No-Obligation test drives

As mentioned in other threads I need to buy a new car this summer. And for the first time I’m planning to shop outside the <£2000 bargain bin - unsure of exact budget at this stage. 

Id really like to test drive a few different brands/types of cars  to get a feel for what’s out there. Is it possible to do a few no-obligation test drives with different dealers without having to sit thru a huge sales pitch or anything? How would I go about setting this up?

Go to dealers , traders, car supermarkets at a quiet time and tell the sales people you would like to look at cars for sale and maybe have a test drive.

If they start the offers of a drink, where are you going on holiday and come over as your best friend then make your excuses and leave.

If there is a car you like and they need to keep asking the manager to give you a big bargain because you are lovely tell them to get on their bike.

• Like 3

I've never had a problem asking for a test drive.  It of course makes sense to do it at their quiet times if you can.  The offer of a drink/best friend/let's go inside and crunch some numbers is usually my cue to leave unless I'm seriously interested, and even then if the numbers don't suit, that's me gone.  No need to faff around.

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
quiet, not quite
  • Like 1

I've had mixed experiences, the best experience I've had is probably Available car but it would be a bit of a drive from you.
All of the cars are unlocked, priced and spec sheet in the window, no body follows you around or approaches you whilst browsing. If you are interested just go to reception with the reg number and ask to test drive, they have no limit on the number you can test drive. 

As others have said, I think if you're realistic and choose to test a couple at a quiet time most dealers are happy to oblige.

Those that make it awkward, are pushy or generally unwelcoming l just walk away from as the aftersales service is also likely to be terrible.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, also wondering how long is justifiable for a test drive? Ifeel like I’d need  a good 25 mins or so on a mixture of roads to get a good feel, is that legit?

• Like 1

Yes.

You want the cars coolant up to temp, that is quick, then the oil to normal operating temperature, then  relaxed drive, then some quicker driving testing the steering, braking. harshness of the ride.

Remembering the tyres might be over or under inflated.  30 minutes is maybe enough depending on the location of the garage.

Hopefully they have enough fuel in and can afford a gallon or so for roadtests.   As it is that is all part of their overheads, they only pay tax on profits and every cost the incur from a car coming in until sold and paid for is itemised anyway.

My heart bleeds for them as car Sales People....

Edited by roottoot
  • Love it! 1

used to pull into random dealers and take the odd car for a drive just to do something for a half hour if i had time to kill.

any dealer that wont let you oark a car outside their door and drive a diferent one around without needing you make any sort of commitment is worth avoiding imo, as they clearly have trust issues so are going to be a lot harder to make a deal youd be happy with.

• Like 1

Never ever talk about trade in's.  Never have them go look at your car and give a valuation.  

You look at buying a car, you look at the best price. No matter if finance you want the price.  No free Service Plans or crap.

Then when you get a price and it is not good enough, not cheap enough they start with the we can put a Service Plan in normally £299 but we will include it etc etc.

If you want the car, you want the deal then you still walk saying you are going to think.

You are not signing on the day. 

Then when they are no peeded off you might say'.   Do you want to 'Buy' my car.    But that is only after you have the cost of the car they are selling. 

You are not going on 'cost to change'.

If you have to buy the VED then you do not add that to the finance, or add anything else to the finance.   Just put the VED on monthly payment with the DVLA. 

** It seems easiest to do a deal and your car goes to them and you get the new car when you drop it off.**

That is costing you maybe a week wages or more for that easy deal.  If they want your car to go and punt to WBAC or put away to a mate or auction and make money then you just do the same and advertise a sell it or go to a trader locally and ask if they want it.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

Good advice to avoid the plonkers has already been given.

Just remember no test drive ever has any obligation to then buy the car, becuase you might not like it.

Time wise my general thoughts are to decide what you're predominantly use the car for, town/country or motorway.

If you're unsure on the car you want and doing initial looks, then do your research and sit in the cars in a showroom and narrow it down to maybe 5-10 you like the cabin/room etc of.

Once you have a list of say 5-10 cars then a 30 minute test drive is totally reasonable.

When you're down to 2-3 cars then you work out how long it would take you to get to your required road type (town, country or motorway), factor that into the time and add 30 minutes on to the time to get to it. Typically an hour.

If you are serious then few companies will refuse you a good length test drive when you can name the 2 or 3 other cars you are thinking of.

Of course there is always the exception, such as an certain dealer that refused to let me drive a car because I clearly couldnt' afford it. (I'd come in wearing jeans and a t-shirt)

• Love it! 1

Those salespeople that look down their nose at you are funny. Lovely shirts / blouse / suit / outfit / shoes and they drive a demonstrator and treat you like dirt on their shoes if they think you are a tyre kicker / waste of time.

Check them out on Linkedin if they are there and see what they have worked at.

You do not get that up Aberdeen way where a young fisherman, farmer or offshore / oil workers onshore can afford what ever they want.

A right jumped up youngster in lovely clothes was really cheeky to me in Perth at a prestige dealership while in checking out a car that a family member had already ordered.

So much so that i made a complaint to the Director and Principal Dealer.

Big minter for me as it turned out that the youth was the son of the Dealership Group owner and that was his Dealership.

Edited by roottoot

What does minter mean in this context?

A mistake?

A right little earner?