Kodiaq MY23 changes

1 hour ago, Yogi-Bear said:

The aforementioned 12.3" digital cluster, for one thing...

Some pretentious, pointless functionality in the front light clusters, for another (I never said it was stuff you actually wanted!)

And the extra climate control screen. That’s in the Audis. It’s pointless and smudgy. But looks cool of course at first look.

You are right that these things will eventually make their way but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some differentiation too as Skoda are going for their own design language now. And let’s face it the enyaq beats the e Tron in many ways. 

1 hour ago, Yogi-Bear said:

The aforementioned 12.3" digital cluster, for one thing...

Some pretentious, pointless functionality in the front light clusters, for another (I never said it was stuff you actually wanted!)

And they have better sound proofing I had an A6 diesel a few years ago it was the best screwed together car I’ve ever had it was so quiet on the motorway 

1 hour ago, iwb100 said:

And let’s face it the enyaq beats the e Tron in many ways. 

In just about every way it matters. Except badge snobbery. Oh, and dashboard - really hope they put a proper size virtual cockpit in the facelift, whenever that turns up. Don't like the teeny tiny display that's in there now.

Oh, and I'd rather they went back to knobs for the a/c controls - don't like all this touchscreen for everything crap... although the CarPlay stuff that Apple showed off the other week might make me change my mind 😄.

We already have digital dash - it's never been the case that the exact same version / size makes it's way down the chain.

One of the few things that annoys me and something both VW and Audi have addressed, is the infotainment screen - the touchscreen buttons on MY23 are still set up for left hand drive. Not only is it quite a stretch from the drivers seat to select say the menu button, it also renders 'gesture control' next to useless ( if it's not already useless ) as everytime you go to press the menu button, the system thinks your waving your hand.  It's an obvious design flaw - I'm surprised Skoda didn't address it. It's just one of the reasons that given the option, I'd have chosen the 8" screen over the 9.2" if it was available on Sportline.

It's difficult to get an exact like-4-like price, but that's another thing that's going like Audi. I note that on broker sites such as Drive-the-deal, Skoda is no longer listed - only usually see that when there's a price change. So I've no means of accurately estimating current discounts but...   I've just configured my car and estimated £600 for Canton which of course is not available at the present time.

Back in Dec 2020, my car with options listed at £38500 and with all the various discounts, I paid £31k. Configuring it right now, it's listing at £41700 for which the discount I'm guessing might be a couple of thousand. That's insane !!  It's even worse when you think it now attracts an extra £325 RFL per year.,

If I were on the search for a car right now I just wouldn't buy another Kodiaq. Whenever we get back to near normal, I reckon depreciation on current cars will be eyewatering.

Edited by kodiaqsportline

13 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

We already have digital dash - it's never been the case that the exact same version / size makes it's way down the chain.

One of the few things that annoys me and something both VW and Audi have addressed, is the infotainment screen - the touchscreen buttons on MY23 are still set up for left hand drive. Not only is it quite a stretch from the drivers seat to select say the menu button, it also renders 'gesture control' next to useless ( if it's not already useless ) as everytime you go to press the menu button, the system thinks your waving your hand.  It's an obvious design flaw - I'm surprised Skoda didn't address it. It's just one of the reasons that given the option, I'd have chosen the 8" screen over the 9.2" if it was available on Sportline.

It's difficult to get an exact like-4-like price, but that's another thing that's going like Audi. I note that on broker sites such as Drive-the-deal, Skoda is no longer listed - only usually see that when there's a price change. So I've no means of accurately estimating current discounts but...   I've just configured my car and estimated £600 for Canton which of course is not available at the present time.

Back in Dec 2020, my car with options listed at £38500 and with all the various discounts, I paid £31k. Configuring it right now, it's listing at £41700 for which the discount I'm guessing might be a couple of thousand. That's insane !!  It's even worse when you think it now attracts an extra £325 RFL per year.,

If I were on the search for a car right now I just wouldn't buy another Kodiaq. Whenever we get back to near normal, I reckon depreciation on current cars will be eyewatering.

