Another broken windscreen!

Had a stone inpact that caused a crack about 18 months ago and had a new replacement.

4 weeks ago had another stone chip and massive crack. Whilst waiting for the new screen had another huge crack from another impact!

Today, 2 week old screen got hit by nothing more than a grain of sand and I'm now booked in for a repair!

Are these screens pathetically weak, am I unlucky, or is it the shape of the car?

8 years in a Ford Galaxy and never had a new screen, and had plenty of stones just bounce of that.

14 minutes ago, Shugmo said:

am I unlucky

Maybe you're going thru a "black serie" 🤔

or... driving to close to the car ahead...😜

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 1

Just sounds like bad luck to be honest.

if you were to tell us cracks kept appearing from the edges without any impact damage I’d say there may be rust on the underside of the bonding surface but as there’s impact marks, just bad luck really, sorry 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ApertureS said:

Just sounds like bad luck to be honest.

if you were to tell us cracks kept appearing from the edges without any impact damage I’d say there may be rust on the underside of the bonding surface but as there’s impact marks, just bad luck really, sorry 

I agree, coincidence / bad luck. It happens.

I recently also had crack develop on the top center of the windshield, it then developed around the blacked out part where the rearview mirror/sensors sit and continued almost all the way to the side pillar within days. I could not see (nor did I realize while driving) a noticeable impact that could justify this... Just a teeny tiny ***** that I struggled to find, much smaller than other impacts that could be seen on the glass. 

It’s not necessarily the size of the item, but the shape. A sharp edge impacting the screen at exactly the right angle can crack through the entire outer screen glass which, because it’s under the most stress (40% of the cars structural integrity is provided by the glass) and through the glass flexing, this can cause a fracture to start to creep across the screen. 

• Like 1

I think this is what happened to mine, I could barely see the impact but it caused the outer glass to start cracking and then off it went, probably with the thermal changes since it was over 35 Celsius on some days. 

Got I swapped at the local stealership under insurance but the work could have been a little more perfect, since I can see the black glue on 2 spots near the pillars... I'm a perfectionist and this annoys me... 😅

• Like 1