roundabout. I’d then turn around and make the trip back down south.

Impressive, but burning through tankfulls of fuel just to show yourself how economical your car can be seems a tad ironic. 

Why not just measure day-to-day consumption while driving necessary journeys; surely more representative than some eco-marathon?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts exactly when I read the last posting, I'm aghast that someone would want to repeat the experience 2 more times, I can barely afford to put diesel in and use my vehicle.

Last week I mistakenly thought that the French governments subsidy of 18cts per litre was ending at the end of May, I was down to the low fuel light so had another 80 miles before hitting the reserve capacity, before spending close to €100 I checked & found the subsidy ends at the end of June, I did however check the prices at out two filling stations to see which one to go to, they varied by 10cts per litre.

I have only done about 30 miles since and decided to fill up today, both the filling stations have put their prices up 12cts per litre, plain profiteering. I drove 10 miles to another station that was 10cts cheaper which just about covered the cost of the fuel consumed, I felt guilty about doing 20 miles on a point of principal but 2600 miles? 😲

You must really like driving to put yourself through that.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/453741-700-mile-tank-range-citigo

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/335047-so-what-is-the-best-,ilage-out-of-a-tank-anyone-has-got-rapid-is-best-skoda-4-this/page/4

@CY67 

To save others doing the maths how many litres is that you are using? 

So how many litres in the 45 litres tank or when you refuel how many litres to brim it again.  Are you venting it?

PS

Not sure a grill block is the smartest of idea if the weather continues warming up nicely as it is now for the rest of the summer.

Coolant & oil as a coolant works best at the temps that it does and in warmer weather the airflow does it's job.

Cooling oil uses up energy. 

Hypermiling works rather well with Turbo engines at not too high ambient  temperatures and the cooler road surfaces when it is not very sunny helps with the tyres and rolling along using less fuel.

The Hypermiler website has good tips. 

#No.1 tip is do not drive just for the sake of driving.

http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/hypermiling/hypermiling-techniques

PS

I am using the Hypermiling experience i have gained over the decades in EV's now, but i am using electricity i get for free and that means the world is my Oyster while there is Free EV Chargers around, so mostly then it is Scotland that is my Oyster. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I can barely afford to put diesel in and use my vehicle.

Likewise, but with petrol.

However, to the OP: dae whit ye like really, none of us can stop you. But aye, don't drive for the sheer hell of it, IMO.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, roottoot said:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/453741-700-mile-tank-range-citigo

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/335047-so-what-is-the-best-,ilage-out-of-a-tank-anyone-has-got-rapid-is-best-skoda-4-this/page/4

@CY67 

To save others doing the maths how many litres is that you are using? 

So how many litres in the 45 litres tank or when you refuel how many litres to brim it again.  Are you venting it?

PS

Not sure a grill block is the smartest of idea if the weather continues warming up nicely as it is now for the rest of the summer.

Coolant & oil as a coolant works best at the temps that it does and in warmer weather the airflow does it's job.

Cooling oil uses up energy. 

Hypermiling works rather well with Turbo engines at not too high ambient  temperatures and the cooler road surfaces when it is not very sunny helps with the tyres and rolling along using less fuel.

The Hypermiler website has good tips. 

#No.1 tip is do not drive just for the sake of driving.

http://www.hypermiler.co.uk/hypermiling/hypermiling-techniques

PS

I am using the Hypermiling experience i have gained over the decades in EV's now, but i am using electricity i get for free and that means the world is my Oyster while there is Free EV Chargers around, so mostly then it is Scotland that is my Oyster. 

That is very impressive what that guy got out of his Citigo. When I go on longer journeys I brim the tank and depending on how late I leave it can put 50 litres in + on empty my car has a 7 litre reserve so that’s about 58 litres. I travel at night and I wouldn’t subject my car to hot weather with a grill block. Also my recent trip I had a make shift grill block and kept an eye on temps and they all where within the normal area.

My intercooler is at the bottom of my car. I get where yr getting at with coolant and oil temps but as the nights tend to be cooler then the days I’d try and plan around the hot days/nights. Thx for the link to the Citigo thread and the hypermiler website.

I should have added when I go on my longer journeys I go and do stuff at those places and just so happened to want to go to Scotland for a little holiday.

When ever I need to go north again I’ll take tips from the hypermiler website.

• Like 1

When you change the oil next maybe go for 0w 30 FS III, Still VW504 00 / 507 00, but not 5w 30 FS III. 

But do not use VW 508 00 / 509 00, 0w 20 FS IV.

Remember your E10 95 ron is 95 Octane MINIMUM, as is E5 97 ron (min) & 99 ron (min) and not all the same formulation around the UK 

with your Texaco or ESSO 99.  (Minimum)

Then the Winter formulation starting first oop north in Oct / Nov might be as it came into the UK and could be 100 ron plus. 

1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8.jpg

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roottoot said:

When you change the oil next maybe go for 0w 30 FS III, Still VW504 00 / 507 00, but not 5w 30 FS III. 

But do not use VW 508 00 / 509 00, 0w 20 FS IV.

Remember your E10 95 ron is 95 Octane MINIMUM, as is E5 97 ron (min) & 99 ron (min) and not all the same formulation around the UK 

with your Texaco or ESSO 99.  (Minimum)

Then the Winter formulation starting first oop north in Oct / Nov might be as it came into the UK and could be 100 ron plus. 