Is that not the same on any car though? I bought a Golf GTI Clubsport 12 months ago, got a £5k discount for an in stock model. 12 months later its worth what I paid for it, The nearly new ones are going for more than the retail and the retail has gone up to over £40k basic (for a golf!!!) Discounts are still out there we ordered a brand new Sportline with a better spec than our current model (which is only 2 years old) and the monthly is pretty much the same with no additional money in. Its horses for courses of course and if the arse falls out of it depreciation wise being on a PCP we walk away! All depends on how you finance the car in the first place I suppose I always treat a PCP like I would leasing a car but with a little more flexibility.

Note your points about the screen and interesting that you wouldn't spec the bigger one if you had the 8" option.

On the kodiaq I picked up today there is a manual presumably the new 23 one that only covers the virtual cockpit and the 8 inch digital display. They gave me an addendum for the old analogue cockpit to go with it.

So this change is pretty much confirmed.

As for residual values I don’t agree actually I think the Kodiaq is a car that will retain its second hand value and has to an extent stayed very competitive relative to competition on price. If you want a 7 seat suv other than the Dacia the Kodiaq is superb value. It’s virtually impossible to get a Tarraco nowadays with the chip shortages (have a look see if you can find one) and the Tiguan Allspace if you spec equivalently is a bit pricier and looks a bit boring (sorry for those bit VW fans I used to be one but all their cars now just look like various golfs on stilts). I think the kodiaq will hold its value. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, foxy367 said:

Is that not the same on any car though? I bought a Golf GTI Clubsport 12 months ago, got a £5k discount for an in stock model. 12 months later its worth what I paid for it, The nearly new ones are going for more than the retail and the retail has gone up to over £40k basic (for a golf!!!) Discounts are still out there we ordered a brand new Sportline with a better spec than our current model (which is only 2 years old) and the monthly is pretty much the same with no additional money in. Its horses for courses of course and if the arse falls out of it depreciation wise being on a PCP we walk away! All depends on how you finance the car in the first place I suppose I always treat a PCP like I would leasing a car but with a little more flexibility.

Note your points about the screen and interesting that you wouldn't spec the bigger one if you had the 8" option.

It's all about the badge. Even at over £40k which I agree is eyewatering for a Golf, it has three letters beside it GTi, which is always going to attract. We love Skodas for all different reasons but if desirablilty was one of them then I'd seek psychological help. :D

As for prices couldn't agree more, all depends how you finance the product but don't make the mistake of comparing cash -v- monthly payment as easily as that :D   It's like saying if I were to sell my car now, I'd see approx £2000 loss in depreciation ( used prices are plumiting already now deliveries have returned ) but if I'd taken it on PCP, it'd have cost me £600 x 18mth = £10800 to walk away. There's more to it than that.

If someone is paying the same money for a new car today as they did 18mth ago, what that tells me is they were paying well over the odds for their old car. They may have been happy with the monthly figure and that's all that counts, but trade prices don't increase at the same rate as list prices do - the 'horses for courses' idea sounds like something a good salesman would preach. As sure as the Pope will always be a Catholic, cars will always become more expensive. Is my car worth an additional £325 a year in tax alone before it moves off my drive? I buy Skodas primarily because they're cheaper, but when you cross in to that 'luxury' price bracket...    well I might as well buy luxury is my school of thought.

Had the 8" screen in the Octavia - it's certainly much easier to operate and provides exactly the same information.

Edited by kodiaqsportline

17 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

It's all about the badge. Even at over £40k which I agree is eyewatering for a Golf, it has three letters beside it GTi, which is always going to attract. We love Skodas for all different reasons but if desirablilty was one of them then I'd seek psychological help. :D

As for prices couldn't agree more, all depends how you finance the product but don't make the mistake of comparing cash -v- monthly payment as easily as that :D   It's like saying if I were to sell my car now, I'd see approx £2000 loss in depreciation ( used prices are plumiting already now deliveries have returned ) but if I'd taken it on PCP, it'd have cost me £600 x 18mth = £10800 to walk away. There's more to it than that.

If someone is paying the same money for a new car today as they did 18mth ago, what that tells me is they were paying well over the odds for their old car. They may have been happy with the monthly figure and that's all that counts, but trade prices don't increase at the same rate as list prices do - the 'horses for courses' idea sounds like something a good salesman would preach. As sure as the Pope will always be a Catholic, cars will always become more expensive. Is my car worth an additional £325 a year in tax alone before it moves off my drive? I buy Skodas primarily because they're cheaper, but when you cross in to that 'luxury' price bracket...    well I might as well buy luxury is my school of thought.

Had the 8" screen in the Octavia - it's certainly much easier to operate and provides exactly the same information.

I’m no salesman but I am educated and don’t get drawn in by salesmen and their sell. My wife’s first Kodiaq we put a nominal deposit on as we did on her current Sportline i don’t roll over and take the first offer and like to think I know the market. Let’s face it we’re two years into a 4 year PCP why would I change unless I thought it was a good deal?!

I appreciate what you’re saying Skodas aren’t necessarily a luxury car but there are few cars that do it all for the price the Kodiaq does and for a family car hat has the same space and potentially 7 seats you’d be hard pressed to find one that isn’t already above £40k, I’ve looked at Touregs, XC90’s Kia Sorentos etc and I struggle to find a car that is better value for money they are very good and at least as good as their Seat and VW counterparts I’m more concerned about what will happen with value of cars as we get closer to the ban on ICE cars in a few years rather than current values and that’s perhaps why ‘m more comfortable paying in a PCP knowing if the arse really fell out of the market in the next four years I could walk away.

it really is Stange times 

29 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

I’ve had a kodiaq half a day and already had two people from the street over to ask what it is and one of them is heading down to the dealer tomorrow to have a proper look. So I’m not sure it isn’t a desirable car. It is. I think it’s not a luxury car and that’s the distinction. However, luxury cars would be the xc90, q7, X5, Range Rover sport, gls etc…

And all of those are twice the price of a kodiaq or more. 

It’s like the Sportage in the mid size category. The Sportage is nice. It’s desirable. But it’s not going to cut it if you want a q5, xc60 or GLC. So it’s a desirable mid range car.

Thats how I see the Kodiaq. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Is my car worth an additional £325 a year in tax alone before it moves off my drive? I buy Skodas primarily because they're cheaper, but when you cross in to that 'luxury' price bracket...    well I might as well buy luxury is my school of thought.

Don’t confuse ‘luxury’ with the arbitrary value that the government assigned to it. If the purpose of that move was to charge more for ‘luxury’ cars, then that value would need to increase in line with the car market. It hasn’t, so the only conclusion is that ‘luxury’ was a pretence for a major step in RFL.

At the rate we’re going, you’ll be paying the extra RFL on a Fiesta in 10 years.

• Like 1

They are going to be very rare / scarce for a while yet in the UK and as for Asking Prices then someone might pay it & sometimes they are priced so that the car might not sell for a while but get social media posts.

So they can not flog it until they get the nice tax break from HMRC / us. VW might even tell them to keep it longer if they can not get them another as a demonstrator until later in the year.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/505251-new-brochure-20th-june-2022-one-version-now-from-stock-only

The crazy 'Asking' price of some Kodaiq & Enyaq mean that no matter the demand for cars they are still sitting unsold. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

Had confirmation of the changes, all 3 of them -

8" screen in place of dials

No more cooled glovebox

Roof rails on the SE 5 seat no longer have covers

4 hours ago, roottoot said:

sometimes they are priced so that the car might not sell for a while [...] 

VW might even tell them to keep it longer if they can not get them another as a demonstrator until later in the year

Indeed... from the advert:

AVAILABLE FROM: 17/08/2022 #

# This car is not currently an Approved Used Car and will only be supplied to you when all the Approved Used Car Standards are met.