1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8.jpg

Thx.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2022 at 04:41, CY67 said:

That is very impressive what that guy got out of his Citigo. When I go on longer journeys I brim the tank and depending on how late I leave it can put 50 litres in + on empty my car has a 7 litre reserve so that’s about 58 litres. I travel at night and I wouldn’t subject my car to hot weather with a grill block. Also my recent trip I had a make shift grill block and kept an eye on temps and they all where within the normal area.

My intercooler is at the bottom of my car. I get where yr getting at with coolant and oil temps but as the nights tend to be cooler then the days I’d try and plan around the hot days/nights. Thx for the link to the Citigo thread and the hypermiler website.

I should have added when I go on my longer journeys I go and do stuff at those places and just so happened to want to go to Scotland for a little holiday.

When ever I need to go north again I’ll take tips from the hypermiler website.

I calculate from your original run figures that you  used 53.6 litres of fuel. Did you refill with that amount? It is impressively more than the official 45 litre capacity.

I'd be curious to know what your average speed was for the journey.

2 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

I calculate from your original run figures that you  used 53.6 litres of fuel. Did you refill with that amount? It is impressively more than the official 45 litre capacity.

I'd be curious to know what your average speed was for the journey.

I did a mistake with my calculations as I always thought 5 litres was 1 gallon but it’s 4.56 litres which is 1 gallon so my overall avg was 64.96 mpg. I brimmed the tank and managed to get 58.93 litres in it from empty. That’s when I did my calculations. I did a avg speed of 47 mph. The trip computer said I did 66.6.

With the Skoda Fabia it’s a 45 litre tank with a extra 7 litre reserve so managed to squeeze in a extra 6.93 litres.

From where I filled up I managed to my next destination down in the Lake District 67.4 mpg. That’s what my trip computer said. I managed to do it in under an 8th of a tank on the needle. 

When I next go up north I want to just fill it up to one click as fuel prices are jumping everywhere I go.

I don’t know how to edit the comments I made.

Edited by CY67
  • Like 1

The tank is 45 litres off on the ground it might actually hold 52 litres.  But actually there is the tank. Then up the pipe so brimmed.  Then some VENT the tank if they are away to use the extra litres they get in.  Read about venting.  Many will warn you against it.   Ps you have a limited time to edit if not a freedom member. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Thanks 1

On 17/06/2022 at 17:18, CY67 said:

I always thought 5 litres was 1 gallon but it’s 4.56 litres

Might be a typo but as I have to remind my wife as she always mixes it up it's (and it's one figure I can actually remember) - 4.546 - next digit after decimal place is 0 (nought) so stick to three decimal places, if not two decimal places.

ETA: I'm also not sure you have the tank capacity right by the few times I've refuelled my wife's 2015 Fabia but I'd never be allowed to run the tank dry to find out it's capacity in relation to the fuel gauge.

Edited by nta16
ETA: brackets

I just stick with remembering that an Imperial gallon is 4.546 when using a calculator because i have always known a gallon as that.

The stupidest thing is that we buy fuel in litres and the cars show miles per gallon when miles per litre is pretty easy to work out and what i used especially when i ran LPG's. 

The stupid thing was not adopting the metric system fully in the 1960s.  Mid to late 60s as a young lad I was taught at school about metres and decimetres and then centimetres, the following year at a different school I taught about archaic measurements like a chain🤣

• Like 1

On 21/06/2022 at 19:09, nta16 said:

Might be a typo but as I have to remind my wife as she always mixes it up it's (and it's one figure I can actually remember) - 4.546 - next digit after decimal place is 0 (nought) so stick to three decimal places, if not two decimal places.

ETA: I'm also not sure you have the tank capacity right by the few times I've refuelled my wife's 2015 Fabia but I'd never be allowed to run the tank dry to find out it's capacity in relation to the fuel gauge.

In the manual I think it says it has a 7 litre reserve plus a 45 litre tank so roughly a 52 litre tank but if u push the little black thing in u can cram fuel all the way up to the fuel cap.

Edited by CY67

2 hours ago, CY67 said:

In the manual I think it says it has a 7 litre reserve plus a 45 litre tank so roughly a 52 litre tank

I must admit even though I'm a bit fan of Driver's Handbooks the Fabia one is very poor in some places, I think the 7 litre reserve is some sort of can (canister) that I've never seen as my wife's car was second-hand/used/"pre-loved" or not provided in this country(?) - see below.  When my wife's Fabia mk3 was a lot lower on petrol than usual with the amber fuel (pump) warning lit and countdown of range the fill of petrol suggested about 45 litres to the tank.

457.jpg.38f0f81ec716db8dd0ce2e6a3a2b5dc4.jpg

7can.jpg.c1639504a7ed88d1fd60ebc9519e2af3.jpg

2 hours ago, CY67 said:

but if u push the little black thing in u can cram fuel all the way up to the fuel cap.

Not a good idea in a modern car especially during (very) hot weather like we have now (well at least where I am).   I can do that in my 1973 car but a modern car is a different matter.

I think a mistake many modern drivers make is to take the car's computer's consumption figures or where the needle is on the car's fuel gauge rather than working out simply fuel used by petrol pump display divided into mileage from trip or odometer.

Edited by nta16