2 hours ago, AntD said:

No more cooled glovebox

Guess this will be my last Kodiaq then. Only reason I bought 2 of them is because it's a mobile fridge 😃.

Seriously though - all the 'simply clever' stuff is slowly but surely disappearing, and the price differential is closing to VW as well. So what's the point of Skoda as a marque now? Where's the USP?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Yogi-Bear said:

Indeed... from the advert:

AVAILABLE FROM: 17/08/2022 #

# This car is not currently an Approved Used Car and will only be supplied to you when all the Approved Used Car Standards are met.

Suspect they are priced to not sell but if someone rocked up with the tube of a silly amount of money they would?

Just now, Yogi-Bear said:

Guess this will be my last Kodiaq then. Only reason I bought 2 of them is because it's a mobile fridge 😃.

Seriously though - all the 'simply clever' stuff is slowly but surely disappearing, and the price differential is closing to VW as well. So what's the point of Skoda as a marque now? Where's the USP?

They are a good quality cheaper VW?

1 minute ago, Yogi-Bear said:

To be fair I'm gutted about the glovebox, was excited for that and if they'd just got on and built it 🙄

Maybe they'll just become VW for people who don't want to look like VW people.

I kind of agree we’re nearly on our third Kodiaq, the first one had two umbrellas and the pop out door protectors and cooled glove box now it will have one umbrella and that’s it!!! 

1 minute ago, AntD said:

To be fair I'm gutted about the glovebox, was excited for that and if they'd just got on and built it 🙄

Maybe they'll just become VW for people who don't want to look like VW people.

I am both I drive a VW the wife a Skoda I’m not sure what I look like! 😂

4 minutes ago, foxy367 said:

They are a good quality cheaper VW?

That's the point... I'm not convinced they are much cheaper any more. It's all down to which styling you prefer, really.

4 minutes ago, Yogi-Bear said:

They are generally making slightly plusher cars than VW. And they are still cheaper. 

I note reviewers keep commenting on why Skoda have been allowed to go more upmarket than VW itself. Or at the least to an equivalent level but still slightly lower OTR price. 

Compare a Kodiaq to a Tiguan 7 seater and they are still cheaper I suppose and I think out of the tarraco and Tiguan personally I think the Kodiaq is still the better looking one 

4 minutes ago, foxy367 said:

Compare a Kodiaq to a Tiguan 7 seater and they are still cheaper I suppose and I think out of the tarraco and Tiguan personally I think the Kodiaq is still the better looking one 

And a kodiaq is a little plusher inside with some softer materials and a slightly better feel. 

I have always thought the Tiguan interior has been pretty naff with slightly worse materials compared to the far more upmarket-looking Kodiaq interior. But with all the cost cutting and removals of Simply Clever features, I don't see the point. Annoyingly there's basically no other car on the market that suits my needs apart from the Jag F-Pace which is almost 2x what I paid for my RS with the spec I want.

1 minute ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

no other car on the market that suits my needs apart from the Jag F-Pace

The only need a Jag would ever meet is "must break down every 5 miles". I would never argue that a JLR car doesn't have desirable looks... and I'd take a F-type coupe if someone gave it to me... but they consistently come towards the bottom end of reliability and satisfaction surveys for a reason.

10 minutes ago, Yogi-Bear said:

The only need a Jag would ever meet is "must break down every 5 miles". I would never argue that a JLR car doesn't have desirable looks... and I'd take a F-type coupe if someone gave it to me... but they consistently come towards the bottom end of reliability and satisfaction surveys for a reason.

For sure there are plenty of horror stories that happen far too often but there's no SUV that's packaged as well as a 5-seater Kodiaq for leg room and boot size that's a similar overall size, but that's what happens when you go from transverse to longitudinal layouts. The F-Pace boot is the same size as the 5-seater Kodiaq (width & depth) but the rear legroom is closer to a Scala than a 5-seater Kodiaq/Superb. Q7 obviously too big and the X5/GLE don't tickle my fancy except from the obscenely-expensive GLE 53

Edited by ZacDaMan72